Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 21:56   #4576

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Congrats.
Go and peep under the car. If you see a differential and drive shafts at the rear it definitely an AWD!
Btw please post what tyre size & brand the car is coming with.

Thanks! Will peep under the car also. The tyres were MRF wanderers. Didnt note the size during pdi.

The annoying thing about price protection for those that booked on oct 7th is that the price protection is passed on a discount. Because of this we still end up paying road tax on the non discounted figure. Which means that for a top end awd ax7l diesel, we end up paying another additional 18k in road tax in karnataka. Thankfully gst and cess is charged on the discounted figure and not the overall figure.

Last edited by ampere : 9th February 2022 at 22:08. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 9th February 2022, 22:49   #4577
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by umberjogh View Post
The tyres were MRF wanderers. Didnt note the size during pdi.
Which MRF Wanderer variant? I am attaching a pic of the available variants. I would be happy if it came with the A/T.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20220209-10.45.49-pm.png
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:11   #4578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Which MRF Wanderer variant? I am attaching a pic of the available variants. I would be happy if it came with the A/T.
Attachment 2270437
Pretty sure it is the MRF WANDERER STREET wheel.
Old 10th February 2022, 00:02   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
The tyres were MRF wanderers. Didnt note the size during pdi.
Well I don't intend to give you a sleepless night but now that you've mentioned MRF Wanderers I really want you to make sure that you did the PDI for an AWD variant.

As per the the post below, it looks like the non-AWD variants have MRFs and AWD variants have Apollo Apterras. But it may be random too. Who knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
All the other AX7 L had MRF Wanderers, mine had an Apollo Apterra.....not sure if it was because of the AWD. Can someone suggest which is better amongst the two?

Quote:
Attachment 2270437
As per Raghunath's PDI pictures, his AWD is shod with Apollo Apterra HP. Its MRF cousin would be Street series. Otherwise it would be unfair on M&M's part to roll out some cars with A/T tyres and others with H/P.

One more thing I noticed is that according to MRF website the Wanderer A/T tyres don't have a 235/60R18 size. Only the Wanderer Street has that size.
UltraViolence is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 00:10   #4580
BHPian

Underbody of AWD, for those interested.

Sandegov is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 08:20   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Will peep under the car also. The tyres were MRF wanderers. Didnt note the size during pdi.

Which means that for a top end awd ax7l diesel, we end up paying another additional 18k in road tax in karnataka. Thankfully gst and cess is charged on the discounted figure and not the overall figure.
Do note the size when you take delivery. If it is 60 profile & street treads you may need to be careful on rough trails as there will be increased risk of sidewall punctures.
And never assume that the Govt will give you a good deal on taxes. Their rules are only to maximise revenue.
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:00   #4582

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolence View Post
Well I don't intend to give you a sleepless night but now that you've mentioned MRF Wanderers I really want you to make sure that you did the PDI for an AWD variant.

As per the the post below, it looks like the non-AWD variants have MRFs and AWD variants have Apollo Apterras. But it may be random too. Who knows

Pretty sure my vehicle has the mrf wanderer street series and i do think the tyre allocation is random. I saw one more midnight black ax7 petrol AT being delivered at the same time and it had apollo tyres. Infact i assumed at the dealership that awd would have mrf and other cars have apollo
umberjogh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:51   #4583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty sure my vehicle has the mrf wanderer street series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Do note the size when you take delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolence View Post
...now that you've mentioned MRF Wanderers I really want you to make sure that you did the PDI for an AWD variant

As per Raghunath's PDI pictures, his AWD is shod with Apollo Apterra HP.
Quote:
Which MRF Wanderer variant?
My AWD has MRF Wanderer Ecotred tyre. Specs - 235/60 R18 108H. It's a Street model from the MRF Site.
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:07   #4584
BHPian

Quote:
Pretty sure it is the MRF WANDERER STREET wheel.
I can confirm this - they either have Apollo HP or MRF Wanderer Street. I own an Apollo dealership now so my eye is getting keener
I have installed the former (HP) on my Thar CRDe @ 235/65R16. They're ultra-grippy and silent when it comes to Indian tyres. They've served me well climbing massive rocks (the 2 floor height variety.)

This is as opposed to the Ceat 255 A/T on my new Thar - obscenely noisy and with grip issues. But does it reject punctures from Rajasthan thorn bushes well!

The problem with the torque on these cars is that if one were even to go Apollo H/T instead of HP, let alone A/T or M/T, there will be mild wheelspin on cold roads on flooring the accelerator (imagine simulating a race launch) - though you will gain a better-reinforced sidewall with a better tread for mild muddy patches. HP is more expensive than H/T.

The sidewall height on the AX7 is abysmal. Tyre choice in R18 is abysmal - try to swap out to an R16 alloy on day 1 if possible if poor roads is your gig.

I thus happily settled for MX and AX5 diesel bookings seeing as how the extra $$ for the poorer wheels and the mandatory extra rear seats didn't make sense for me (I barely ever have a third passenger, so a 2+1 seating configuration for the old Thar and a 2+2 config for the new Thar made sense. In fact, I may get a single rear seat chopped up and removed in the new Thar - makes room for a regular depth woofer, luggage, and easy ingress for passenger #3.)

P.S. - it is unfortunate how many calls I get for odd slow-moving tyre size replacements - I own a tyre dealership at Abu Road (the foothills of Mt. Abu in Rajasthan.)
I recently got a call from a 4 woman gang who were struggling with a speed limited temporary spare on their Seltos (as we know the 700 has the same shortcoming), and even I couldn't help. The nearest depot for Apollo is at Udaipur and the quickest TAT for such tyres is 2 days - not one of the other 10 shops in the neighbourhood had it! Imagine being stranded on a temporary speed limited spare!
The XUV700 spare is rated at what I think is 155 or 165 width and 60 PSI. For all those who have bought 5 seater variants, replace your spare with a full size spare and keep it in the boot. I'm sure a good mechanic can fabricate and weld a mount for it so that it doesn't move.

On another trip back from Mussorie last weekend, a Fortuner was jacked up - they couldn't remove the spare from under the car Good idea to have it inside the boot instead - maybe make a mould over it.

Last edited by wooka : 10th February 2022 at 10:14.
wooka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:53   #4585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The sidewall height on the AX7 is abysmal. Tyre choice in R18 is abysmal - try to swap out to an R16 alloy on day 1 if possible if poor roads is your gig.
I think you meant you have installed a 70 profile in your Thar CRDe, Apterra HP will exceed the spec but it does not have a more open shoulder design or a stone guard like the OEM Dueler D689.

Will an R16 wheel fit over the brake calipers of XUV7OO? Even the XUV5OO & Scorpio 3rd gen (with mHawk engines) did not have R16 I think, they moved to R17 minimum. Besides anything less than R17 will look awkward on a XUV7OO.

Quote:
Wanderer AT will not meet the spec, Street seems to be designed specifically for crossovers.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:36   #4586
BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20220210113349.jpg
The precious date was 14th March, Mahindra seems to be updating the algorithm based on cancellations.
yuvmudapa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 15:49   #4587
Senior - BHPian

M&M announced that XUV 700 has received overwhelming response, 1Lakh+ bookings in 4 months.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-smartselect_20220210154423_twitter.jpg

Thar and XUV700 saw a 10 percent cancellation in bookings.

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:47   #4588
BHPian

After 5 months of "Waiting for Godot", the car is finally at the dealership. The car was shipped on the 5th of Feb and it reached on the 9th of Feb. Wasn't expecting the car to reach so early so the 9th and 10th have been quite busy, arranging the finances and also planning for the 250+kms trip to bring Godot home. If all goes well, we'll be taking delivery tomorrow and then directly PPF and then bring it home on the 12th of Feb. Have to say, this has been a pleasant experience thus far - barring a few instances here and there (like the constantly changing delivery timelines and the abrupt nature with which it reached - but that's hardly the fault of the dealership, it's more to do with supply constraints on Mahindra's side).

I wanted to ask something as well: Since we won't be registering the car in the city but rather at our town which is in another district, we will be driving through tolls without fastag for the return journey. In that case would we have to pay the fine? Or is there some leeway for newly bought vehicles running on a temporary number? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-vehicle-dealership.png  

wadewilson is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:54   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
After 5 months of "Waiting for Godot", the car is finally at the dealership. The car was shipped on the 5th of Feb and it reached on the 9th of Feb
Congrats mate and wish you loads of fun filled miles ahead, am sure all the frustrating wait and moving dates will soon be forgotten with your first drive home

Please do keep us posted on your initial impressions, mainly on how the AWD drives and OEM tyre performance.
Sandegov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 19:20   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Congrats mate and wish you loads of fun filled miles ahead, am sure all the frustrating wait and moving dates will soon be forgotten with your first drive home

Please do keep us posted on your initial impressions, mainly on how the AWD drives and OEM tyre performance.
Thank you Sandegov. Will definitely post an initial impressions on Godot once it's home. This will be our first Mahindra, so excited and terrified on that prospect as well - Fingers crossed that no hardware issues would crop up

Also, I haven't been that active on our forums lately, especially this thread, did you get delivery of your XUV as well? Would love to checkout the pictures
wadewilson is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks