Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 11:04   #5401
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by benroth View Post
It's Midnight black. May I know which PPF brand have you considered. Thank you
I have got the job done by Detailing Street in Jaipur, they use Pro Shield brand PPF; I paid Rs. 16,000 for the bumpers, tailgates and edges of four doors.
sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:52   #5402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Since this has been 2nd question on Diesel vs Petrol, i thought to open excel and start with basic math.
Building upon what woodstock came up with, except changing the diesel mileage to reflect realistic city numbers, you get savings of 550K+ over a period of 10 years! Even if you include DEF and higher maintenance costs of diesel, it is still a huge margin to beat. Diesel is a no-brainer at least for cities without the 10 year rule.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20220426-12.44.01-pm.png
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:03   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Building upon what woodstock came up with, except changing the diesel mileage to reflect realistic city numbers, you get savings of 550K+ over a period of 10 years! Even if you include DEF and higher maintenance costs of diesel, it is still a huge margin to beat. Diesel is a no-brainer at least for cities without the 10 year rule.

Attachment 2301082
I guess now a days, the dilemma of diesel vs petrol is not only about running cost. On paper, a diesel car will fare much better as the calculations show.

I am sure if someone is willing to spend 20-25lacs already, spending additional 1-1.5 lacs for corresponding diesel model won't matter so much if not for the points as follows.

The main issue is that most of us city dwellers are worried about the future threat of NGT ban. This will drastically reduce the resale value and presents an additional headache of what to do with the car after long term ownership. Another issue is DEF which may cause high maintenance and inconvenience specially if car is used majorly for city runs. All these potential issues might result in not so peaceful long term ownership vs a petrol car, barring the monthly fuel bill.

So it is about high running cost of Petrol vs uncertain future / maintenance of Diesel cars. I am not sure there is a logical way to address this concern and that's why this question about which model to buy keeps popping up.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 26th April 2022 at 13:23.
Aviator_guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 14:48   #5404
BHPian

Thanks Tanmay007.

Aviator_guy : you have captured the essence of my question perfectly.

It is not just about the savings (which no doubt are substantial for diesel), but about the changing regulations and the maintenance.

Personally, I would love to get the D AT AWD, but the question still persists - specially with the low running scenario.

At this point, I have gone ahead and made both the bookings - P AT and D AT AWD. This just gives me more time to make a decision.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:46   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I guess now a days, the dilemma of diesel vs petrol is not only about running cost. On paper, a diesel car will fare much better as the calculations show.

I am sure if someone is willing to spend 20-25lacs already, spending additional 1-1.5 lacs for corresponding diesel model won't matter so much if not for the points as follows.

The main issue is that most of us city dwellers are worried about the future threat of NGT ban. This will drastically reduce the resale value and presents an additional headache of what to do with the car after long term ownership. Another issue is DEF which may cause high maintenance and inconvenience specially if car is used majorly for city runs. All these potential issues might result in not so peaceful long term ownership vs a petrol car, barring the monthly fuel bill.

So it is about high running cost of Petrol vs uncertain future / maintenance of Diesel cars. I am not sure there is a logical way to address this concern and that's why this question about which model to buy keeps popping up.
Completely agree with your points mentioned that it is no longer such an easy decision as it may seem on paper. Fuel expenditure in the petrol will disappoint a lot of people coming from smaller/diesel vehicles but any person booking the petrol variants should be completely aware of this before purchase else they are likely to have post purchase regrets.

Having 2k done on my AX7L P AT already, I am getting around 8.5km/l with 50% city/highway and around 10-11 for highway runs. This is more than satisfactory for such a powerful and refined engine. Having the XUV500 diesel AWD and Creta Diesel previously it was a no brainer after test driving the petrol version in XUV700, I did not even consider the diesel regardless of any cost factors.

The primary reason to consider the petrol was purely for the refinement of the engine which took me by shock having driven only diesels for last 10 years. The difference is very obvious if one drives the petrol & diesel models back to back. If comfort is key then one should get petrol hands down and the experience is very enjoyable to the point initially many times I walked away from the car without noticing that engine was still on. The only noise I hear inside the car are from the mediocre Apollo tires, I am still contemplating changing them to Conti or Goodyear in the very near future.

Now if one enjoys power & acceleration then again there is no question that the Petrol AT is the best out all the variant combinations. I am a heavy footed driver and it is very easy for me to get 6km/l with aggressive driving but I am just not that person anymore. I much rather prefer to cruise comfortably in this car and challenge myself to get better mileage than the previous run all the while knowing how much power is available on tap whenever needed. This car reaches 120 so fast that it actually feels like car is going at 60. This car can be scary and subtle depending on the driver's mood but it is definitely very comfortable although I feel the under thigh support for driver could have been better.

These are some of my reasons to chose the petrol, and I am more than satisfied with my decision.
souvik6 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 18:42   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post

These are some of my reasons to chose the petrol, and I am more than satisfied with my decision.
Same are my thoughts, I also switched from driving diesel XUV500 to Petrol AT Luxury variant, I also never considered the diesel engine.
Old 26th April 2022, 19:08   #5407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
The main issue is that most of us city dwellers are worried about the future threat of NGT ban.
It's a natural doubt to have but making purchase decisions based on assumptions vs hard data is a mistake. Who's to say 5 years down the line NGT will not bring down the limit for petrol to the same 10yrs as diesel? All assumptions will go down the drain then.

Decisions about petrol vs diesel should be made solely based on your usage, needs and situation right now. Have less than 10K/yr usage or live in Delhi NCR, consider petrol otherwise diesel makes sense.

As for refinement and nvh levels on the diesel variant, anyone who has taken a TD of the diesel will vouch for it's refined nvh. Same goes for DPF issues, it's been ~6 months now and we've heard all sorts of issues including battery, screen, suspension, etc but have you really heard about any DPF issues?

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 26th April 2022 at 19:09.
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 20:02   #5408
BHPian

Quote:

As for refinement and nvh levels on the diesel variant, anyone who has taken a TD of the diesel will vouch for it's refined nvh.
I agree. The engine is very well refined.

The other major point is, if anyone is looking for AWD, Petrol is not an option even if other factors and usage point towards Petrol
Old 27th April 2022, 08:13   #5409
BHPian

Absence of driving modes in petrol makes it even more difficult to extract more mileage from it. A zip mode option would have been great to have.
Dark water is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 09:42   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
As for refinement and nvh levels on the diesel variant, anyone who has taken a TD of the diesel will vouch for it's refined nvh.
I echo with Tanmay here. While booking, I took back to back test drive for Xuv700 in Petrol AT & Diesel AT in AX7L variant.

Yes, Petrol is more refined and that was as per expectation.

However, refinement in Diesel was more than expectation. Though not as quite as Petrol, however Noise in cabin was less & satisfactory for me. I recently took travelled in my friends Crysta and felt it was louder than Xuv700.

I have a different dilemma now - Given I keep cars for greater than 10 years (& this will have to be an exception as I'm from Delhi & buying a Diesel) my Dilemma is - Will Xuv700 be as rattle free (or khud khud khud free) as Honda City / Crysta over 10 years ? My friend who I just told that i have booked Xuv700, says it's a Mahindra vehicle and will have all kind of noises in just 2-3 years. (This will be more than my EMI Period :( )

Last edited by woodstock3001 : 27th April 2022 at 09:44. Reason: Additional comments
Old 27th April 2022, 11:01   #5411
BHPian

I bought my diesel i20 just days before the NGT 10 year ban. At that time, I thought 10 years is a long time and the law will be challenged/modified in a few years. No such thing has happened in the last 7 years, instead the restriction seems to have spread to more parts of the country.

I feel if you're spending 22+ lakh, fuel bill difference of ~60k/annum (which is less than 3% of the cost of the car) shouldn't be so much problem.

With a diesel, you may save money every time you fill up the tank but that savings will be more than negated when you sell it.

So the question really is: do you want to spend extra constantly over the life of the car or lose extra at one go at the selling time.

For those of us with 7+ year old diesels who are at the receiving end of the NGT ban, petrol is the obvious option.
naru80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:40   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Also, I didn't understand how auto hold makes driving with manual transmissions easier with respect to clutch operation. You'd still need to disengage the transmission each time you brake to a halt, and engage it when you begin rolling again.

Thanks.
In the scenario like taking U-turn on uneven surfaces, like inclined roads, one would typically move the car back and forth to complete the manoeuvre and that would have involved applications of braking but with Auto Vehicle Hold (AVH), one would manipulate only forward and reverse gears and not the braking. AVH is just a convenience like all other features and none replaces the skills of driving in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Any advise / inputs would be highly appreciated.
I wanted an L AWD in petrol but none were available so I went ahead with L DAT AWD. I wanted AWD because sometime I do go to soft off-road every few months and twice my car had been stuck, once in Gavi Forest, Kerala and before that on the banks of Thippagondanahalli Reservoir, near Bangalore. In former case, I could find alternate track quickly but in later case the car's front right wheel was stuck and had to use Indian jugaads to get tractions to it.

Coming to the point of probable enforcements of restrictions on diesel vehicles, like was done in the capital, I am bit optimist for Bangalore in those fronts. Bengaluru had not been a flag bearer in Enforcements of Policies and recommendations. Following lists some instances which have not yet been implemented after many years -

- Ban on Akrama/Sakrama never happened (official mechanism to legalise illegal structures) when multiple PILs have been filed to ban it
- Encroachments of lakes continue to happen and biggest encroacher had been BDA itself; till late 1990s, then Bangalore had 1256 lakes but now only 256 are left behind at best and many are dried out and are more of sewages than lakes
- Enforcements of NGTs recommendation on constructions near water bodies and drains, I believe, are far from being properly implemented
- Repeated reprimands from courts, including high court, regarding roads, flooding and other infrastructure issues have not affected Bengaluru Government Departments in any way and residents continue to develop skills to find roads amongst potholes or learn to swim or drive through flooded roads or learn to avoid falling into open drains even in pitch dark places in the city etc..

Such administrative inactions have a long list of items and listing them all will not be relevant here. However, this does suggest that the enforcements do not generally happen, so, any kind of ban may not happen on Diesel vehicles in Bangalore so soon, it may not even happen in next 15 years or so.

For maintaining diesel vehicle, the biggest painpoint, I believe is Diesel Partifulate Filter cleaning, which requires one to drive the vehicle for about 30 mins at 60kmph or do a parked auto regen, if driving is not possible.

I think, if you don't go to soft off-road, you can stick to Petrol AT instead of AWD. The Petrol really drives well and I don't think the torque is an issue there. I did some off-road drive in Petrol and I did not find any issue there.
waypoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:33   #5413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post

Such administrative inactions have a long list of items and listing them all will not be relevant here. However, this does suggest that the enforcements do not generally happen, so, any kind of ban may not happen on Diesel vehicles in Bangalore so soon, it may not even happen in next 15 years or so.
Remember the Supreme Court can pass such rules that may apply to all of the top 10 or top 20 cities across the country by population, that will apply to Bangalore as well. The 10 year Diesel vehicle rule in Delhi was finally enforced by Supreme Court only.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:22   #5414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Remember the Supreme Court can pass such rules that may apply to all of the top 10 or top 20 cities across the country by population, that will apply to Bangalore as well
Indeed, the SC may come up with such an order but the enforcements will be lethargic and infamous corruption will flourish in the wake of such orders to extract money from citizens. The government functionaries too, especially legislators, have heavily invested into luxury diesel vehicles and their intended usage makes NCR type of implementation unlikely.

One example to compare regarding implementation is that there are rules for 10-15% quota for EWS housing in all projects but what had been happening around that for so many years, we all know. It is not by chance that Karnataka's MLAs are richest. Even high court thinks that the government officials are thick skinned. So, even if there comes an order, it is to be seen how diligently it will be implemented.
Old 27th April 2022, 22:17   #5415
BHPian

Hi guys,

Got to see my BLue Beluga today finally after a looong wait.. PDI completed, AX5 P AT Electric Blue, should be home with me by the weekend..

looking forward to some happy and carefree mile munching.
shiven2207 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks