Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 19:41   #901
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

I'm as surprised as you are swiftnfurious.

By the way, the other cars which use synthetic oil (Polo/punto) have a service interval of 15000 kms or 1 year. I see that hasnt changed here, so whats the logic?

By the way - The new grade of oil - is it synthetic or semi synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What is the intention behind this? Just to cover all the losses they had due to the strike? I believe this move is going to cost Maruti MUCH! Swift was never that cheap to service, it just got worser! And the service interval is going to stay the same!! B-A-D !

And with this, Maruti just gave one more instance for the A$$ to fleece the customer of money. Am sure, citing this circular, many A$$ are going to force customers to shifting to synthetic oil. Crazy!
Old 16th February 2012, 22:40   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Whats the current waiting times for Swift Zdi if i book now ???
i am thinking of booking it in Delhi NCR, any pointers or preferred dealers ??
I had a quote from few dealers and the wait times for ZDI are as high as upto 7-8 months, when i said that people are getting it earlier the salesman said that it depends on cancellations etc but didnt get a clear answer. The dealer was Magic auto, Dwarka.

For VDI its 5-6 months but i have already had a test drive of the same and wont recommend it, the brakes are extremely poor and with a car like Swift you dont need that.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:32   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
The answer is the circular attached in the post below. I am surprised at this move by maruti to mandate a fully synthetic oil for swift with FGT, that too with 10k km oil change interval. New swift owners should expect the service costs to go up by ~3k for every oil change service.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2680931

EDIT - this most likely will apply to the new Dzire as well.
Thanks for the TSB. This is a bad move. The owner should be given the option to choose between regular or synthetic. After all, we have many DDiS on this very forum with Odo reading of a lakh + on regular oil without any trouble what so ever. Is this Maruti' way of ascertaining the Swift as a premium hatch?

I am nearing 5K and keen on another oil + filter change for the 2nd service. Let me find out what the SA has to say.

Last edited by deetjohn : 17th February 2012 at 14:35. Reason: Grammar!
Old 17th February 2012, 14:49   #904
Senior - BHPian

This whole synthetic oil thing is a bad move by MSIL which will unnecessarily increase the maintenance cost. And they are not very clear about this too, even on other cars. When I went for the 2nd service of our A-Star, the SA said that the oil change @ next service would be synthetic. I went home, read the manual, did not find any mention about requiring to use synthetic-oil (it just mentions the grade of oil to be used) and decided that at next service I will insist on mineral oil citing the manual. But the SA did not even mention synthetic and mineral oil was used. In contrast, the MASS used synthetic oil during 3rd service of a colleague's Alto-K10 (having the same K-series engine as A-Star). Leaves me wondering that this looks like a money-spinning deal for the service-centres.

Guys, look up your car manual and unless it mentions synthetic, do not agree to the service centre. And also ask to have a look at the so-called circular from MSIL, that insists on synthetic oil.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:05   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
..And they are not very clear about this too, even on other cars. When I went for the 2nd service of our A-Star, the SA said that the oil change @ next service would be synthetic...
See this is what I was mentioning in my other post! Now showing this circular as reason, the A$$ will start squeezing the customers for synthetic oil!

From what I understand, the usage of synthetic oil is ONLY for Swifts manufactured after a particular VIN number & NOT any other models or NOT even older Swifts! Those people who dont keep up with the happenings are going to fall for this & surely run away from Maruti in future!

VIN from where synthetic oil is mandated -- MA3FHEB1S00179480

Screenshot of the notification showing cut-off VIN

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-maruti_synthetic.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th February 2012 at 15:15. Reason: Adding the VIN Info & screenshot!
Old 17th February 2012, 16:00   #906
Senior - BHPian

Couple of queries, swiftnfurious :

1) Is this VIN-specific shift to synthetic-oil only for diesels or also for Swift-Petrols ?
2) Any idea why the shift to synthetic oil post the VIN mentioned above ? What has changed in the Swifts after this VIN to require synthetic oil ?
Old 17th February 2012, 16:33   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This whole synthetic oil thing is a bad move by MSIL which will unnecessarily increase the maintenance cost. And they are not very clear about this too, even on other cars. When I went for the 2nd service of our A-Star, the SA said that the oil change @ next service would be synthetic. I went home, read the manual, did not find any mention about requiring to use synthetic-oil (it just mentions the grade of oil to be used) and decided that at next service I will insist on mineral oil citing the manual. But the SA did not even mention synthetic and mineral oil was used. In contrast, the MASS used synthetic oil during 3rd service of a colleague's Alto-K10 (having the same K-series engine as A-Star). Leaves me wondering that this looks like a money-spinning deal for the service-centres.

Guys, look up your car manual and unless it mentions synthetic, do not agree to the service centre. And also ask to have a look at the so-called circular from MSIL, that insists on synthetic oil.
Our Wagon R with K10 Engine purchased in September 2010 had synthetic oil from day 1. I was told that all new car with K series engines would have synthetic engine and first oil change would be done after 10K kms. and all subsequent oil changes would be done every 15K kms.

However, our Baleno got regular mineral oil and service interval is 5K kms. I was not recommended synthetic oil by MASS ( I know that Baleno's motor sings on synthetic oil, but wont put it right now ). So I think its genuine move. Not sure about M16 of SX4, but other older engines have still mineral oil.

Will check out what they are selling in F8D Alto and reply back. But to the best of my knowledge, the K series have been moved to synthetic oil by Maruti ( i.e.Maruti recommends synthetic oil ).
Old 17th February 2012, 16:35   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) Is this VIN-specific shift to synthetic-oil only for diesels or also for Swift-Petrols ?
2) Any idea why the shift to synthetic oil post the VIN mentioned above ? What has changed in the Swifts after this VIN to require synthetic oil ?
1. The brochure says "new Swift-D". So I take it that only the diesel Swifts manufactured after the mentioned VIN will require synthetic oil.

2. Even I am looking for an answer. Some one who goes for service could extract this or I will try to know when I go for service next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Our Wagon R with K10 Engine purchased in September 2010 had synthetic oil from day 1. I was told that all new car with K series engines would have synthetic engine and first oil change would be done after 10K kms. and all subsequent oil changes would be done every 15K kms.
Are you sure about this? Our Wagon R Lxi bought in Oct 2010 uses mineral oil. I had replaced the oil in Dec 2010 at 1000 kms and mineral oil was filled into it. We have NOT got any information on 15K service interval as well. I have neither seen this reference in any of the new Wagon R ownership reviews as well!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th February 2012 at 16:39.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:30   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
However, our Baleno got regular mineral oil and service interval is 5K kms.
OT here, but since you mentioned - how do you say service interval is 5K kms for Baleno ? It is 10K kms or 1-year for service & oil-change. If your MASS has been insisting on bringing it every 5K kms, then they have been fleecing you like the MASS here at Chennai. Check the relevant portion from the Baleno manual below which indicates the periodic-service duration and oil-change to be 10K kms or 12months
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-balenomaint.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
But to the best of my knowledge, the K series have been moved to synthetic oil by Maruti ( i.e.Maruti recommends synthetic oil ).
Where do they recommend it? Is it there in your WagonR manual ? We don't see it in the A-Star manual as I mentioned earlier. And how did you make out that your Waggy came with synthetic oil?

EDIT: Checked the manuals of both OldWaggy and K10Waggy online on the MSIL site and no reference seen to synthetic. Also oil change interval is 10K kms for both. Only difference I see is in the recommended grade of oil. For oldWagonR, they have mentioned API Grade SF/SG/SH, while for the new one, they mention API Grade SG+. Does SG+ mean synthetic ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th February 2012 at 17:58.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:49   #910
BHPian

What about Ritz and SX4 DDiS which share the same engine? Is it applicable to them also or just limited to Swift/dzire?
Old 18th February 2012, 00:33   #911
BHPian

To illustrate an e.g. about how the periodic services work..

My DDIS SX4 has a periodic service scheduled every 5000km. It consumes only synthetic oil. So does it mean that MASS change the engine oil every time the car is serviced?
No..

Oil change is every 10000km only.

Each 5000km service entails general checks, oil top ups, WA & WB, etc.

This kind of service schedule is also a standard practice used by Toyota (for my Fortuner).
Old 18th February 2012, 21:51   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. The brochure says "new Swift-D". So I take it that only the diesel Swifts manufactured after the mentioned VIN will require synthetic oil.

2. Even I am looking for an answer.
Could this be for engines manufactured (sourced) from the Fiat plant? Maybe there's some difference in the manufacturing process between Fiat and Maruti plants and Fiat mandates synthetic oil? Since Maruti cannot have different recommendations for cars using Maruti/Fiat manufactured engines, they have chosen to recommend Synthetic oil for all cars. But then, does it mean that the engines sourced from Fiat will be used exclusively in Swift - and probably the new Dzire as well? It will be interesting if any new Dzire diesel owners can confirm if their manual recommends synthetic oil.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:01   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Could this be for engines manufactured (sourced) from the Fiat plant? Maybe there's some difference in the manufacturing process between Fiat and Maruti plants and Fiat mandates synthetic oil? Since Maruti cannot have different recommendations for cars using Maruti/Fiat manufactured engines, they have chosen to recommend Synthetic oil for all cars. But then, does it mean that the engines sourced from Fiat will be used exclusively in Swift - and probably the new Dzire as well? It will be interesting if any new Dzire diesel owners can confirm if their manual recommends synthetic oil.
My November Manufactured Swift VIN is MA3FHEB1S0016XXXX.
This 1000km oil change/synthetic oil @ 10k intervals seems to be applicable for Cars from VIN no. MA3FHEB1S00179480 i,e manufactured around 1st or 2nd week of December 2011. (based on production nos.) Anyway I will check with Maruti *** once.

In between my Swift seems to have settled around 17kmpl mark with 100%AC & City/ORR Runs. Range for full tank Auto Cutoff is around 580 km.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:13   #914
Senior - BHPian

I hope, manufacturers are not trying to phase out mineral oils which are very cost effective. I'm someone who loves to have synthetic oil, because I've experienced a world of difference with drive quality on my Esteem after I changed to Mobil1. But, I don't consider them as cost effective though.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:36   #915
BHPian

Had a long call with my dealer (we know the team lead for a while now) on status of Swift ZDI booked by me on Jan and my friend in Nov who was willing to swap the booking with me. Also checked the same with a few other dealers. The feedback is that

1) MSIL is strictly controlling all allocations. The dealer ability to prioritize vehicle is severely limited now as the allocations to the dealer has come down drastically. They have zero/few received many ZDIs this month. They were expecting a few allocations and haven't received any this month. Same story with many dealers in Chennai. The official wait time for ZDI is now hitting 8 months

2) Checked on taking a RITZ VDI ABS instead. Only one vehicle has been allocated to them this month and that too from Dec 2011 batch.

3) Asked me to expect a letter from MSIL indicating more delays in all diesel vehicle probably due to the budget and potential price hike/excise duty.

Now seriously considering whether I should bite the bullet and take the only Dec 2011 Ritz VDI ABS or the buy Punto 1.3 75bHP emotion which is available in max 20 days time. Some part of me and my family is still forcing me to take a bet on prices not increasing and just wait as I can manage without a car for 3 months.

Most Viewed