A drag race with XUV700

Old 25th April 2022, 15:56   #5387
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by benroth View Post
A drag race with XUV700

https://Youtu.be/J-fVMyckm6Q
This is kind of a silly drag race IMO. Also, they have not compared like for like cars. They should compare a Polo Petrol Manual with an XUV 700 Petrol Manual. Or compared the Polo Petrol TSI DSG with a XUV700 Petrol Auto. Instead, they compare a Petrol with a Diesel.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 16:10   #5388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post

Also, I didn't understand how auto hold makes driving with manual transmissions easier with respect to clutch operation. You'd still need to disengage the transmission each time you brake to a halt, and engage it when you begin rolling again.
This is useful in very slow moving traffic where you can't go past the 1st gear. I'm talking w.r.t diesel engine. Assume the following scenario.
1) I engage the clutch and slot the gear to 1st.
2) I modulate the clutch to crawl a bit forward and come to a halt.
3) I engage the clutch fully and slot the gear to neutral or if the traffic is moving but again at dead slow pace, I need to hold the clutch and continue modulating, still on 1st gear.

This is where I felt the autohold as convenient. I just need to slot to 1st gear, turn on autohold and just use accelerator and brake for creeping(not the creep function in automatic). I tried it only couple of times during the TD and seemed to work. If I get a chance, I'll test this a bit more. Maybe my wish for an autohold function in manual tricked my mind
Old 25th April 2022, 16:12   #5389
BHPian

Hi All

Need your advise on the eternal question - Petrol / Diesel. I understand that there have been discussion threads on this topic before. But now it is crunch time since I am going ahead with the booking and need to take a decision (specific to the XUV 7OO)

Some basic facts:
  • Current and projected running: Should not exceed 10Km / year
  • Terrain: 70% city, 30% highways. Local runs will be usually short (10km approx.). No intentions of any serious off-roading (except whatever Bangalore roads make me do)
  • Have always driven a petrol. Would like to experience a Diesel + AWD. But I do understand that for lower running, diesel is not the most practical choice, specially when it comes to issues pertaining to DEF. AWD does give better overall stability, but I may not have the use for it in its true sense.
  • This is keeping the fuel bill apart (should be a difference of around INR 15,000 more with petrol per year). And who can predict fuel prices a few years down the line.
  • Plan to keep the vehicle for long term (7+ years). Rules in Bangalore may change by then (similar to NCR)
  • Models in contention - XUV 7OO AX7L P AT and XUV 7OO AX7L D AWD AT
  • Note - I don't mind the long waiting times. Also, I am not much of a DIY person (if that makes a difference in petrol v/s diesel decision)

Pros and cons that I could come up with:
Diesel:
Pros:
  • AWD
  • Drive Modes
  • Higher fuel efficiency
  • Hence, saving on fuel bills
  • Higher torque
Cons:
  • Longer wait periods (maybe)
  • Higher overall maintenance (not in cost terms but the effort). Specially pertaining to Ad Blue
  • Some known DEF issues specially for lower running vehicles

Petrol:
Pros:
  • Shorter wait period (maybe)
  • Always in the Zoom mode!
  • No maintenance issues unlike diesel
  • Better for vehicles with lower running

Cons:
  • Lower torque
  • Lower fuel efficiency
  • No AWD
  • No drive mode

Any advise / inputs would be highly appreciated.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 17:48   #5390
BHPian

Auto IRVM

Has anybody installed Auto IRVM in his XUV700, kindly share details. Thanks
sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 19:41   #5391
BHPian

Planning for PPF. Shortlisted 3M brand. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have also found a link below

https://www.autoguide.com/top-5-best...-films-car?amp
Old 25th April 2022, 19:55   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Planning for PPF. Shortlisted 3M brand. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have also found a link below

https://www.autoguide.com/top-5-best...-films-car?amp
There are conflicting views on PPF. I do not know the colour of your car, if it is white I would suggest not to go for PPF. I owned XUV500 Sunset Orange till recently (got the delivery of Midnight Black XUV700 on 12th April), I had got the four corners protected with PPF. This gave me the best paint protection where it is needed most. For my XUV700 I have got the front and rear bumper plus tailgate covered with PPF.
Old 25th April 2022, 20:05   #5393
BHPian

Interesting video

sudhirjaipur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 20:12   #5394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirjaipur View Post
There are conflicting views on PPF. I do not know the colour of your car, if it is white I would suggest not to go for PPF. I owned XUV500 Sunset Orange till recently (got the delivery of Midnight Black XUV700 on 12th April), I had got the four corners protected with PPF. This gave me the best paint protection where it is needed most. For my XUV700 I have got the front and rear bumper plus tailgate covered with PPF.
It's Midnight black. May I know which PPF brand have you considered. Thank you
Old 25th April 2022, 21:28   #5395
BHPian

Quote:
My advise, save the money and go with generic (Korean, etc) brands offering reasonable quality TPU film. It is nuts to pay 1L+ just for PPF.

Mumbai pricing for a single TPU roll is ~45k. Adding ~20k for installation and total cost comes to ~65K. They too give you about 3-5year warranty on yellowing, breaking, hardening, etc. Watch this video for more info on where to get the roll:

If you really want the best of best, then films from the following brands are recommended:

- Llumar
- Hexis
- Stek
- XPEL

A single roll from any of these brands will cost 1L+ and with installation anywhere from 1.25L to 2L. I personally feel it's insane to spend that kind of money for PPF but if you don't mind then make sure you are at least using these reputed brands and get min 7 year warranty.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 25th April 2022 at 21:30.
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 21:34   #5396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
It is nuts to pay 1L+ just for PPF.

Mumbai pricing for a single TPU roll is ~45k. Adding ~20k for installation and total cost comes to ~65K. They too give you about 3-5year warranty on yellowing, breaking, hardening, etc.
A bit off topic, how much would it cost to respray the whole car from a good paintshop? I am trying to compare the cost of ppf vs full body painting.
Old 25th April 2022, 21:40   #5397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_monarch View Post
Isn't the registration period of Diesel cars 10 years in Delhi NCR (incl. Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Noida)?
Thank you car_monarch for raising this point. I was under the impression that Diesel cars registered in Gurgaon have 15 years period, however as per law car can only be driven in NCR region only for 10 years.

I will have this verified now for sure. I would have not thought of it, had you not raised, for thanks once again.

Any gurgaon folks, please help.
Old 25th April 2022, 21:48   #5398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
A bit off topic, how much would it cost to respray the whole car from a good paintshop? I am trying to compare the cost of ppf vs full body painting.
I'm not sure of the cost but from what I heard people say, you can get whole car painted 2-3 times for the cost of what these premium PPF films go for.

But that is not really the point, getting PPF done is for those who are anal about keeping their vehicle scratch-less and in factory paint condition for as long as possible.

Being worry free (up to an extent) when driving in highly congested roads more than makes up for the cost difference. I'm personally pro-PPF because I'm 100% certain a biker will scratch the rear or front side panel when trying to squeeze their way through traffic.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 21:53   #5399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi All

Need your advise on the eternal question - Petrol / Diesel.
MarutiGuy , I'm in space confusion as yours. However I've gone ahead & booked XUV700 AX7 Diesel AT.

Since this has been 2nd question on Diesel vs Petrol, i thought to open excel and start with basic math.

According to my comparison, approx 73k difference as per current fuel prices and as per avg. shared by respective engine options owners.

This makes me think if my math is actually right or not. Let's see if mods can help us both make a better decision what makes more sense. Petrol vs Diesel given annual run is 10K.
Attached Images

woodstock3001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 09:19   #5400

Hi all,

A bit of an oddball, but has anyone tried the XUV700 on the subscription model, or any other car in fact?

I'm writing this on behalf of my uncle, who's upgrading from a 2011 MS SX4 VXi. Although he loves that car dearly, due to a growing family, he has no choice but to upgrade.

After narrowing down his requirements, the XUV seemed the best all rounder for his use case. However the insanely long waiting times and the absence of the true VFM quotient below the AX7 variant has him worried as the on road price of the AX7 P MT(his choice)in Bangalore is around 24L, which is a bit steep IMHO.

So the option of subscribing to the car has been considered. The price of the same variant with a 10k km limit amounts to around 51k rupees. I'm not an expert at all at the finer aspects of car ownership, especially when it comes to playing with numbers

Uncle's use case:
  • 40-60 city-highway split in driving.
  • Pretty sedate driver(because of Bangalore traffic) but can bring out the enthusiastic vibe on empty road.
  • Petrol only as running is slightly low.
  • Longs for an automatic but budget constraints force him to avoid.
  • Highest priority for safety, techy features can be ignored except essential ones.
  • Usually hauls around with a full car, either with people or luggage(or both), so a good suspension is a must.

Although he was briefly considering the AX5 variant, he wanted to splurge a little more because this will be the last ICE car he will own. But the jump to AX7 is honestly a bit too much for him to sustain via loan. Therefore the subscription option arises.

Could anyone list the pros and cons of going via this route, and if its feasible in this case?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks