Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2024, 14:12   #9856
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I thought this was as good a thread to post this question.

Around the XUV700 launch time in 2021 when BS6 diesels were new, there were quite a few reportings of DPF failures and stuff. But nothing really big as Engine or components failing and nothing that a manual regen couldn't take care of in most of the cases.

But now there would be more XUV700s on the road than before and DPF/regen issues are not being reported as frequently.
It could be because people got used to the fact or the DPF handling became better over time, but that is just a hypothesis.

For that matter, I do not recall hearing much about DPF issues from any of the other brands in the recent times with much frequency.

I know there would be people who hypothesize and write their inferences, but are there actual owners in the forum that had recently ( in the last 6 months? ) faced DPF issues in their Diesel XUV or other Diesel vehicles?
Old 16th March 2024, 14:35   #9857
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I thought this was as good a thread to post this question.
I know there would be people who hypothesize and write their inferences, but are there actual owners in the forum that had recently ( in the last 6 months? ) faced DPF issues in their Diesel XUV or other Diesel vehicles?
I have described by experience with DPF in XUV700 at the following thread, starting from post#88.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ngineer-6.html (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer)
Old 16th March 2024, 15:13   #9858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you need a diesel - you will never even think that it has DPF, it won't bother you at all.

So even after plenty of idling, remote start for AC (summer is in Indeed) and city runs etc it's not a problem because the vehicle gets regular highway use, so that takes care of it.

This use case is same for my friends and family too, so yeah I'm still with the diesel camp.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 16:31   #9859
BHPian

Thanks for the replies @sbm @kosfactor.

I do own a Diesel XUV700 and I use it mostly on the highways. I have neither encountered any DPF issues, nor am I worried about it or the Diesel blowby issue.

The intent of that post was to crowd-ascertain whether DPF handling has been “magically” made genuinely better or people have resigned to their fate and just not reporting, as there was a lot of chatter before and not much chatter about it in the recent past.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:05   #9860
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies @sbm @kosfactor.

I do own a Diesel XUV700 and I use it mostly on the highways. I have neither encountered any DPF issues, nor am I worried about it or the Diesel blowby issue.

The intent of that post was to crowd-ascertain whether DPF handling has been “magically” made genuinely better or people have resigned to their fate and just not reporting, as there was a lot of chatter before and not much chatter about it in the recent past.
When I decided to buy my XUV700, I took into consideration all the factors regarding DPF, or so I thought. Although I do highway trips every month or two, I was still ready to face DPF-clogged alerts when driving in the city for many days in continuation. What I was not ready for was engine oil dilution with diesel due to regeneration.

Maybe my research was not deep enough and I was blindsided by this oil dilution thing, but what about the common public, who is not aware of this at all? Is a car supposed to be designed so that it can be operated only under a certain set of conditions by normal people, and does one need to have a technical aptitude or technical knowledge about DPF functioning if they deviate from that particular set of conditions?

It's good that you are using your car on highways, and you won't be seeing any DPF lights due to that. But please do keep a watch on the oil level on a monthly basis, at least. As far as I know, blowby is a different issue that was faced by BS4 owners too. This oil dilution is solely due to the DPF regeneration, and that must be happening in your car as well, though you are not getting any warnings.

Let's see how Mahindra faces their usual clientele consisting of powerful people once engines start failing due to severe oil dilution.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 19:15   #9861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit Mamtani View Post
Congratulations on the booking. I'm a little confused between buying a petrol or diesel version, considering the ambiguity involved on the govt's ban on diesel vehicle or imposing 10year life. Would you mind sharing your thought process and why did you decide to go for diesel over petrol. Thanks in advance!
The major factor for me was the mileage. The abysmally low mileage of petrol version is the only reason. I love doing very long drives and I would not want a heartache every time I am at a pump. Also, regarding the ban, I think it is more a Delhi/NCR thing and me being in Mumbai should have lesser of an effect.

So yes, the price differential of 1.3 lakhs is more for my heart than my head. Post 31k kms, diesel is financially more prudent as well.
anuraglakhotia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:04   #9862
BHPian

Hi all,

I have been struggling to make up my mind on which car I should be buying. I am having a hard time selecting between the Kia Seltos Petrol DCT Automatic, 2024 Facelift Creta SX(O) automatic or XUV 700 petrol automatic.

I was informed of a white color 2023 AX7 XUV 700 petrol automatic variant being available with one of the dealers with a flat discount of Rs. 1.5L plus additional discounts for insurance. With all discounts thrown in, the on-road price comes very close to the price of Seltos or Creta top-end variants.

My running is expected to be ~8000 Km / year and primarily going to be used for city driving with 1 or 2 highway drives in a year. So, I am not considering the diesel variant especially to avoid the DEF top-up and DPF issues.

I wanted to check with you all on the following points.

1. The petrol automatic variant is Nov/Dec 23 manufactured. Should I be worried that its been lying around for 3 months with no takers especially for such high demand vehicle? Any thing that I need to specifically insist when the car is brought in for the PDI?

2. How are the infotainment issues especially considering I own a apple device? Is there an improvement now considering multiple software updates over the years? Also, do we need to take the vehicle to the service center each time for a software update or OTA enabled?

3. I have read people complaining of the "football in the boot" issue. Is there any solution to that or people have to just learn to live with it. More importantly, how annoying is the issue and is it found in petrol variants too?

4. I am also fearing the mileage in city conditions for such a powerful engine. I have seen people claiming 8 kmpl for a seltos turbo petrol. The engine on mahindra is atleast 500CC more than the one on seltos. Would it go down to 5/6 kmpl. I am a sedate driver and do not drive the vehicle enthusiastically.

5. Is it any worth to consider the AX7 2024 variant considering there is no difference in features between the 2023 and 2024 AX7 variant

6. With such a mamooth vehicle and especially considering that I will be upgrading from a dzire, I am not sure If i will be able to manage parking the car without a 360 camera? Is it possible to get the 360 camera on AX7L variant on AX7

7. Any other issues that I need to double check before I take the plunge?

Heart wants XUV but mind makes me think I might be loosing out on a peaceful ownership that would come with either a seltos or creta.
Old 18th March 2024, 11:58   #9863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
I am having a hard time selecting between the Kia Seltos Petrol DCT Automatic, 2024 Facelift Creta SX(O) automatic or XUV 700 petrol automatic.

I was informed of a white color 2023 AX7 XUV 700 petrol automatic variant being available with one of the dealers with a flat discount of Rs. 1.5L plus additional discounts for insurance. With all discounts thrown in, the on-road price comes very close to the price of Seltos or Creta top-end variants.

1. The petrol automatic variant is Nov/Dec 23 manufactured. Should I be worried that its been lying around for 3 months with no takers especially for such high demand vehicle? Any thing that I need to specifically insist when the car is brought in for the PDI?

2. How are the infotainment issues especially considering I own a apple device? Is there an improvement now considering multiple software updates over the years? Also, do we need to take the vehicle to the service center each time for a software update or OTA enabled?

3. I have read people complaining of the "football in the boot" issue. Is there any solution to that or people have to just learn to live with it. More importantly, how annoying is the issue and is it found in petrol variants too?

4. I am also fearing the mileage in city conditions for such a powerful engine. I have seen people claiming 8 kmpl for a seltos turbo petrol. The engine on mahindra is atleast 500CC more than the one on seltos. Would it go down to 5/6 kmpl. I am a sedate driver and do not drive the vehicle enthusiastically.

5. Is it any worth to consider the AX7 2024 variant considering there is no difference in features between the 2023 and 2024 AX7 variant

6. With such a mamooth vehicle and especially considering that I will be upgrading from a dzire, I am not sure If i will be able to manage parking the car without a 360 camera? Is it possible to get the 360 camera on AX7L variant on AX7

7. Any other issues that I need to double check before I take the plunge?

Heart wants XUV but mind makes me think I might be loosing out on a peaceful ownership that would come with either a seltos or creta.
Answering your questions in the same order:

1. Would suggest you insist for the PDI to be done at the dealer stockyard. Check the ODO to make sure the car hasn't munched unnecessary kms. It is surely surprising that a white AX7 P AT, a variant which is in heavy demand, is unclaimed for 3 months. Also, this is the first case I'm hearing of the dealer offering any kind of discount on the XUV 700 which is selling like hot cakes and commanding a long waiting period, that too a staggering 1.5 Lakh off!

2. The latest software update has ironed out a lot of kinks, but the infotainment in general does have a mind of it's own. Definitely much stable currently though. The vehicle does need to be taken to the service centre for updates, no OTA option yet.

3. Football-in-the-boot is an ever-annoying issue every time you fill a tankful of fuel. From what I know, it is observed in all variants. Mine is an AX7 P AT as well. The service centre is dismissive of the issue and I guess, we have no option but to grudgingly live with it.

4. I am getting an average of 8-9 kmpl with decent traffic conditions in Mumbai. However, in case of bumper-to-bumper traffic, the mileage plummets to 2-3 kmpl routinely.

5. If all goes well with your PDI, it shouldn't be a problem to choose a 2023 Dec model. Especially if you're considering keeping the car for 7-8+ years, the depreciation would not take any great hit frankly.

6. It's not a hard car to maneuver in general, it's very comfortable to park. The rear camera and sensors are decent, if not very great. You can install front parking sensors just for your peace of mind. The 360-degree camera is not being offered as an accessory for AX7 as yet.

Ultimately, all cars in the market currently have some or the other niggles; All company social pages are full with complaints for all vehicles. Any car purchase is a leap of faith these days.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 18th March 2024 at 12:04.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:31   #9864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
Hi all,

I have been struggling to make up my mind on which car I should be buying. I am having a hard time selecting between the Kia Seltos Petrol DCT Automatic, 2024 Facelift Creta SX(O) automatic or XUV 700 petrol automatic.

Logic says - Stay Away. A car (& the AX7 variant) with demand > Supply & lying in dealer stock >2Months and a discount from dealer has Red flags all over. It must have been a PDI reject from another customer.
atluri_rkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 21:56   #9865
BHPian

Guys, do any of the variants come with a Blindspot detection feature? You know, where there is a notification on the ORVM or a chime being played when you activate the turn indicator and it detects an object next to the vehicle?

I understand the Luxury Pack has a Blind View Monitor but is it convenient to go against all our training and instinct to look at the ORVM and instead, look at the MID?

Last edited by Karthik Mathur : 18th March 2024 at 21:59.
Old 19th March 2024, 01:07   #9866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Logic says - Stay Away. A car (& the AX7 variant) with demand > Supply & lying in dealer stock >2Months and a discount from dealer has Red flags all over. It must have been a PDI reject from another customer.
Been offered the exact same 1.5L down on same engine and tranny combination of the XUV700. And yes, it brings down the price very close to the Seltos GTX+ DCT, next in contention to replace my parents’ 2016 Petrol MT Baleno.

An in demand vehicle being at the yard for so long is a strange sight. That too when offered at 1.5L down. I am somehow willing to consider this at a further discount from a future risk-management perspective. The amount saved would practically be a rainy day fund (if unutilized, then possibly help with few tank fulls for the mighty 2.0L drunkard )

Last edited by SixPistons : 19th March 2024 at 01:08.
Old 19th March 2024, 11:51   #9867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
Been offered the exact same 1.5L down on same engine and tranny combination of the XUV700. And yes, it brings down the price very close to the Seltos GTX+ DCT, next in contention to replace my parents’ 2016 Petrol MT Baleno.

An in demand vehicle being at the yard for so long is a strange sight. That too when offered at 1.5L down. I am somehow willing to consider this at a further discount from a future risk-management perspective. The amount saved would practically be a rainy day fund (if unutilized, then possibly help with few tank fulls for the mighty 2.0L drunkard )
I bought mine from Delhi in November 2023, Petrol AX7 AT White. The stockyard where I did PDI was full of AX7 variants in White (The best-selling color and Variant combination as per sales advisor), my best guess for reason is year end and Tata Safari facelift.

May be XUV700 AX7 variants has ready availability now, barring artificial hype and they wish to sell out 2023 stock before it's too late.

DM me for Dealer's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Mathur View Post
Guys, do any of the variants come with a Blindspot detection feature? You know, where there is a notification on the ORVM or a chime being played when you activate the turn indicator and it detects an object next to the vehicle?

I understand the Luxury Pack has a Blind View Monitor but is it convenient to go against all our training and instinct to look at the ORVM and instead, look at the MID?
Blind view monitor has such a low resolution, that its practically useless and you would have no dilemma in utilizing old school way.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th March 2024 at 09:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
Old 19th March 2024, 16:10   #9868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
Blind view monitor has such a low resolution, that its practically useless and you would have no dilemma in utilizing old school way.
Haha that is pretty awful. So that's not going to be a deciding factor between the AX7 and the AX7L then

Just a warning symbol on the ORVM is good enough tbh, just gives enough notice that there is something beyond line-of-sight without causing a distraction like a live feed on the MID. I think the Harrier/ Safari do both.

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th March 2024 at 09:36. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thank you!
Old 19th March 2024, 16:50   #9869

Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to get my XUV700 AX7L P AT in 3 to 4 days. The color is Napoli black. The color looks great and is becoming quite common on our roads. The complete black has its own impression but I wanted some minimalist design done with red to compliment the black.

Unleashing the child in me, I did some very crude hand line marks on the car pic to see how it would look. (pic attached)

Please help me out, suggesting whether these minimal changes would look good or will be an overdo to the original full black color.

Also any suggestions in an around Whitefield, Bangalore who can do decent work with stickering and painting?

I understand, looks and design are very subjective to individual's tast,. but will be interested to get some feedback and suggestions.

1. Brake calipers to red
2. One of the five petal shape spokes of the allow wheel to red
3. Front and back side bumper guard- red color
4. Car lower grill upper line
5. Back bumper guard having red color
6. Car handles to red (not sure)
7. Car top side line (not sure)
8. Foot step having red line

"Stay hungry. Stay foolish." - Steve Jobs

Cheers!

Mahindra XUV700 Review-napoli-red-stickers-1.png

Thanks

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th March 2024 at 18:28. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Typos.
Old 20th March 2024, 11:47   #9870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwheels View Post
I too feel that the car just looks a little too drab in all-black. Adding small red accents would certainly make the car exclusive to you, but I feel that your implementation features far too many accents in places that don't flow with the body line of the car. Subtlety is paramount when doing a mod job with such bright and overpowering colours, I'm sure the last thing you'd want is for it to look gaudy. Here are some sketches I made that are more reasonable.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-rear34right834784526_600x400.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-frontleftside47.jpg  

ExtremePocca is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks