Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2021, 17:11   #2296
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Petrol AT mileage claimed to be 10.81 kmpl in this video, in mixed driving conditions. Not bad at all as my nios AT never gives more than 14 in city plus highway. Anything in double digit must be alright for Petrol imo.
Dark water is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:05   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Folks who want to go check out the XUV7OO in peace, I guess, can do so now, in showrooms. Without the crazy footfalls and in a considerably safer environment.

Had taken my wife to check out the SUV today in Anant Cars, Marathahalli showroom. Hardly more than 2 families, when we'd gone there (about 1:50pm IST). Showroom sales staff was about 1/10th of what I experienced on 1st weekend of launch (also it was a Sunday, so..)

The inside demo cars were also standing lifeless, with drained batteries and no one to care for them. Guessing all the hype and hoopla has died down (considerably). My contact at the other showroom (Sireesh) says they're still accepting bookings everyday, after the '50K XUV 7OOs booked' milestone.

(Showed and explained the entire car to her. She's not the least a 'car person', but she loved it).
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:28   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
You seem to be having lot of negative vibes for Mahindra and XUV 700 in particular. Did you have any personal experience with XUV 500? If yes please direct us to any thread you have posted here or narrate any personal experience, it will be highly appreciated. If I google I will find issues for every possible manufacturer.
No, I don't own a Mahindra but in my extended family I have experienced 3 of them (2 scorpios and 1 XUV500) extensively. It's as per your wish to assume that I am having a lot of negative vibes for the brand and product. So talking about my experiences:

1. The first scorpio (2018 model owned by my cousin) literally became a rust bucket (no he doesn't live in coastal area). Each and every panel and frame was rusting in that car. Disappointed by Mahindra's poor quality, my cousin somehow sold that disaster and swore that he'd never buy a Mahindra. Not to mention finding random bolts in the boot of the car every other day.

2. XUV500 (2015 - first facelift) owned by my fufaji (cross-uncle?) had spent more time at the service centre than with him. The power steering pump failed in that car within 3k kilometres, suspension noise would never go away despite replacement of the whole suspension assembly twice. The doors started rusting badly (typical Mahindra) near the sill area. There was a minor oil leak too and not to forget the faulty door sensors which had a mind of their own. Brakes used to squeal like crazy and the infotainment system worked once in a new moon.

3. The second Scorpio (2017 model owned by my brother-in-law) was hilarious to say the least. This one broke all the records set by the 2 above. It's turbocharger had to be replaced before even the second service itself, the whole vehicle used to shake and rattle like crazy depending on the RPMs. The lady again out of nowhere would shout that some door was open and it never got sorted after multiple tweaks and replacement of door sensors. This one had an alignment issue too which never got sorted and the whole lower cladding faded and became sticky in just 6 months.

Now fanboys would again come up with something to justify this that wouldn't make sense as usual. All I would say is that even after these experiences, I walked into the showroom without any assumptions and a free mind to check out the XUV700. I literally tried hard to ignore minor issues but Mahindra wouldn't change I guess. Note: The first 2 of these cars are replaced by Toyotas and the owners are more than happy . It's funny that people completely forget that a niggles and issues thread running into 300+ pages exists for the XUV500 on this very forum while calling the vehicle reliable . That's definitely the longest for any car here I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Seems like you’re intentionally trying to spread negativity about the XUV700 based purely on assumptions/unofficial leaks.
As you wish to assume mate.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 17th October 2021 at 19:42.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:36   #2299
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark water View Post
https://Youtu.be/1PRm77A6QzQ

Petrol AT mileage claimed to be 10.81 kmpl in this video, in mixed driving conditions. Not bad at all as my nios AT never gives more than 14 in city plus highway. Anything in double digit must be alright for Petrol imo.
Are you kidding me? The Youtuber drove exclusively on the Delhi-Meerut expressway which is one of the best highways in this country. No stop and go traffic or anything. If the Petrol AT delivers 10.8kmpl on an open highways with speeds less than 100kmph, then don't expect anything more than 4-5kmpl in actual city traffic.

I predict a lot of Petrol XUVs on the second hand market within the first year. Owners will start realising what they have gotten into by then.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:55   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Are you kidding me? The Youtuber drove exclusively on the Delhi-Meerut expressway which is one of the best highways in this country. No stop and go traffic or anything. If the Petrol AT delivers 10.8kmpl on an open highways with speeds less than 100kmph, then don't expect anything more than 4-5kmpl in actual city traffic.

I predict a lot of Petrol XUVs on the second hand market within the first year. Owners will start realising what they have gotten into by then.
Yes. I don't think we can expect anything more than 7 kmpl in city traffic for Petrol AT. As many have said before, we will have to wait at least till Feb-March next year to get the real picture.
Old 17th October 2021, 21:50   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
There have been many comments on Mahindra and XUV700 potential quality. I see that very few of them were from actual owners of Mahindra vehicle. Sharing my experience with fellow forum members.

I am driving a 15 year old Scorpio and have 7 year old XUV500 in extended family. Both have been a very reliable vehicle over the years.

I faced issues with coolant leakage in Scorpio in my 3rd year of ownership which was fixed promptly. After that, the vehicle is completely niggle free except for the usual wear and tear. I still get mileage of 10-11 kmpl in the 15 year old vehicle. There was no breakdown on the road even a single time in last 15 years and still does round trip of 400-500 kms with aplomb. Similarly, XUV which I have seen very closely considering they are owned by my in laws and they live in the same city, have been completely niggle free and a very reliable vehicle.

There is a reason for so many takers for XUV700 even at 28 lacs OTR. I sincerely wish that all owners get niggle free experience from day one. If there are niggles, I am convinced that they will be sorted out with not much bother and their owners will enjoy trouble free experience for many years to come.
Some niggles are inevitable for every car, new launch or 10 years old. Those cars fall in the 1% unlucky customers bracket. If all customers in that 1% bracket post their experiences on the web, it creates a disastrous image. The rest 99% will be happily wheeling away.

When we buy a car, we can only hope and pray that we don't fall in that bracket. But we still go ahead and buy as 99% success rate is not so bad!.

The XUV700 is a fantastic product. Coming from a manufacturer who delivered one of India's most robust SUVs, the Scorpio, and one of India's biggest blockbusters, the XUV500, we have a winner on our hands here.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 23:06   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians

Here is some more juicy info on the XUV700

1. As per the bookings received so far, the split between petrol and diesel is around 60:40 which is surprising because of the potential fuel drinking habits of the petrol engine. Same was observed in case of the Hector too.

2. Customers are preferring the manual variants the least and the diesel manual in general is the lowest preferred one. The AX3 variants are only accounting for around 15% of the bookings so far.

3. My sources have told me that the Aisin Gearbox is super reliable and long lasting so there shouldn't be any issues with it in the long run.

4. According to my sources Mahindra engineers have really burned the midnight oil to reduce the steering effort and make the power steering as light as possible. They have also greatly reduced the unsprung mass on the XUV700 as compared to the older XUV500.

5. An updated version of the XUV700 with more features such as auto dimming IRVM, powered tailgate and ventilated seats etc will be launched by the end of next year. We can also expect some variant rejig in this timeframe with Mahindra discontinuing some slow selling variants.

6. My sources have told me that the entire two piece instrument cluster and the touchscreen is nothing but an LCD TV split into two and thus the cost of replacing the same is not more than 22k rupees which is way less than the analogue instrument cluster on the XUV500.

7. The life of rubber bushings in the rear suspension control blades is around 50k kms which is more than 20k kms which was originally the case had the XUV700 been launched last year. Covid gave Mahindra engineers time to come up with better bushings.

8. Clutch life on the manual variants is expected to be around 1.5 lakh kms with hard use and around 2 lakh kms with light use with minimal clutch riding.

9. If we take into account the ex showroom price of all the variants booked so far for the Thar and the XUV700 combined then Mahindra is hypothetically sitting on a cash reserve of around 20k crore rupees.

10. By 2026 Mahindra wants to have the title of the manufacturer with the most number of variants on sale in the Indian car market. This will include variant combinations like Manual/Automatic, FWD/AWD, Soft top/ Hard top etc.

11. According to my sources post the second price increase around January 2022, there won't be any major price rise for the next 1.5 years atleast.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.

Last edited by ram87pune : 17th October 2021 at 23:07.
ram87pune is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 23:09   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
Has anyone managed to have a look at AX7 without the luxury pack?
In the website under explore 360, I can see it comes with Sony branded speakers but not the roof mounted 3D surround ones! Can anyone confirm this?
I was trying to confirm this too. While my SA had mentioned that the AX7 variant without luxury pack will have Sony speakers, later he clarified that they do not come with Sony speakers.

Found a walk around video of AX7 without luxury pack and it doesn't have Sony branding on the tweeters.

impala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 00:20   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
As I already mentioned multiple times, issues are there with a lot of new launches from several brands (desi and videsi both). But the fact is that the global brands sort them out earlier (except Skoda) and within a couple of months from launch, you can pick up their cars. Also, at the price point of XUV (28 lacs for top end), I don't remember which car had so many initial niggles spread across lots.

The earlier 2011-2013 XUV500's had severe issues (exceptions might be there) and even the later ones were not niggle free either. What is more alarming is that even after 10 years, nothing much seems to have changed at Mahindra. There is already insider information about brake pad issues in the initial lots before even deliveries. Good luck spending 29 lacs then visiting the service centre next day .
Can you please suggest as per you where would you park your dime for the same price range ? May be that would help get clarity and be helpful to the potential buyers and please.dont suggest xuv 700 post a year or so coz the price range changes accordingly. Requirements are as follows:-

Diesel MT AWD - 25-26L on road
Diesel AT AWD - 26-29L on road
Monty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 00:57   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post

I don't know exactly where the guy drove the vehicle, neither am I aware of the condition of the roads in question. In one of his earlier reviews for Diesel AT, he claimed that he drove on city roads. Honestly I too found the mileage too good to be true. I am not certifying the results of the youtuber by any means.
Better we wait and see for ourselves.
Old 18th October 2021, 01:02   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
India Garage, near Hoodi has the Diesel AT and MT available for test drive. However, they have the same colours available- Midnight Black, Electric Blue and Silver. Location is near Whitefield Decathlon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
You can try Anant Cars, ORR, they have all the colors barring the red one, moreover they have both Diesel and Petrol in AT and MT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
I also visited India Garage, Lalbagh Road and I think they mentioned the other colors are at their Palace Road showroom. Not 100% sure though - best to call and confirm before dropping by.
Thank you for all your suggestions! I did contact Anant Cars and they redirected me to their Bannerghatta Road branch. They had the white in stock and we've finalized on white as well. Although, I was not happy with the TD offered at the Bannerghatta Road showroom. It was a path they charted out through the old Honeywell offices. It was definitely a route more apt for the Thar than the XUV7OO considering the XUV7OO is going to be driven on tarmac roads a whole lot more. Got a much better TD at the Sireesh Auto showroom near Silk Board.

Now that the colour is sorted out, the last piece of the puzzle is the fuel type! Trying to make a decision between the Petrol and Diesel for the AX7 L AT variant of the XUV700.

Here are the numbers I was working out:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  28.5 KB

Data sources:

Petrol Highway FE :
Diesel Highway FE:

Extrapolated city mileage - By multiplying the above highway mileage numbers using the (cityMileage/highwayMileage) numbers obtained from below

Diesel (Safari's mileage figures): https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...real-27516.htm

Petrol (Seltos' turbo petrol mileage figures): https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...real-24645.htm

Here are some factors to consider,

1. My workplace is around 7km away. I expect to use the car for around 3 days a week
2. While it is not a norm currently, I would like to go on a highway trip once a month (600km roundtrip perhaps?)
3. Current office distance might change if/when I change companies. So that 7km isn't a given for the long term
4. I am used to the butter smooth engine of the Honda Jazz. So the vibes reaching the cabin in the diesel XUV7OO was a bummer.
5. A part of me wants to say go for the petrol and enjoy the car. While the rational half says - get the diesel and save money
6. I had only the petrol in mind. Until I saw this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

8. My sources are telling me that petrol XUV customers should not expect more than 5-6 kmpl for automatic and 6-7 kmpl for manual versions in bumper to bumper traffic. Getting double digit figures in city should be a cause for celebration.

An FE of 5-6kmpl in city traffic was a massive letdown. That's why I started considering the diesel engine instead.

It doesn't seem like a clear cut decision. But any pointers that will help me make this decision are welcome!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 18th October 2021 at 01:06.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 01:12   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
Can you please suggest as per you where would you park your dime for the same price range ? May be that would help get clarity and be helpful to the potential buyers and please.dont suggest xuv 700 post a year or so coz the price range changes accordingly. Requirements are as follows:-

Diesel MT AWD - 25-26L on road
Diesel AT AWD - 26-29L on road
Tucson diesel AWD auto for 26-29 (discounts included - which are decent currently). I also agree that there is no other MT AWD alternative at this price range. But to be honest, I'd prefer peace of mind while travelling with my family at night instead of an AWD system.

I understand that you are quite offended by the above and earlier posts of mine and thus you chose to digress from the reliability and niggles factor and bring in the AWD requirement. I don't know what kind of love and affection you have for Mahindra, but I can only wish you good luck for your future experience with your vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2021 at 08:28. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks for the support & understanding
Old 18th October 2021, 08:35   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Tucson diesel AWD auto for 26-29 (discounts included - which are decent currently).
I'd be stunned if someone is able to get it below 32 lakhs OTR in Bangalore. I'd be impressed even with 33 lakhs. If someone has been able to do this, I'd really like to know..

The quoted price is 34.5 lakhs.

Last edited by yogishkamath : 18th October 2021 at 08:35. Reason: Wrong grammar
yogishkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 08:39   #2309
Senior - BHPian

An interesting video posted on some of the "issues" related to practical implementation of ADAS in Indian conditions. The video seems to be in Tamil, but one can more or less get the gist of it in terms of how the ADAS features may interfere with what can only assume as normal driving practices in high-density urban and highway environments.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 09:11   #2310
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the scoops.
Quote:
1. As per the bookings received so far, the split between petrol and diesel is around 60:40 which is surprising because of the potential fuel drinking habits of the petrol engine. Same was observed in case of the Hector too.
Maybe cause the petrol is more readily available and has shorter waiting periods? Or initial buyers really want that 200bhp milesteone.
Quote:
2. Customers are preferring the manual variants the least and the diesel manual in general is the lowest preferred one. The AX3 variants are only accounting for around 15% of the bookings so far.
Obvious trend, hope the manual-diesel isn't axed years down the line.

Quote:
We can also expect some variant rejig in this timeframe with Mahindra discontinuing some slow selling variants.
Wonder the percentage of bookings the MX has.

Quote:
10. By 2026 Mahindra wants to have the title of the manufacturer with the most number of variants on sale in the Indian car market. This will include variant combinations like Manual/Automatic, FWD/AWD, Soft top/ Hard top etc.
Something refreshing. So different from the usual, "will stop ICE, only EV by 202x" statements. Hope they do bring 4x4 and AWD to the mid variants, instead of just top variants. Especially hope the next gen Scorpio gets the equivalent of the S4 4X4 variant.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks