Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:19   #3346
BHPian

Quote:
Only front windows have power windows, one of them illuminated on driver side.
the passenger side power window switch is also illuminated!

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd October 2010 at 19:11.
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:54   #3347
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Ford recommends raising the rpm to 3000 for 30secs once every week. What does this do?
Forget Ford, I recommend it . What does it do? Bring a wide grin to your face!

Jokes apart, engines that have had their legs stretched ever so often feel much "sharper" & revv happier. You should have seen the way my OHC Vtec used to bounce off the revv limiter. Or even the Civic : When I bought the car (used), it really wasn't that revv-happy, as the previous owner probably never went over 3,000 rpms. The last 7,000 kms under my heavy right foot have changed it all. The 1.8 feels way smoother (and quicker) when working up the revv limiter.

Ford probably wants you to do it to clear up carbon buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Can you explain what features the Autocop provides that you miss in the OE Immobilser+Key Less Entry apart from the 'Keen..keen' beeper? Even I miss it at times.

However from a anti-theft point of view, an immobiliser is definetly more effective than the Burglar Alarm equipped autocop. Do you think anyone cares to even give a glance to car that screams, 'keen...keeen' when someone's trying to steal it?

My suggestion is not to replace the OE equipment with Autocop.
I wouldn't completely agree with that, Kiku. I got an Autocop for my Civic, despite a Honda security system being standard equipment. Here's why:

- The new age Autocops integrate, and work along with, your factory system. Effectively, you have double the security.

- That means, your factory immobiliser (and other functions) work as intended. In addition, I have the Autocop's motion sensors (any movement inside will trigger it), glass protection , impact sensors (which I have turned off by the way) and an extra siren (when the alarm goes off, the horn + autocop siren both start blaring)

- The Autocop is so well integrated that a separate remote control isn't required either. It works off the Honda key itself!
Old 23rd October 2010, 16:21   #3348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
the passenger side power window switch is also illuminated!
Driver side has two buttons in Figo. One for driver side window and other for passenger side window (In fiesta its four). On driver side only dirver side window's button illuminated. However at other door's respective buttons are illuminated (In Figo, Front passenger side window, Fiesta will have respective button illuminated.). Hope this is clear.
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:49   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Jokes apart, engines that have had their legs stretched ever so often feel much "sharper" & revv happier.

Ford probably wants you to do it to clear up carbon buildup.
Should this be done during run-in period(first 1500km) as well?
It seems to be the recommendation for every car as per your post. Quite a useful tip.

Quote:
I wouldn't completely agree with that, Kiku. I got an Autocop for my Civic, despite a Honda security system being standard equipment. Here's why:

- The new age Autocops integrate, and work along with, your factory system. Effectively, you have double the security.

- That means, your factory immobiliser (and other functions) work as intended. In addition, I have the Autocop's motion sensors (any movement inside will trigger it), glass protection , impact sensors (which I have turned off by the way) and an extra siren (when the alarm goes off, the horn + autocop siren both start blaring)

- The Autocop is so well integrated that a separate remote control isn't required either. It works off the Honda key itself!
Your Civic has better security system as compared to the Indian Parliament.
Can you please share the model number of this Z+ category security system from Autocop with us?
I think its specifically designed for installation in cars with OEM security system as you have mentioned that we don't even need an extra remote.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 23rd October 2010 at 17:52.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:12   #3350
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Should this be done during run-in period(first 1500km) as well?
NO!!! Please read our advice article on safely running in your car. I wouldn't high-revv any car until she has completed atleast 3,000 kms.

Quote:
Can you please share the model number of this Z+ category security system from Autocop with us?
XS-PLIP-80 (RCI/2)
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:42   #3351
Team-BHP Support

I have a question now that red-lining is being discussed.

I regularly red-line whatever Car or Motorcycle I am driving/riding, but I am a virgin with diesel engines, almost, and diesel engines do not like revs much is what I think after my brief driving stints with them.

What should their red-line limit be? Should we stick to the rpm where the Car makes it max power? As torque is generated at a lower rpm compared to power. Is there some criterion with diesels?
Is it true that carbon build up is least if it is red-lined in first gear compared to the rest?(you may ignore this question, but if the answer is in affirmative, then please say so)

^^I recently red-lined and shifted my friend's Swift 1.3G for ~20 kms and never went above the 3rd cog and the Car felt freer.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd October 2010 at 22:44.
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:54   #3352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
XS-PLIP-80 (RCI/2)
GTO, if the existing system is not tampered with then it's brilliant! When I enquired here in Chennai none suggested this option.

BTW this motion sensors is what the VW Vento has right?
Old 24th October 2010, 08:08   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^^I recently red-lined and shifted my friend's Swift 1.3G for ~20 kms and never went above the 3rd cog and the Car felt freer.
Thats a psychological feel we go through after redlining any vehicle. But the vehicle does not get any better because of that!!
Old 24th October 2010, 08:49   #3354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats a psychological feel we go through after redlining any vehicle. But the vehicle does not get any better because of that!!
Don't the valve seat/piston top get rid of their carbon deposits?

Have a look at the pic I am posting, its of a screaming I-4 which makes 180ps+ power and redlines at 13,000rpm, limited at 299kmph
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc_1005.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 21:14   #3355
BHPian

@GTO: Why is redlining good for the car? & I used to think that redlining is bad for the engine!!
Old 25th October 2010, 17:00   #3356
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
but I am a virgin with diesel engines, almost, and diesel engines do not like revs much is what I think after my brief driving stints with them.
Except for the occasional high-revving sprint, its best to "work the torque" with diesels. Translated = Upshift early in regular driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
GTO, if the existing system is not tampered with then it's brilliant! When I enquired here in Chennai none suggested this option.
No alteration to the existing system. They merely patched the Autocop onto the factory-fit system, much like a piggyback ECU works over the standard.

Quote:
BTW this motion sensors is what the VW Vento has right?
Not sure what the Vento has. The motion sensors I spoke about are infrared devices mounted on the top of each A Pillar (on the inside). Once I lock the car, the alarm will sound off if there is any movement inside (say, a thief breaks a glass and accesses the car).

Let me know if you want to see pictures of the infrared cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
@GTO: Why is redlining good for the car? & I used to think that redlining is bad for the engine!!
The higher the revvs, the more the wear & tear. However, modern engines (petrols especially) will easily last 2.0 lakh kms (with the right oil changes), if not 3.0 lakhs. Why we high-revv?

- Because we love to
- I've always felt that a car which has been high-revved ever so often has a sharper throttle, and a free'er engine, than one which has never gone "the right side" of 3,000 rpm.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:23   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
You bet!
I had not done the 3000rpm ritual for 2weeks. I could do it only on Sunday. Eversince I am grinning ear to ear. The engine has become so much more free indulging you to push it more. The grin disappears only when you look at the DTE
I had not felt the free feeling so much, earlier when I had done the ritual.
Thank you Gemithomas and GTO for the explanation.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:52   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
The higher the revvs, the more the wear & tear. However, modern engines (petrols especially) will easily last 2.0 lakh kms (with the right oil changes), if not 3.0 lakhs. Why we high-revv?

- Because we love to
- I've always felt that a car which has been high-revved ever so often has a sharper throttle, and a free'er engine, than one which has never gone "the right side" of 3,000 rpm.
That means:
- redlining is still bad for the engine.
- it just gives a good feeling. May be, after a redlining the ECU keeps the engine/transmission/other systems on the edge to keep up with your style of driving. (I am just speculating)

My car redlines at 6500rpm (if i go by the red marking on the RPM meter). I have never got to that. Though it gets to around 5K on kickdowns, while cruising at around 100kmph, the rpm is a bit above 2.5K. So I guess I am a sedate driver.
Old 26th October 2010, 08:47   #3359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
That means:
- redlining is still bad for the engine.
Yes, if you keep the rpm pinned near the red-line for extended periods.

Quote:
- it just gives a good feeling. May be, after a redlining the ECU keeps the engine/transmission/other systems on the edge to keep up with your style of driving. (I am just speculating)
No. It frees the Car (or in a wider spectrum, the engine) of its carbon deposits.
Just yesterday I took out my Motorcycle after a long time, after warming it up for 10+kms, I red-lined it in first 3 gears or better put it till the limiter cut in. You WILL know that it is revving freely/smoothly and is so eager to hit the ceiling.

What smell is emitted post hard driving/riding? (hell, seems we need to start a new thread on this topic)

Quote:
My car redlines at 6500rpm (if i go by the red marking on the RPM meter). I have never got to that. Though it gets to around 5K on kickdowns, while cruising at around 100kmph, the rpm is a bit above 2.5K. So I guess I am a sedate driver.
Yes, everyone should be a sedate driver on roads.
But you can always red-line it in first two or three gears, say every 1000kms(at-least).
Old 26th October 2010, 15:19   #3360
BHPian

Got an ugly dent and scratch this morning on my way to office. It was partially my mistake as I misjudged the gap between a stationary truck parked in the wrong side of the road and an incoming bike.

Below is the shot of the scratch. I took the Figo to Lathangi's body shop (which is miles away from the city) during the lunch time and they quoted a price of 7k!
I told them that I need time to decide and took the car back. On the way I asked a local garage and they quoted 4k after some bargaining.
Now I'm in a kind of dilemma about where to take it. I can claim insurance and take it to the dealer or cough up 4k at the local garage.

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_0250.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks