Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 09:55   #4291
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Pilliainp ....
Post the pics tomorrow which would give a more clear idea.
Here's a pic of the damage. Please forgive the quality. The camera may be pretty good (EOS 60D), but it is in the hands of a rank amateur.

These are the worst of the scratches. There are a few blemishes on the clearcoat towards the right-most side, but they do not show in the photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-scratched_up.jpg  

Old 21st April 2012, 10:27   #4292
BHPian

My Vento met with an accident two days back. A bus hit the front part of the car. Luckily there were no injuries. But the front part of the bonnet had dents, the right headlight came off completely and the right side door was jammed partially. I lodged a claim with my insurance provider, Future Generali. I was planning to drop the car for repair at either Volkswagen Downtown or at Volkwagen Palace Cross. Future Generali does not have a tie-up with Volkswagen workshop. So the labour charges are higher at 20% - 30%, which I may have to pay. Future Generali suggested that I get my car repaired by Vahan brand of work shops (Carz in Bangalore), with which they have a tie-up and I may also get complete reimbursement. They recommend these workshops for the body work, at least.
I would like to have members advice or suggestions regarding the repair.
Few questions that I have are:
1. Which one of the Volkswagen work shops is better (service, work and knowledge wise), Downtown or Palace Cross?
(I prefer Downtown, as it is closer, but can use the other, if there is a significant difference in user experience.)
2. Does any one have experience with Carz workshop (Rajajinagar/Outer Ring Road) in Bangalore, quality, knowledge, service levels?
3. Would it affect the warranty, if I get the car repaired by Carz workshop?

Thanks for the help.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:17   #4293
Distinguished - BHPian

While others get back to you with their opinions and the answers to your other queries, PFA my inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaja View Post
So the labour charges are higher at 20% - 30%, which I may have to pay.
If I understand correctly, by not having a tie-up (for cashless feature), you might have to pay the entire amount and then later await a cheque from the insurance company. Get that cleared from the workshop/insurance company (IC).

Quote:
Future Generali suggested that I get my car repaired by Vahan brand of work shops (Carz in Bangalore), with which they have a tie-up and I may also get complete reimbursement. They recommend these workshops for the body work, at least.
The reason they have a tie-up is the workshop gives a discounted rate (for repair/etc) to the IC, and rarely is ever the reason that the workshop in discussion is the best option in the market. With a finicky company like VW on warranty matters, I'd either opt for the VW workshop (considering the damage) or atleast do a proper checkup on the other workshop in discussion.

Also, with reference to the bolded line (above), what exactly do they/you mean by "may get complete re-imbursement"? If you have opted for the zero depreciation policy, then you should be getting full re-imbursement, irrespective of the workshop. If you have opted for the comprehensive policy, then it is a different matter (but then I would be very suspicious of what that line implies!)

Quote:
Ideally, no. Have opted for that route for a paint job, without any issues. But if any parts are being replaced, ensure that they are genuine.

Hope that was helpful.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:30   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Here's a pic of the damage. Please forgive the quality. The camera may be pretty good (EOS 60D), but it is in the hands of a rank amateur.

These are the worst of the scratches. There are a few blemishes on the clearcoat towards the right-most side, but they do not show in the photograph.
These are keying marks by some frustrated person. Those scratches can we worked with Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 with a foam applicator pad. If you have a 3M Car Care near you, you would be able to source it from them as they keep Meguiars products.

Quote:
1. Which one of the Volkswagen work shops is better (service, work and knowledge wise), Downtown or Palace Cross?
(I prefer Downtown, as it is closer, but can use the other, if there is a significant difference in user experience.)
2. Does any one have experience with Carz workshop (Rajajinagar/Outer Ring Road) in Bangalore, quality, knowledge, service levels?

Thanks for the help.
Sorry about incident but good to know no one was hurt, which is more important.

I would suggest you to get the work done from VW Workshop only because of quality of work. You might save a few thousand at Vahan but if the quality of work is not good, you would not be liking it one bit. You would have peace of mind at VW workshop.

A Banglore Team-Bhpian would be able to suggest from which workshop you could have better work.

Later on check with VW Workshop with whom they have tie up with insurance company and during the next renewal of insurance change over to those having tie up as it makes the process very easy. Mostly VW workshop have tie up with BhartiAXA, BajajAllianz & ICICI. You will lose your 20% NCB because of the claim on the next renewal.

Hope it helps,
Cheers.
Old 21st April 2012, 22:43   #4295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Well, the honeymoon is over.

I had gone to the bank at Parassala to see whether some official DD's were ready yet, and parked Big Blue outside. The whole thing took maybe 30 minutes, and it was the only time during the whole day that the car was out of my direct view. After that I went straight home, and never sent out again that day.

This morning, the first thing I hear when I wake up is that there are some pretty bad scratches on the hood just above the right headlamp.

I am thinking some sicko must have done this while I was parked at Parassala, but I must not have noticed it in the rush of the day.

I just cannot understand why these idiots cannot leave another guy's car alone but must trash it immediately. Is it jealousy, or something else?

Wil post some clear pics tomorrow, as I desperately need advice on what to do about fixing this.

The scratches are not really that bad (only slight penetration of the paint), but the location and the beautiful blue color of the car make it look much worse.

It's heartbreaking, really.
Sorry to hear about it, yes.. it will be heartbreaking..
Even on my car, there are scratches on all sides.. Jealousy souls are everywhere.. They scratched my car with the car key.. In some places its just the scratch & in some places the paint peeled off..
I didnt have an option other than to to do some touch up work..

Very annoying to even think about it..
Old 21st April 2012, 23:10   #4296
BHPian

I received my first service invoice for 10183/- & paid it by credit card to Palace Cross service station.

A little more detailed post is in my thread here.

Anything specific that I should check once I get my car back tomorrow?
Old 21st April 2012, 23:28   #4297
BHPian

Thanks, ninjatalli and el lobo 6061, for your advice and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If I understand correctly, by not having a tie-up (for cashless feature), you might have to pay the entire amount and then later await a cheque from the insurance company. Get that cleared from the workshop/insurance company (IC).

Also, with reference to the bolded line (above), what exactly do they/you mean by "may get complete re-imbursement"? If you have opted for the zero depreciation policy, then you should be getting full re-imbursement, irrespective of the workshop.
That is correct. I need to pay the entire amount and claim it later. Also, as mentioned, the labour charges will be higher than the ones they charge for the insurers with whom they have a tie-up.

I opted for a zero depreciation policy. "may get complete re-imbursement" is my statement based on the discussion. If I go with Vahan workshops, I will get complete reimbursement as the charges are agreed between the insurer and the workshop. In case of VW workshops, the labour charges might differ from the max labour charges schedule that the insurer has. My understanding is that the difference might need to be paid by me. I have to check again with the insurer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Later on check with VW Workshop with whom they have tie up with insurance company and during the next renewal of insurance change over to those having tie up as it makes the process very easy. Mostly VW workshop have tie up with BhartiAXA, BajajAllianz & ICICI.
VW Downtown has tie-up with Bajaj Allianz. Plan to change the insurance provider next year.
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:27   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to have members advice or suggestions regarding the repair.

Thanks for the help.
First of all, sorry for the accident & good to know that no one got hurt.

I just had my first car service done at Palace Cross. Actually, Downtown is nearer for me too, but I chose Palace Cross as I heard from fellow Vento owners in Bangalore that it is better than the other. You can read about my experience in my thread. I am happy with them, but I find that if know exactly what needs to be done & with help from TBHP posts, you can get the same work done in Downtown too.

My suggestion: Palace Cross workshop is at Hesaraghatta, a far away place to central Bangalore. They can pick your car, take a list of your complaints & get the repair done and drop the car back to you. But, if you want to have a face to face discussion, and probably couple of more post-repair visits to the workshop, I dont think Palace Cross would be the right one. So, considering that you have taken insurance from non-VW-partners, better you take estimates from both workshops & depending on that, you can bargain in Downtown & get it done there. You can also check with your insurer to find out how much you may have to pay up from your pocket.

Also, IMO it wouldnt be a good idea to go to a non-VW workshop for repairs.

BTW, I recently renewed my insurance with BajajAllianz for 26149/- with zero depreciation benefits. This includes 20% NCB. I checked again with other providers (VW has tie-ups with ICICI, AXA, Bajaj & one more) before renewal & found that Bajaj was the best for VW. I suggest you change it to Bajaj at the end of the current policy year.

And post your experience & the prices quoted, for all of our benefit.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:48   #4299
BHPian

So Guys! I am ready with a comparative study. I was in Pune over the weekend, Father in law owns a Fluidic Verna (1.6 CRDI) with 38,000 KM on the ODO, so I drove it for 3 days, its a pretty decent car, with a lot of gadgets packed inside it.

Now the main part, after 3 days of Verna, I came back to Bangalore, my Shadowfax (Vento TDI with 32,000 KM on the ODO) was parked at the airport, and I drove it back. Trust me, there was a huge, I mean huuuuuuuge difference in the engine refinement of both the vehicles, Vento still pounds like a horse, the grunt is still music to the ears, but this wasnt the case with Verna, just to calibrate, I drove a new Verna with 5000 KM on the ODO this morning (my co-worker's), and the engine was pretty refined.

So the conclusion: No offence to the Verna owners, but I feel that the engine refinement fades of in a Hyundai car in a matter of some thousand KM on the ODO, I have seen this with my brother's Getz as well.
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 03:09   #4300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
So Guys! I am ready with a comparative study. I was in Pune over the weekend, Father in law owns a Fluidic Verna (1.6 CRDI) with 38,000 KM on the ODO, so I drove it for 3 days, its a pretty decent car, with a lot of gadgets packed inside it.

Now the main part, after 3 days of Verna, I came back to Bangalore, my Shadowfax (Vento TDI with 32,000 KM on the ODO) was parked at the airport, and I drove it back. Trust me, there was a huge, I mean huuuuuuuge difference in the engine refinement of both the vehicles, Vento still pounds like a horse, the grunt is still music to the ears, but this wasnt the case with Verna, just to calibrate, I drove a new Verna with 5000 KM on the ODO this morning (my co-worker's), and the engine was pretty refined.

So the conclusion: No offence to the Verna owners, but I feel that the engine refinement fades of in a Hyundai car in a matter of some thousand KM on the ODO, I have seen this with my brother's Getz as well.
Same goes for my i20 too, it was quieter when I bought it two & half years ago. Now the engine noise is pretty evident & the sweet rev happy noise has turned into a unpleasant growl. Mixed with the infamous rattles, it is not a very happy place to be in. Hyundai are you listening ??
Old 24th April 2012, 08:45   #4301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora

Same goes for my i20 too, it was quieter when I bought it two & half years ago. Now the engine noise is pretty evident & the sweet rev happy noise has turned into a unpleasant growl. Mixed with the infamous rattles, it is not a very happy place to be in. Hyundai are you listening ??

For how many kms do you change the engine oil and which oil do you use?
Old 24th April 2012, 10:52   #4302
Distinguished - BHPian

A little OT point, but still valid to the above discussion - a friend's relative has a Vento tdi that has just under-gone the fifth servicing. Yup, 75k already done on the odometer. Basically last year they wanted a work-horse, and weirdly, a german one at that.

They booked this car on the day it was launched, even before a demo car was available, and as per them, this was the third car delivered all across India.

My friend who has sat in both cars; as per her, the car's engine is as fresh as mine's. Plus she feels the suspension is better on the older one!!! I'll be validating this a few months later when I'll head over to her hometown in my car. Expect a detailed report from me when that happens.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th April 2012 at 11:06.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:22   #4303
Senior - BHPian

Add one more Vento owner to this virtual group. Detailed report will come up in a while. Incidentally, I am now a proud owner of a White Vento TDI, Highline.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:33   #4304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A little OT point, but still valid to the above discussion - a friend's relative has a Vento tdi that has just under-gone the fifth servicing. Yup, 75k already done on the odometer. Basically last year they wanted a work-horse, and weirdly, a german one at that.
ninja I also came across 75k service report of a Polo Tdi. Service cost - 12k! Thats very reassuring, considering how so many people (even on this forum) were sacred of horribly high service and maintenance costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Add one more Vento owner to this virtual group. Detailed report will come up in a while. Incidentally, I am now a proud owner of a White Vento TDI, Highline.
Congrats Onegative! Is it 2012 model. Eagerly waiting for your report. Wish you a very happy ownership.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:06   #4305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Wooooohoooo!!! Congrats! Eagerly awaiting the detailed report. Do post the link and photographs of the beauty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks