Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:50   #11521
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
You can check out Craig list. Org if u have friends in USA. You will get super deals there. You will find new mobiles for a cheaper price than India. Only thing is we need to unlock it, which is pretty easy for an android phone.

I got HTC One X for $250 last month.
Dear Sbala,

I am considering ordering an HTC one V from the US. I saw that you mentioned that it is easy to unlock an Android phone? Does this mean we can do it ourselves.

Also, the Craiglist website keeps redirecting to the India websites. It would be great if you could share exact links.

One V on Bestbuy/ Amazon is 180$.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:45   #11522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Dear Sbala,

I am considering ordering an HTC one V from the US. I saw that you mentioned that it is easy to unlock an Android phone? Does this mean we can do it ourselves.

Also, the Craiglist website keeps redirecting to the India websites. It would be great if you could share exact links.

One V on Bestbuy/ Amazon is 180$.

Cheers,
Tapish
Here is the link. I got the code in 15 mins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/2610758738...E:L:OC:IN:3160

Before buying, you can confirm whether the IMEI can be unlocked or not using this website - http://www.cellunlocker.net.
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:28   #11523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Anyone of you Atrix 2 friends using exchange activesync out there and are on ICS?
Sorry, I'm not using it on my phone.
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:50   #11524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Anyone of you Atrix 2 friends using exchange activesync out there and are on ICS? If yes, please tell me what all are the difference in the stock e-mail client.
Works like a charm. No issues at all ! I dont see any major difference between the mail client in GB and ICS. Mostly cosmetic only.
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:04   #11525
Senior - BHPian

If anyone in Pune is thinking of getting a Galaxy Nexus, its available in Pimpri at 21200. Just got one today for a friend.
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:55   #11526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Works like a charm. No issues at all ! I dont see any major difference between the mail client in GB and ICS. Mostly cosmetic only.
Thanks.

Can you post some SS if possible? I am worried about HTML support on Exchange 2003. Stock GB is performing well in that case, but read somewhere about some issues in ICS regarding it.
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:13   #11527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

Thanks.

Can you post some SS if possible? I am worried about HTML support on Exchange 2003. Stock GB is performing well in that case, but read somewhere about some issues in ICS regarding it.
Not sure about 2003 exchange support. I have a 2010 exchange server. On 2010 it works fine.
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:31   #11528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
If anyone in Pune is thinking of getting a Galaxy Nexus, its available in Pimpri at 21200. Just got one today for a friend.
Wow, thats a sweet deal. Is the dealer offering warranty ?

Dealer details please.

Last edited by F150 : 22nd September 2012 at 23:32.
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:54   #11529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Wow, thats a sweet deal. Is the dealer offering warranty ?

Dealer details please.
Nope. You won't get device warranty anywhere in India for the Nexus. They will offer you dealer warranty which is basically software warranty which is no big deal.
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:00   #11530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun

Nope. You won't get device warranty anywhere in India for the Nexus. They will offer you dealer warranty which is basically software warranty which is no big deal.
But you can take warranty from www.servpro.com

This is the same 3rd party service provider with which an ebay seller has tied up and provides so called proper warranty for Nexus in his deals.
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:04   #11531
BHPian

Help requested from the resident Android sages!!

4 months back I bought a Samsung Galaxy Y to test the android world.

2 months back two small black spots - the size of pin heads appeared on the phone's screen. Day before yesterday the earpiece on the phone stopped functioning. The other party can be heard by activating the speakerphone option.

Promptly went to the Samsung service centre opposite Nehru Place in Delhi. The service center tech who attended to me said the phone was under warranty therefore I need not be concerned about the cost of repair. Then on an afterthought she took off the back cover and started fiddling around with a tweezer and said there is a hairline crack around the headphone jack and therefore the warranty is void. This inspite of the back cover being intact with no cracks or even marks on it

My questions to you are:-

[] Is the statement that there is a hairline crack and therefore the warranty is voided, a valid/reasonable reason on the basis of which to void the warranty? If this can be contested can anyone give any pointers to someone in Samsung senior enough to take up the matter with? Or I should simply trade the damn thing in and recoup whatever I can and avoid the aggravation?

[] Does this fault sound like a hardware fault or it could be software(OS) related?

[] Irrespective of the outcome of this fiasco I will have to acquire a new handset - which shall be an Android only and shall NOT be a Samsung. I have seen the mess at their service center and is reminiscent of Nokia in it's heydays. Read through the last 20 odd pages of this thread and came to the conclusion that Motorola Defy+ is a VFM option for the basic usage I intend like telephone calls, very limited texting and some GPS usage on occassion, limited camera use. The concern that has been voiced time and again is Motorola's presence in India. Is this a valid concern? I am also considering HTC Wildfire S and Sony Xperia U/Miro as alternates. Will appreciate input on how VFM they are thought to be by those who are clued in on these matters and how robust they are in terms of hardware/software quality. I am not willing to exceed a 15K odd spend on this.

[] An additional use I intend to put the phone to is to record the telephone calls I need to make to my stock broker. I am aware this is hardware independent and software dependent - am open to correction here. Is there any app that does this i.e. record telephone calls reliably, every option that I have tried till now has been practically worthless.

Any pointers/guidance will be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:21   #11532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL

4 months back I bought a Samsung Galaxy Y to test the android world.

2 months back two small black spots - the size of pin heads appeared on the phone's screen. Day before yesterday the earpiece on the phone stopped functioning. The other party can be heard by activating the speakerphone option.

Promptly went to the Samsung service centre opposite Nehru Place in Delhi. The service center tech who attended to me said the phone was under warranty therefore I need not be concerned about the cost of repair. Then on an afterthought she took off the back cover and started fiddling around with a tweezer and said there is a hairline crack around the headphone jack and therefore the warranty is void. This inspite of the back cover being intact with no cracks or even marks on it

My questions to you are:-

[] Is the statement that there is a hairline crack and therefore the warranty is voided, a valid/reasonable reason on the basis of which to void the warranty? If this can be contested can anyone give any pointers to someone in Samsung senior enough to take up the matter with? Or I should simply trade the damn thing in and recoup whatever I can and avoid the aggravation?

[] Does this fault sound like a hardware fault or it could be software(OS) related?

[] Irrespective of the outcome of this fiasco I will have to acquire a new handset - which shall be an Android only and shall NOT be a Samsung. I have seen the mess at their service center and is reminiscent of Nokia in it's heydays. Read through the last 20 odd pages of this thread and came to the conclusion that Motorola Defy+ is a VFM option for the basic usage I intend like telephone calls, very limited texting and some GPS usage on occassion, limited camera use. The concern that has been voiced time and again is Motorola's presence in India. Is this a valid concern? I am also considering HTC Wildfire S and Sony Xperia U/Miro as alternates. Will appreciate input on how VFM they are thought to be by those who are clued in on these matters and how robust they are in terms of hardware/software quality. I am not willing to exceed a 15K odd spend on this.

[] An additional use I intend to put the phone to is to record the telephone calls I need to make to my stock broker. I am aware this is hardware independent and software dependent - am open to correction here. Is there any app that does this i.e. record telephone calls reliably, every option that I have tried till now has been practically worthless.

Thanks in advance.
I have been using the xperia u for a couple of months now. I am pretty happy with the performance so far :-D. No lags or hanging whatsoever. The sound quality is miles ahead of my earlier Nokia. Absolute VFM I must say since I got it for 12 odd thousands from Homeshop18. GPS works pretty fine too. No problems regarding signal reception after the minor update by sony. 4 gb internal memory could be a setback for many but I have managed to use just over half of it with all the songs and apps that I have.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:24   #11533
BANNED

Is this the Nexus that you guys are talking about? If not, is this a good phone at this price?

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-goog...0-5fd9ed00553e
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:18   #11534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Is this the Nexus that you guys are talking about? If not, is this a good phone at this price?

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-goog...0-5fd9ed00553e
Err, in case you didn't notice my friend, 'This Item is permanently discontinued'. How do you intend to buy it off Flipkart?

The one we all keep discussing is Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250. That is not officially available in India.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd September 2012 at 23:19.
Old 24th September 2012, 00:19   #11535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post

Motorola service is going to be patchy in the coming months. Though I doubt you'll ever need to take your 'DEFY' to the service center, it is water & dust resistant already.

The Defy has a very matured Dev support in ROMs etc. and is a very durable, bang for the buck phone.If its durability you are after, then go for defy+/defy eyes closed.

Xperia U doesn't have MicroSD slot, but has a good cam, and a great GPU (Mali 400), which is miles ahead of SGX530 in gaming & Video.SE service is average, even in Delhi.

Xperia is great for the multimedia buff/gamer/video and photography.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks