Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2007, 11:18   #5206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Also, I don't think immersion in another environment is a valid argument against 5.1. That comes irrespective of whether it's 5.1 or plain old stereo - think of the little boys in their hatchbacks pumping out 18 billion watts of sound from 140 amps, 6000 subs & 45 head units. Forget a silly old T-Rex, methinks these monkeys wouldn't be able to hear a squadron of MIG-29s if it were on their behinds.
Elf, I think what Navin meant is that if the 5.1 is used for movies, there would be a lot of un-music-like sounds involved. There maybe a sound of crash that comes from the rear-speakers that could really make you lose it while driving at 120kmph on a highway, simply because it sound so real, and more so, is unexpected. The immersive effect (during movies) can be a real pain in the backside to the driver. I personally haven't driven my car in such an environment, so I can't say this as a matter of fact, but I really think this could be a likely issue.

If the 5.1 is for music alone, the "special effects" factor doesn't come in at all. In fact, I had tried out my ancient Creative 2.1 system in my Palio a few days after I bought the car (when the car was in my garage, and the speaker was being powered from a proper power outlet at home). It did sound reasonably OK, but I couldn't somehow get to terms with using that solution.
Old 27th January 2007, 11:30   #5207
Senior - BHPian

Much ado about nothing... Elf you have a knack for this...

You should try out those home surround package speakers in your car, they will sound great i'm sure...
Old 27th January 2007, 11:34   #5208
Team-BHP Support

Hydra, you are right I did nto fully understand what Elf meant. I find movie sound (simple stuff like Nemo and Shark Tale) so distracting that I fade the sound to the rear (for my son). I am seriously thinking of geting him headphone for his LCD screen but in that case he wont be able to hear us incase we are talking to him. Hence I was worried that Elf was trying to imerse himself in an enviroment that mgiht dsitract him from the road.

Elf, home speakers might be sutied for the car. Car speakers have better treated surrounds, the Qts of car woofers is usaully higher to compensate for the lossy boxes (read as doors) they are installed in etc...
Old 27th January 2007, 13:40   #5209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Rev, I use my O2 XDAIIi occasionally in the car. Mine doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, so I used an adapter from PPC Techs to use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cord (EP to RCA cord) from MX. The cable is really good, and ran to 250/- if I remember right. Sound quality is good, no issues there.

I'm not sure of the exact specs of a 6850, but this is just like any other aux-in cord. I think the 6850 has an aux-in stereo socket on the lower part of the front panel, right? If so, just use any good EP to EP (3.5mm stereo jack to 3.5mm stereo jack) cable. This will be available at any electronics supplies shop.
yea im sorry my friend jus said he has a 3.5 mm jack so i suspected it to be standard but i checked with him and he is using a connector like you.the same one i presume.

now all i need is this MX RCA cord.and yeah your right the 6850 has an AUX-in in the front.

so if this can be done i can also hook up my SE to it if i get a converter for my phone to 3.5 mm jack right ?

any idea where i can get a converter like that for my phone in bombay ? also navin is there an MX store in bombay ?
Old 27th January 2007, 19:11   #5210
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
... I think what Navin meant is that if the 5.1 is used for movies, there would be a lot of un-music-like sounds involved. There maybe a sound of crash that comes from the rear-speakers that could really make you lose it while driving at 120kmph on a highway ...
Shee shee! What have you been smoking hydrashok? Watching a movie whilst driving at 120kph??!! I wouldn't watch a movie in a car even if it was standing still! Road hazards aside, how insane do you think I am? And if I had to watch a movie, fishy cartoons, the T-Rex crap or the Governor of California wouldn't exactly be on my screen. Writhing, moaning, scantily clad, heavily contorted women in a minimum of dialogue would be more like it. No, I'm not talking about Baywatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Much ado about nothing... Elf you have a knack for this...
Who me? (insert innocent angel smiley here) Quit bugging me Bungir, was really just seeing if this whole thing was possible - just want a really cheap solution to decent sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... Elf, home speakers might be sutied for the car. Car speakers have better treated surrounds, the Qts of car woofers is usaully higher to compensate for the lossy boxes (read as doors) they are installed in etc...
Engliss pliss? Qts means what? Also, methinks the home theatre subs come in their own ported / sealed enclosures, so no problem there. Theoretically they should sound better in a car because the volume of air they'd need to move would be lesser. Also denser due to air-conditioning.

Another question - can the powered sub be wired directly to the car's power supply or would I need to re-engineer the juice to the sub (12ish volt DC methinks, v/s 220ish volt AC)...

So many questions, so little time...
Old 27th January 2007, 19:31   #5211
Team-BHP Support

Elf my dear friend. would you be so kind as to go through the 2 links below.

FAQ: Why not Home PC speakers for the car? - MP3Car.com Forums

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...tion-noob.html

If you still want to go ahead with the whole thing then you will need to get a supply to power up the sub and speakers. all these computer 5.1ch speakers I think run on 12V or thereabout though I'm not sure of the current ratings.

If you keep such a small home sub in the boot I think you will lose out on the effect as they would be designed to fire into an open room directly to the listener.

Again I'm just assuming all this with some logical thinking of my own which could be wrong as this is a first.

I had a pair of computer speakers from Sony which could also run on 8AA batteries. I tried these in my 800 and they didnt sound good at all in the car although acceptable in my room.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th January 2007 at 19:32.
Old 27th January 2007, 20:27   #5212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1 View Post
By the way, these Subs are SVC 4ohms right ??
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1 View Post
By the way, these Subs are SVC 4ohms right ??
Also, how much cu.ft. should we give them?
This should help

And the PDF i have attached below will make it even better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1220E Bassreflex.pdf (88.0 KB, 1092 views)

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th January 2007 at 20:39.
Old 27th January 2007, 20:42   #5213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shee shee! What have you been smoking hydrashok? Watching a movie whilst driving at 120kph??!! I wouldn't watch a movie in a car even if it was standing still! Road hazards aside, how insane do you think I am? And if I had to watch a movie, fishy cartoons, the T-Rex crap or the Governor of California wouldn't exactly be on my screen. Writhing, moaning, scantily clad, heavily contorted women in a minimum of dialogue would be more like it. No, I'm not talking about Baywatch.
I know you're a responsible driver, Elfie. And a bad, bad boy.

I meant the sound coming while passengers watching a movie. Which makes the sound unexpected. If you were watching the movie, the sound wouldn't be unexpected, and so wouldn't (normally) catch you unawares
Old 28th January 2007, 11:09   #5214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Engliss pliss? Qts means what? Also, methinks the home theatre subs come in their own ported / sealed enclosures, so no problem there. Theoretically they should sound better in a car because the volume of air they'd need to move would be lesser. Also denser due to air-conditioning....
Beyond the changes in power supply a home theater sub does not deal with road noise (like when your rubber is rolling on tarmac), traffic noise, etc... a home theater sub works in a less strenous envrioment (does you house get as hot as your car after it (the car) has been left out in the sun for 8 hours? You will get sound out of a home theater system in a car, i dont think the sound would be much appreciated and i also think for the same ammout you could spent on the home theater system you could get car amps and car speakers and save yourself a heap of trouble. I understand you have read the sticky that details systems from 10K to 30K.
Old 28th January 2007, 14:50   #5215
Senior - BHPian

hey navin

where in bombay can i find this MX cord ?? south bombay prefrebly.and does any one whose using sone erricson come across a connector for phone to 3.5 mm ?

Rev
Old 28th January 2007, 16:27   #5216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
hey navin

where in bombay can i find this MX cord ?? south bombay prefrebly.and does any one whose using sone erricson come across a connector for phone to 3.5 mm ?

Rev
I bought a duplicate SE RCA out convertor from Heera Panna for Rs 150 or so...

You can also buy the original SE MMC-60, seen here. Its available at most Sony World outlets.
Old 28th January 2007, 16:44   #5217
Senior - BHPian

gunbir actually i wanted this

eBay Australia: Sony Ericsson 3.5mm Headphone Connector k750 w800 (item 190075539057, end time 26-Jan-07 21:30:00 AEDST)

so now i can connect the mx cable.... one end will go into this and the other will go in my head unit.
Old 28th January 2007, 19:25   #5218
BANNED

Good ICE installers in Cochin

Hi
Does anyone knows who's the best in the installation
of audio systems in cochin or around? Previously I had a very bad experience with one of the BEST(so called) here in ernakulam...Shortly I am changing my audio system in Lancer to A/V reciever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Aaah! Tell him to contact me if he is in Cochin!! I'll ake him go mad with ICEy ideas!!!
Old 28th January 2007, 20:48   #5219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Hi
Does anyone knows who's the best in the installation
of audio systems in cochin or around? Previously I had a very bad experience with one of the BEST(so called) here in ernakulam...Shortly I am changing my audio system in Lancer to A/V reciever..
zuhemi @ emperor; think hafi too know some
Old 28th January 2007, 23:15   #5220
BANNED

@dilipkumar..... Zuhemi @ Emperor is the best known in Cochin. His professional workmanship and quality is just superb. He is an audiophile himself and experiments all sort of new audio stuff on his own car. Don't be shocked, many installers do that on others' cars.
There're some other good installers too.

Have you bought the stuff you want to be installed?

We would be glad to know where you had a bad experience earlier. And was it regarding the install or equipment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks