Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 12:24   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Any suggestions for headlight upgrade
If you want to stick to stock reflectors and electricals (which is what I would strongly recommend), you can try Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Night Breakers, both of the same wattage ratings as OE ones. I had the Philips on my Pajero SFX for quite a few years and the results were very encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Not sure if simply switching to LED bulbs on a stock halogen + reflector headlight assembly is a good idea.
It certainly isn't! There is way too much scattering of light, defeating the entire purpose. Moreover, it would blind oncoming vehicles, leading to possible hazardous situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Interesting video on the Thar 2.2 vs Endeavour 2.0 Diesel.
No offence, but I simply detest these "drag race" and "tug of war" videos that seem to have become a flavor of the season Absolutely crude and unscientific means to compare two vehicles! To make matters worse, vloggers now post comparisons either across entirely different segments (like this one) or for irrelevant segments (who would want to drag race in a 2 ton-plus SUV)!

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th April 2021 at 12:25.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 12:33   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
No offence, but I simply detest these "drag race" and "tug of war" videos that seem to have become a flavor of the season Absolutely crude and unscientific means to compare two vehicles! To make matters worse, vloggers now post comparisons either across entirely different segments (like this one) or for irrelevant segments (who would want to drag race in a 2 ton-plus SUV)!
I myself detest such drag race videos, however for a different reason: safety. These are public roads and some of these vloggers do such stunts with bikes and other cars around which shouldn't be allowed. This should only be done in controlled environments like empty air strips which Autocar uses

Regarding the idea of a drag race, it just tests the 0-100 angle which is again impractical for normal driving conditions. However, one thing it does well is still practically show the power to weight ratio of the cars. Which is helpful to know even for someone who plans to use the car for off-roading. And yes, with a certain level of inaccuracy given the aren't using precise measurement tools, launch control, etc.

Last edited by sid_deb : 30th April 2021 at 12:49.
Old 30th April 2021, 17:03   #1608
HTC
BANNED

After drooling over the new Thar since the launch, impulsively booked it online this week. LX Manual HT Diesel Deep Grey variant. I know the practicality aspects and its shortcomings. Since Thar being a true breed 4x4, felt why not give it a chance. Any how the delivery would take its own sweet time of 10 months or more. In this time, many of the niggles could be fixed by Mahindra. Aftermarket solutions for luggage options might become available. Owning a cast iron Bullet from 2008, I am not new to niggles and quality issues from Indian manufacturers. Looks like I have made peace with it. Keep your expectations to the minimum. And you might even get impressed with what you get. Decided to keep my current car (first gen Figo TDCI) as daily and highway drive if I end up Thar allotted to me. My driving speeds are around 80-90 kmph on highways. At these speeds, Thar should behave just fine with four occupants (Me, wifey and 2 kids). As many have suggested there is no vehicle which will do both the highway and off road duties as well as Thar in <20 lakh price range.

Being a biker first and who takes out car only for family, I will make it a habit to pack luggage compact and minimal. Back in 2009, we did a 12 days Ladakh trip with all cloths, spares, tools, emergency food supplies, extra fuel and what not on a bullet comfortably. Managed space well. Life is all about compromises. I don’t mind compromising some comfort for those once in a lifetime drives to deserts and icy mountains. People from south can relate to this as those in north are lucky to have Himalaya and Thar dessert within one day journey. Many a times I feel jealous reading travelogues from west Bengal folks. Those lucky chaps are so close to mountains!

Meanwhile, I will keep my hunt for a preowned 4x4 in progress. Lets see how things work out. Fingers crossed. Oh wait, can’t keep fingers crossed for 10 longs months. So will just wait till then
HTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 07:55   #1609
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thar fans & owners, don't miss Mithun's awesome DIY on adding projector foglamps - thread link (DIY: FE Retrofit projector foglamps on my Mahindra Thar (2nd-gen)).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 18:07   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Congrats on the majestic addition to your garage!

Any reason why you didn't get the hardwire kit for the dashcam, which would have enabled parking surveillance mode too - in addition to making a wiring as near and tidy like you've done?
Thank you ph03n!x
I haven't gotten the hardwire kit because I remember reading somewhere that it will drain your battery if wiring isn't done correctly or if your car is stationery for more than 2 or 3 days. I wasn't sure about it and didn't want to take the risk. And I don't need parking surveillance being from a small city like Guntur, Andhra Pradesh.

On a completely different note,
I've done about 650kms as of today. Within 5 days of picking up the Thar and what a blast it has been. Switching from an Octavia with Eibach Pro coil overs to a tall off roader did take about 50 kms of driving for me to get used to. But its all good now. There's a bit of wind noise once you reach 70 kmph and above. And it can be solved with a little music.
Done a bit off roading. And this car is very capable off road. Had to use the 4 low sometimes while driving uphill at a quarry. Damn the power of 4L, I could feel the torque trying to turn the wheels despite of me holding down the brakes. No niggles as of yet. The roof leak still exists.
I remember there being a discussion of the rear seats being hollow and that you couldn't place luggage on them. We'll this picture is just for you. Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0075.jpg
I went to get my car tinted today and the dude just parked himself on the holow seat with out hesitation. Later I asked him his weight and he was about 90 kilos. So the rear seats are absolutely fine and you don't have to worry about anything happening to them if you place luggage in them.
I'm attaching a few random clicks of the Thar below as I eagerly wait for my bimbra products to arrive .

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0076.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0077.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0072.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0073.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210501wa0071.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20210501180026.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-videocapture_20210501180055.jpg
Ps: ignore my ugly mats, they're 6 years old and have been lying in a dusty storage area for 4 years. Waiting on some good curly mats to arrive at local accessory store.
darkpython9 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 16:17   #1611
BHPian

Aah the joy of having tinted windows. Alas!
Thar with tints looks so badass!
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:05   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Your vehicle appears a lot "greener" here in this image, than the normal RB - maybe it's the shade it's parked in.

Please share the specs of the film. Will these be flouting the laws in any way?

And what have you ordered from Bimbra?
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:05   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Your vehicle appears a lot "greener" here in this image, than the normal RB - maybe it's the shade it's parked in.

Please share the specs of the film. Will these be flouting the laws in any way?

And what have you ordered from Bimbra?
The fact that it looks a little greener has come across my mind too, but I haven't done anything paint related to the vehicle.

The law requires us to maintain 70% visibility on the front and rear windows. And 50% visibility on the door windows.
I did 50% visibility on the front door windows, 2 layers of 50% visibility on the hard top side windows and 30% visibility on the rear window. Haven't touched the windshield and don't intend to. The picture and the reflection made the windows look super dark, but I'm person it is fairly visible and shouldn't be an issue.
You can compare it to the BMW X4 which has no tint at all. But looks very dark in the picture.
I also got the window nets from Mahindra genuine accessories and they along with 50% tint have done a good job of making the car dark when too sunny. Otherwise they stay in the boot.

As for Bimbra accessories, I'm getting a full roof rack, front and rear armrests, and the rear led fog lights.
I already have led light bars from nilight, USA. Sadly enough got them in November for the Thar which I received last week. I have 2 26 inch bars for the roof and 2 6.5 inch bars to go on the bumper. Will install the light bars after I get the roof rack.
I also ordered cheap wrangler knock off headlights, just to see what the hype is all about. Will get them installed tomorrow. If I don't like them, will return them and go for hid or some alternative. But I think the led bars from nilight should cover up the shortcomings of the wrangler knock offs.
darkpython9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:29   #1614
BHPian

Has anyone had the Thar floor heating up too much?
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've never experienced so much heat from any other vehicle. My feet felt so warm.

Another thing I noticed today was, I got the fuel tank filled up and it didn't show full instantly. After driving for about 10 kms it eventually went up. But the DTE hasn't reset it self.

Done about 900kms, going for a 1000kms check up tomorrow.
Can anyone help me with where I have to check for oil leaks underbody and in the engine bay?
Will get my hardtop sealing also redone tomorrow.
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:52   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone had the Thar floor heating up too much?
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've never experienced so much heat from any other vehicle. My feet felt so warm.

Another thing I noticed today was, I got the fuel tank filled up and it didn't show full instantly. After driving for about 10 kms it eventually went up. But the DTE hasn't reset it self.

Done about 900kms, going for a 1000kms check up tomorrow.
Can anyone help me with where I have to check for oil leaks underbody and in the engine bay?
Will get my hardtop sealing also redone tomorrow.
This one has its DNA traced back to the old Jeeps, a little bit warmness in the floor board is normal however, anything more than the word WARM needs to be inspected by the ASS. Regarding the second issue, level indication issue shouldn’t be there and hence you must take it up with the ASS.

Lastly, after a good wash once the Thar is jacked up, you can inspect the underbody especially near the differential pumpkin and also check for suspension nut tightness at the front and rear. Also since you have driven the Thar over beach and salty water, a thorough wash is definitely needed otherwise you may not know and you will end up with serious trouble. I have seen everything possible happening with people who have driven on sand and salty water including non-starting cars after a few days.

Last edited by abhikb : 3rd May 2021 at 22:56.
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 03:16   #1616
BHPian

All said and done, I still believe the Thar is just a lifestyle vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less.
If one needs any kind of practicality from a vehicle, there are so many other options that do much better than the Thar.
And most importantly, at 16-17 lakhs it's definitely a heart decision than the mind, even for those with deep pockets.
Old 4th May 2021, 08:06   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
The law requires us to maintain 70% visibility on the front and rear windows. And 50% visibility on the door windows.
Well the law, which is applicable Pan India; says, you are not supposed to have any Sun film/Tints on your car's glasses, even if its 10%!!!!

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 19:19. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 09:35   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knshailender View Post
All said and done, I still believe the Thar is just a lifestyle vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less.
If one needs any kind of practicality from a vehicle, there are so many other options that do much better than the Thar.
And most importantly, at 16-17 lakhs it's definitely a heart decision than the mind, even for those with deep pockets.
Thar has always been a lifestyle vehicle and was heart over mind decision for the buyers even in its previous avatar. For those looking out for practicality, comfort and convenience, Thar is definitely not the vehicle to buy. It takes a lot of patience and attention to keep enjoying something like a Thar. Certainly there’s nothing else in the market which turns head like the Thar does.

Secondly, for better co-relation, owning any other car is like dating a Girlfriend and owning a Thar or a Jeep is like living with your wife. People who have experienced both (GF & Wife) in their lifetime will understand what I am saying.

For many Thar/Jeep owners including myself, owning something like this is a dream seen as a child, the picture below depicts the exact thing. When it comes to fulfilling your dreams nothing else matters not even the dearth of practicality neither the price.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c3c4a5b76b074b8493e29655bb8b231b.jpeg

PS: Credits to original photo owner.

Lastly, I always tell one thing to those who are in delima before or buying a Thar, why do you want a Thar at the first place? If you are honest to yourself and can stick to it, the answer should be enough for you to own this beauty for a lifetime.

Cheers and happy motoring to all fellow Jeepers and Thar owners!!!!
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 09:37   #1619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Done a bit off roading. And this car is very capable off road. Had to use the 4 low sometimes while driving uphill at a quarry. Damn the power of 4L, I could feel the torque trying to turn the wheels despite of me holding down the brakes.

Attachment 2151121

Attachment 2151122
Congratulations. And what lovely color and the pictures
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 11:10   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Well the law, which is applicable Pan India; says, you are not supposed to have any Sun film/Tints on your car's glasses, even if its 10%!!!!
I am not too sure about that, but I googled and here's a couple of screenshots.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210504105929_chrome.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210504105812_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations. And what lovely color and the pictures
Thank you so much @anandpadhye.

Here's another picture from the service center

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210504_110533.jpg

The roof work is happening as of now, they've told me it will take a couple of days and that they'll also check if there's any other recalls.

Also, has anyone dampened their Thar?

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 19:18. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Formatting.
darkpython9 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks