Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 16:07   #1936
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsphenomenon View Post
You skipped the 3D music system too.
Yes I did and ignored a few other things.
Sorry, should have been clearer - I decided to downgrade my choice since I didn't care or don't want the extras. So lets see:
Things I wanted from the luxury pack but passed on them for the cost:
- blind view monitoring and 360 degree view
- knee air bag
- telescopic steering
Then,
- adaptive cruise stop and go and smart pilot which are limited to automatic version

Then things I don't care about
- I am not a music buff so I think I should be perfectly fine with a normal music system (after all I have had the standard fitment on all my car's so far).
- I also consider the passive keyless entry/ electric smart handles to be a nuisance rather than convenience. If I understand it correctly, then I dont want my car doors to be unlocked if I am just walking by or standing there with no intention to enter the car. Rather I want the control to unlock the doors in my hand.
- continuous digital video recording. Can put a dash cam in lieu of this.
- electronic parking break - again another good to have but wouldnt harm anything if I just had the normal "hand break"
- illuminated vanity miror. Ok definitely not needed.
- wireless charging. Never had it and never plan to even at home

So the extra 20k increase over previous day (30k increase for the luxury and 10k for the manual) put me off and I decided not to shell out 2Lacs+ OTR for the two and half features listed above. I'll play out my luck and will reconsider only if I feel I am missing out on something significant or if the delivery schedule for the luxury is much ahead of the manual due to cancellations etc. Lets see how it goes.
piyush1.a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:25   #1937
Senior - BHPian

I just got a call from a Mahindra dealership if I want to book a 700. So is the product really sold out, or is Mahindra creating demand?
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:31   #1938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I just got a call from a Mahindra dealership if I want to book a 700. So is the product really sold out, or is Mahindra creating demand?

I am just guessing.
May be the dealerships have made some 'fake' or 'shell' bookings, and would cash-in on them later?

Or even it could be a genuine case, like of someone cancelling out after the booking?
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:37   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Creating demand for sure. My booking cheque bounced today , as there was a signature mismatch. The dealer was like no worries, i'll send you the QR code and you can pay at your will the 21k, either today or tomorrow

I never booked online and just went through my dealer and left it to him. Mahindra is just declaring no.s based on the online system and the bookings punched by the dealers. So maybe Mahindra is right and all these offers rolling out even today is from the dealer end. I think the dealers have much more say in the booking then the online system and they are manipulating the same to their advantage.

Wait for 10th and I expect at least 10% cancellations when they come out with the delivery dates. More people would start getting these calls.
sixthsense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:48   #1940
BHPian

I got this message from the dealer:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20211008-4.44.10-pm.jpeg

Not sure of actual bookings but looks like its the dealers making the most out of this.
sunnsood is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:53   #1941
BHPian

Looks like a lot of Guinea pigs / beta testers paid a premium to book the new XUV today. Let that sink in

Meanwhile a friend, ex owner of the 5oo who shifted to Hexa after 5 years of ownership, test drove the new XUV. He felt that the car was “like” the old one and doesn’t match with the comfort, stability and handling of the Hexa. He was looking to book the vehicle but decided against it after the test drive.

I drive the 2020 Thar and felt that the new XUV has a lot more to offer as compared to the Thar. Drive experience was decent, steering was light and there was a whole lot of stuff going on - Screens/ cameras etc. I felt a bit distracted fot first few minutes
Rajiv0909 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:05   #1942
BHPian

Took a test drive of Diesel MT at Salasar Auto Panvel today (I was interested in the Diesel AT, however, the dealer did not have the D-AT test vehicle available, so settled for MT).

Overall experience was great. Was attended promptly by the staff. The reception entered my phone number in the system, which fetched the customer data, and I was issued a card for test drive in a few seconds.

The sales person was attentive, prompt and tried explaining all features in sequence. I cut him short as I told him I have gone through the company website, brochure and reviews and other articles online, and therefore will only seek details where I could not find information. He was happy to answer queries.

Quick summary: (Will avoid points which are already covered by other BHPians. My sincere apologies for poor quality pictures with mobile phone, there were customers waiting for their turns to see/test the vehicle and neither I carried better camera or lighting)

1. ARAI mileage still unknown. Sales person claimed Petrol should provide 13kmpl, diesel around 16.5 kmpl in MT, but believed that AT mileage would be 2-3 kmpl less than MT

2. I am 5'.11". Even when setting the seat fairly backwards (driver backrest crossing B pillar, with regular recline and my regular posture, head close to headrest) I found the windshield and top speaker close to my head / spects. This is in contrast to my XUV500, where the windshield and roof surfaces are several inches away from my head.

Powered seat allows adjustment of height, horizontal position (move forward or reverse) and backrest angle. But did not allow me to change the angle of the seat for better thigh rest. This made me to move the entire seat upwards to accommodate my long legs, reducing the distance between my head and the roof.

3. Front fenders are metallic unlike XUV500 W6/2011. Boot door is made up of fiberglass as mentioned by many, but doesnt feel too light.

4. Reversing lamp is not LED, its a regular halogen bulb (P21W?). (AX7-AT-P test vehicle)

5. Headlamp assembly ("clear view" LED models, AX5 onwards?) is sealed and has LED emitters (no regular LED bulbs) mounted at the top (small yellow squarish piece marked in red circles, and its reflection on the reflector dome in the yellow circle). I am sure these LED chips are mounted on PCB with connector and backed by some heat sink. They throw the light rays on the reflector from the top, which reflects and arranges the light in proper pattern on the road. The arrangement is nice and doesn't cause any glare for the oncoming traffic/drivers.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-hl-assmbly.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-led-reflections.jpg

My serious concern is that owner may need to replace the whole HL assembly if any single LED emitter or it's driver fails. I did not see any way to replace LED emitter like the replacement of Halogen bulb or retrofit LED bulbs we do on mass market vehicles. Could be very very expensive (Even oldest XUV500 HL costs Rs. 13K per unit, plus installation)

6. As soon as vehicle is set in motion (~5kmph?), all doors auto lock. (XUV500 I believe needs atleast 30kmph speed to autolock). Smart door handle on driver side (test vehicle) did not retract after locking, whereas all others worked as expected. If you push the electric versions of handles (LUX Pack variants) hard when vehicle is unlocked, handles might break. I am seriously concerned about long term reliability of all these smart and electric handles, and that all handles feel flimsy. I had frequent problems in door latches even in XUV500, although the paw handles never broke from outside.

7. Dual Zone ACs have single or common fan speed control for both zones in front row. Further, the vents do not have flow regulator - you can either close the vent, or keep it open and change flow directions. I am going to find this tough - I like low fan speed when long driving, my wifey likes to set it high. In XUV500, we had flow regulator on each vent in 1st and 2nd rows.

8. Alexa commands cannot be cancelled once issued, until it finishes the earlier command. e.g. if I ask Alexa to open sunroof and immediately ask it to cancel opening and close it, it wont work. So no command queues or override/priority options.

9. Engine bay really looks well organized and clean. However, I found strange gaps in metal joints in the engine bay. Are these intentional for letting expanded air escape (Most unlikely). It guess the profiles were cut incorrectly or angles changed leaving these gaps or holes.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-joint-gaps.jpg
Similar gaps were found on other side of the engine bay.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-firewall.jpg

Fuse box in Engine bay has very few fuses/relays. Maybe provision for additional upcoming features.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-fusebox.jpg

10. Door sills have slight slope towards outside. I hope this will prevent water droplets (rains or car wash) from accumulating or causing rust in doors as in XUV500.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-door-sliope.jpg

11. Cruise control did not function reliably on the test vehicle. It engaged, went to standby on low speeds, disengaged - OK. However, on open highway, after engaging it, I was unable to incrementally raise speed with steering mounted controls nor reduce it. Had to turn it off and reengage multiple times before it worked, but would either increase or decrease only unless turned off and ON again. Seems like some bugs.

12. ADAS detects and reads standard speed limit signs. Then this speed limit is displayed on the driver's instrument screen. A freshly read sign replaces old sign on screen and is bright initially. As it gets older and no new sign is seen, the sign on screen fades. Great.

13. Lane departure warning tone can get irritating if the lanes are not drawn properly, or one is forced to drive differently if part of the lane is blocked with silt / construction debris or full of potholes. Wish there was an easy way to silence it for say 1-3 minutes or a few Km.

14. ADAS will NOT work when reversing. No warnings or auto braking on finding any obstructions, nor will detect No-Parking signs.

15. Wing mirrors are mounted a bit too ahead (A pillar), which creates a bigger blind spot than earlier avatar XUV500. I like the position on XUV500, where the wing mirrors were mounted a bit closer towards driver (i.e. slightly towards B pillar), and the gap between A pillar and mirror case provided great view without blocking much.

16. No puddle lamps at the bottom of door, nor available in the wing mirror, although there seems to be a cavity to fit aftermarket unit. Not sure if the wiring is provided.

Last edited by Pulse500 : 8th October 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Correcting the misplaced HL image
Pulse500 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:46   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 bookings so far

Total 50,000 bookings, translating ex-showroom value to 9,500 crores
9,500 crore for 50k booking translates into 19l average booking price. This is a stunning number. Average variant booked is AX7.

This revelation aside, I read a lot of cribs on the price hike. Its not very often car companies make money. My humble request, kindly let them whilst it lasts.

It's a free market, customers can go elsewhere if the pricing strategy evokes outrage. The beeline folks are making to grab it off the shelf doesn't betray any sense of outrage, IMHO.
schwartz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:00   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Looks like a lot of Guinea pigs / beta testers paid a premium to book the new XUV today. Let that sink in

I drive the 2020 Thar and felt that the new XUV has a lot more to offer as compared to the Thar. Drive experience was decent, steering was light and there was a whole lot of stuff going on - Screens/ cameras etc. I felt a bit distracted fot first few minutes
While it's sinking in, how was your experience being the guinea pig when you bought the Thar in 2020 ?
sixthsense is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:18   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post

Meanwhile a friend, ex owner of the 5oo who shifted to Hexa after 5 years of ownership, test drove the new XUV. He felt that the car was “like” the old one and doesn’t match with the comfort, stability and handling of the Hexa. He was looking to book the vehicle but decided against it after the test drive.

Quite a bit of projection of you to say that those who have booked are 'guinea pigs', isn't it? While it is still a Year 1 product, just because it is an Indian brand, it isn't automatically prone to be a test bed.

Mahindra XUV700 is after a decade of XUV 500. Between 2012 & 2021, Mahindra has launched a number of vehicles which were mechanically sound (Marazzo, KUV100, TUV300, XUV300, XUV500 refresh & Scorpio refresh and your own Thar Ver 2). I haven't heard of any disastrous issues with any of them.

Will niggles be there? Unfortunately yes. Will they be show-stopping ones? Hopefully not. But Indian manufacturing has come a long way in the past decade.

Last edited by Desi Dybuk : 8th October 2021 at 18:20.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:20   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Total bookings crossed 50,000 mark
Looks like Mahindra needs to buy the two Ford factories rather than Tata.
Big Smoke is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:27   #1947
AYP
Senior - BHPian

So, as per the mutiple test drives report posted by the members, it seems like the door handles of all but the AX7-L variant will not retract on their own. The car is going to look hideous with its door handles popping out.

If Mahindra had decided to adopt this design, they should have made retractable door handles standard across the range. If not, at least a manual button for retracting the door handles should have been provided.

Heck, even normal type door handles would have been better.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:35   #1948
Distinguished - BHPian

Anish Shah, the CEO of M&M tweeted that they had realised almost 10,000 crores of ex-showroom value from the first 50K bookings of the XUV 700. This means an average of 20 lacs ex-showroom price for the vehicles booked, indicating that most of the models booked would have been in the higher reaches of the price range such as AX7, Auto, AWD and luxury pack variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211008_193252.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:49   #1949
BHPian

Looking at the fiasco and possibly a year long waiting period. I feel like switching to Safari but heart says XUV700
sudharshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:58   #1950
BHPian

As mentioned in my earlier posts, I had opted to book under the offer to get the Launch Price for those customers who could not book due to the Mahindra Portal issue and had the car added to their cart.

Finally received the booking confirmation from the Dealer (No booking confirmation SMS or email received from Mahindra though). Apparently, the booking confirmation form sent by the dealer shows the updated prices along with the disclaimer that the prices at the time of delivery would be applicable. Not sure if this is the standard disclaimer.

Upon checking with the Dealer, they informed me that since my name was on the list shared by Mahindra, I shall get a separate communication from Mahindra confirming the offer.

I am not sure if this is true or the Dealer is trying to pull a fast one on me.

I would like to know if other members who have booked under the same offer have got the confirmation from the dealer and what is the Ex-Showroom price shown on your booking form? Have you received the booking confirmation (SMS/email) from Mahindra?

Did you get the same/similar response from the dealer on the Price offer confirmation to be made available directly from Mahindra?

Last edited by bill1182 : 8th October 2021 at 20:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks