Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:01   #5371
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Can ADAS be switched off? I came across videos where ADAS has caused accident on roads
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:36   #5372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
Can ADAS be switched off?
Yes you can turn off every ADAS feature completely or even keep it at a alert-only level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
I came across videos where ADAS has caused accident on roads
Care to share these videos?
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 20:08   #5373
BHPian

Has anyone encountered OTA updates for the car? When I started the car today morning after switching off for around 10min, MID showed the blue update screen which asks not to switch-off. The screens went blank for a while after that, speakers made a couple of loud thumps and volume, audio source, MID selection etc. reset. While I tend to believe this was yet another Adrenox glitch, seeing the update screen makes me believe otherwise. Any similar observations? I couldn't read the details as the update screen was visible only for couple of seconds.
Old 24th April 2022, 00:36   #5374

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Has anyone encountered OTA updates for the car? When I started the car today morning after switching off for around 10min, MID showed the blue update screen which asks not to switch-off. The screens went blank for a while after that, speakers made a couple of loud thumps and volume, audio source, MID selection etc. reset. While I tend to believe this was yet another Adrenox glitch, seeing the update screen makes me believe otherwise. Any similar observations? I couldn't read the details as the update screen was visible only for couple of seconds.
Even I encountered this few days back and it kind of spooked me as I was in the middle of my journey! I was returning back to BLR via Agumbe ghats section.

Just before starting the ghats section I stopped at a Petrol station and when I started, the screens were completely blank. I restarted the engine and I see the Software Update screen with instruction to not switch off. This was only for a few seconds and I couldn't observe the details or click a pic. Though I was glad that the display was back, there was an alert saying that there is Hill hold control error! (Do not recall the exact message displayed, forgot to take a pic as well due to the confusion caused).Reading this kind of error in the middle of the journey, gave me a few anxious moments! After a while I restarted the engine and the alert was gone! Didn't face any other issue after this. Anyone has any idea why this alert was displayed? Should I get it checked?
Old 24th April 2022, 12:08   #5375

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Question to 7OO Owners.

2. Anyone got Reverse Camera from dealership ?
If yes, how is the quality ?
And does the rear view is visible on existing display screen or have they added any extra screen module ?
I got Mahindra generic reverse camera from dealer. The fitting is next to license plate and the display is in the center display of car itself. The camera quality is adequate in day but pretty average at night. But it was the best compromise.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20220410_081333.jpg  

gauravkaushik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 13:04   #5376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzasch View Post
Though I was glad that the display was back, there was an alert saying that there is Hill hold control error!
This HHC errors was displayed in my case too but disappeared after a power cycle. I have seen this error 4-5 times till now and had let the ASC know about it but they treated it as yet another Adrenox glitch.

Last edited by impala : 24th April 2022 at 13:08.
Old 24th April 2022, 13:35   #5377
BHPian

I recently got a chance to spend a good amount of time TD-ing the vehicle over a variety of road conditions. Following are my observations and initial impression.

Variant driven - AX7 L Diesel Manual

What I liked
  • Engine and Transmission – Superb engine response with ample torque and power delivery all around. I have driven in Zap mode and forgot to test in Zoom mode! Zap mode seemed sufficient for most scenarios. The clutch was light and gears were smooth to operate and I didn’t feel any difficulty and was not feeling any strain even after 1 hour drive through various traffic and road conditions.
  • Ride and Handling – The ride felt balanced for most part. In city, it’s really effortless to drive and ride felt comfortable. Small road undulations are not felt inside however you do feel the potholes but it’s not at all intrusive to spoil your ride comfort. At high speeds, slight body roll is felt and steering feedback is not up to an enthusiast’s taste. Make no mistake, there is no nervousness felt and you can easily cruise in legal speed limits with confidence. The FSD suspension on both front and rear makes the ride pretty comfortable over bad roads without losing much stability. Like I said, it felt balanced with respect to both ride and handling.
  • NVH – For a 2.2L turbo diesel engine, the noise is acceptable. In fact, I didn’t notice it much thanks to the adequate insulation provided. There was no vibrations in the pedals, gear and steering and overall impression on NVH is impressive.
  • Looks – I liked the overall design except for the tail light. Both XUV 5OO and Marazzo have terrible tail light design and it seems XUV 7OO also follows the suit. I must say that I like XUV 3OO’s tail light design. Also the vehicle has good road presence and I liked its stance. However, in the overall looks department, it’s the Harrier/Safari twins that wins hands down.
  • Build and Safety – Build quality and fit and finish is impressive but don't expect European standards. As we all know, they got 5 star rating at GNCAP tests. Like they advertise, India’s safest car remains a Mahindra.

Features worth mentioning
  • Manual with auto hold!!! – Now this was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought auto hold function came only with automatics. Please note that I’m not talking about Hill hold function. If this is provided in a manual, I seriously wouldn’t require an AT as the main pain point with MTs are the frequent clutch operation on slow moving traffic. Will it create more wear and tear on brake pad, clutch plates etc. compared to AT is something to be seen. But if this is indeed possible (it could be that the presence of EPB makes it possible), I’d urge manufactures to bring this extremely useful feature to MT variants.
  • GPS based navigation – Useful feature in theory, when your mobile doesn’t have coverage or internet is not available. Jeep Compass Model S also have this feature.
  • Custom drive mode - Allows you to do a mix and match of the engine power, steering response etc. in case you want a bit more customization than the pre-built (Zip, Zap and Zoom) modes.
  • Availability of Video footage in case of an accidents – As per SA, if the airbags gets deployed in the unfortunate event of an accident, then the recording will be saved without getting overwritten. On other occasions it will be saved but will be overwritten in case disk space is not available. The recording seems to provide 360 degree view of the incident. However, it seems these cannot be transferred to a different device, say our mobile phone.

What I didn’t like
  • Too much tech – Primarily, ADAS, Infotainment System and Instrument Cluster. I personally prefer not to have ADAS yet. Because of the way our road driving conditions are, I’ll abstain from it for the time being. Having said that it’s good to see these being implemented and in the long term would prove to be useful. I think there is a way to turn ADAS off completely but I couldn’t confirm it while TDing. If it can’t be turned off, then it’s a huge -ve for me. Also I’m skeptical about all digital instrument cluster. We already have seen many threads in the forum citing instrument cluster failing to turn on thus missing critical driver information display. This is not only inconvenient but also unsafe. Also many a time, I had to take my eyes off of the road to find settings that are only available via the infotainment system.
  • Plastic quality on top of dash – The quality of the plastics and fit and finish on top of the dashboard looked cheap and stood like a sore thumb. Maybe newer versions have better fit and finish. The one I drove was from the very initial batch.
  • Waiting period – The infamous waiting period with SA quoting 9 months for Diesel and 1+ year for Diesel AWD. In reality, the delivery might happen soon but I don’t expect it to be lower than 6 months at least for now.
  • Tail lamp design – As mentioned above, I didn’t like the design. It looks odd IMHO.
  • Lack of practical variants – Mahindra should provide option to have AX7 without ADAS. Also the luxury pack is restricted to AX7 models. They should provide it in AX5 variants at least.

Overall, it’s an excellent package and Kudos to Mahindra for bringing in such a wonderful product. Had it not been for the waiting period, I’d have booked it without a second thought. Of course we should be ready to take risk with niggles that are common in Mahindra and with too much tech, it’d open new avenues for tech related niggles.

Disclaimer: All points are from a drivers points of view and I couldn’t test the rear seat comfort etc.
techmotor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 18:10   #5378
BHPian

Any update on the Apple CarPlay guys? It’s almost 4 months since I bought the vehicle and it’s irritating to see the ‘coming soon’ tab every time on the Home Screen ☹️
Enthusiast81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 21:04   #5379
BHPian

Hello All,
The white interior on AX7 & above is a challenge to maintain.
Requesting the knowledgeable members of the community to share some tips on how they are maintaining the interiors?
Is the seats cover made of genuine leather or artificial leather?
There are lots of interior cleaning products available on amazon, not sure which one will be good to use.
Old 24th April 2022, 21:16   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Opinion needed BHPians

i have booked AX7 D (Non L) on 5th Feb but Now I am getting tempted to book AX5 D looking at the waiting time of 44 weeks. i called the SM and he told be to additionally book AX5 and then take whichever comes earlier. he said that 21k he will refund or Adjust in Accessories. ADAS + Cruise control + better interiors is telling me to stick to AX7.

What do you guys think i should do?

TIA
Dear Wasim, I'm in same boat as yours and even more confused in color selection. Having said that, i have gone ahead & taken plunged today by booking White AX7 Diesel AT, over AX5 despite AX7 costlier than approx 2 lacs as i believe it justifies the features it offers over AX5.

& Since I keep cars for approx 10 years, i preferred going with full features within my budget, and with waiting period of 88 weeks
woodstock3001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 21:58   #5381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
i have gone ahead & taken plunged today by booking White AX7 Diesel AT
Curious about what made you go for Diesel in Delhi?

Quote:
Even more confused in color selection.
Not sure about it, but i read somewhere that the production batches are color based. A friend who booked on 7 Oct in the Silver color is yet to get delivery, another who booked same variant in the White shade one month later has already got his. If you're not particular about color, you may want to explore this further.

Last edited by naru80 : 24th April 2022 at 22:07.
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 22:12   #5382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Curious about what made you go for Diesel in Delhi?
There are couple of reason why I thought Diesel makes sense to me.

1. My brother in law has Midnight Blue Xuv700 AX7L Petrol AT & average reported by him is very bad. He reported 7KMPL in delhi when we spoke last week.

During Jan 2022, we went to Shimla in 700 & had a fuel bill of 7000 INR, therefore I'm looking forward to Diesel. That scared me to be honest. I covered 75K in 9 years in my Honda City before selling it off (Incl. 2 years of lockdown),

2. Plus Diesel vs Petrol same variant price difference is only 1.5 lacs.

3. Plus my annual run will be approx 10k - 12k kms and this will be HR26 registration. I've already spoken to Dealer & have got Gurgaon address proof.

Having said that, if you think I havent made a right choice, we can discuss further over coffee as you're in Delhi too & I have a week to amend my decision, as i have only booked this afternoon only.

Color confusion is because we already have Midnight Blue in family, so we selected White. We checked all other colors as well, but felt White is next best.
Old 24th April 2022, 23:11   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
3. Plus my annual run will be approx 10k - 12k kms and this will be HR26 registration. I've already spoken to Dealer & have got Gurgaon address proof.
Isn't the registration period of Diesel cars 10 years in Delhi NCR (incl. Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Noida)?
car_monarch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 02:27   #5384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmotor View Post
[*]Manual with auto hold!!! – Now this was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought auto hold function came only with automatics. Please note that I’m not talking about Hill hold function. If this is provided in a manual, I seriously wouldn’t require an AT as the main pain point with MTs are the frequent clutch operation on slow moving traffic. Will it create more wear and tear on brake pad, clutch plates etc. compared to AT is something to be seen. But if this is indeed possible (it could be that the presence of EPB makes it possible), I’d urge manufactures to bring this extremely useful feature to MT variants.
I don't have much experience with automatics (last I drove one was in 2015), auto hold or hill ascent control. From what I understand (reducing to its essential operations):

Auto hold:
- when enabled, is activated when the vehicle is braked to a stop. Brake pressure would continue to be applied after the foot is off the brake pedal.
- this condition would persist indefinitely until the accelerator pedal is depressed.
- would be activated on both level roads and inclines.
- no need for the hill ascent control feature to be separately provided as it's feature is covered by auto hold.

Hill ascent control:
- would be enabled when the vehicle is braked to a stop on inclines (sloping upward or downward) past a certain angle.
- the brake pedal should continue to be depressed.
- is activated for a few seconds when the brake pedal is released (a forward gear must be engaged if sloping upward and vice versa). Brake pressure is applied for a few seconds to prevent the vehicle from rolling. The accelerator needs to be depressed within this period, there by controlling the vehicle's movement.
- is not a substitute for manual force on the brake pedal, unlike auto hold.

Have I got this right?

Also, I didn't understand how auto hold makes driving with manual transmissions easier with respect to clutch operation. You'd still need to disengage the transmission each time you brake to a halt, and engage it when you begin rolling again.

Thanks.

Last edited by dearchichi : 25th April 2022 at 02:41. Reason: Typos, clarity.
dearchichi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:17   #5385
BHPian

Quote:
He reported 7KMPL in delhi when we spoke last week.

During Jan 2022, we went to Shimla in 700 & had a fuel bill of 7000 INR

Plus my annual run will be approx 10k - 12k kms

Having said that, if you think I havent made a right choice, we can discuss further
I don't think there is any right or wrong choice... it depends on individual cases. For eg: I have a 7 year old diesel i20 in immaculate condition. Very frustrating that I have to start looking for buyers now to get decent value. Don't want to go through that again.

Quote:
Color confusion is because we already have Midnight Blue in family, so we selected White. We checked all other colors as well, but felt White is next best.
Midnight Blue and White are both smashing but the darker shade is a pain to maintain. White saves you the cleaning hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_monarch View Post
Isn't the registration period of Diesel cars 10 years in Delhi NCR (incl. Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Noida)?
Not sure of this but I have been told a Haryana registration makes it easier to sell in other parts of the state where the 10 year rule doesn't apply whereas transferring from Delhi incurs additional cost.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks