Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 10:43   #8926
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Notice the different Toyota logo for the TSS equipped Fortuner available outside India
Attachment 2254677
The logo in both pics seem to be the same, just the grill colour is different, or am I missing something
kvsriki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:57   #8927
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

During my discussion with Tata Dealers, I was told by a little birdie that Tata is increasing the prices of Harrier and Safari by 50k for the 2022 models. It seems that the plant is presently closed for the 2 models and would start back by 15th Jan. So expect a super increase across the variant lineup.

PS: This is not a confirmed news, just a hearsay. Pls verify before dealing.
Old 6th January 2022, 11:15   #8928
BHPian

Fortuner is not an aspirational product for the common man. It is a niche product and has a very specific clientele. Most (not all) of the private owners of Fortuner are the ones who have a significant portion of their businesses running in cash. This car was never intended for the salary class folks. With the economic gap in our country ever-increasing between the rich and the poor, it is only predictable that the price range for Fortuner will go north to maintain its prominence in the market.

Just for the sake of an irrelevant comparison and leaving aside regional tax/subsidy etc, a Lexus RX in the USA starts from ~INR 35 lakhs as of today, which has a lot more technologies, goodies, and luxury factors. Comparing the value factor, a Lexus in the US is miles ahead. But then, the perception about the product and its owners is hugely different in both places. Fortuner in India follow the cult status of the Land Cruiser in the western world. The owners of Fortuner will be least bothered with the price increase irrespective of how much it is. Kudos to Toyota to curve out the segment completely for themselves and I doubt there will be ever any competition to them.

P.S.: I wish I could own a Fortuner.
meto is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:40   #8929
BHPian

Sure the Innova Crysta and Fortuner are a chunk of Toyota's bread & butter in India. Looks like they can now move to Sour Dough Bread and Echire Premium Butter

let me break it to you, this will barely dampen sales. At 55 OTR you don't get any other car of the kind and people WILL take the plunge to get what they want. Say if this was the C-Class going 10 Lakhs above competition it would've killed it, but nah, not for the Fortuner.

With the departure of the Endeavour, uncertainties around the Gloster, and the 5+2'ness and soft-road characteristics of the Kodiaq, it's only natural of Toyota to capitalise.

Same goes with the Innova, it's been untouched. Brands are coming up with stuff like the Alcazar, Carens and other "pseudo" 7 seaters with unusable 7 seats for astronomical prices that undercut the Crysta, a full fledged people mover.
Although I'm seriously waiting for XUV7OO deliveries to pick up the pace, it could be fatal to the Innova.

P.S- Does anyone have any idea of price revision for the MG ZS EV in 2022? Have booked mine in October and haven't been alloted a car yet, just wanted to know how much more to be prepped for.
Arnav612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:46   #8930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
During my discussion with Tata Dealers, I was told by a little birdie that Tata is increasing the prices of Harrier and Safari by 50k for the 2022 models. It seems that the plant is presently closed for the 2 models and would start back by 15th Jan. So expect a super increase across the variant lineup.

PS: This is not a confirmed news, just a hearsay. Pls verify before dealing.
Will there be a quality change too after restart of the plant ?
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:56   #8931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Will there be a quality change too after restart of the plant ?
It seems there will be no change in the features of the variants except for the price change. Quality is a subjective myth when it comes to Tata cars
Old 6th January 2022, 11:57   #8932
BHPian

Car price hike has always been there! I believe majority of us got cars between 2010 to 2014. Before majority of the gimmicky features starting to make way into entry level automobiles. I believe with each small feature added, more is the chance of failure points.
Celerio, a supposedly bare boned entry level hatch now features keyless entry and button start! As more features are added, more is the cost to go up. And with the current inflation and people still buying in huge volumes, all manufacturers are bound to increase their set price even if it doesn't require to be done so.
I'll give you small few examples
Maruti Celerio - The price of the highest variant is the price of current base variant
Audi A4 - Was discussing with a friend contemplating on buying a car within 40 L. I remember a neighbour of mine buy A4 for around 39L in 2015. That too it was the S Line. Now the same car on road is about 56L. That's about 33% rise!
Honda City - we purchased our car at 14.6L on road. The Highest variant for the face life was prices at about 16.4L.

Not sure on how this trend is going to end up. And what baffles me more is the how sales in such huge volumes is still going on! I remember, at about 10 years back, buying a car around 10-12 lakhs bracket was the norm. Now the same has gone to about 18-20 Lakhs.
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:32   #8933
BHPian

Mother of all price hikes

2013 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT- 25 lakhs on road
2022 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT- 50 lakhs on road

100% hike in 9 years! Can any car beat that?
achyutaghosh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:39   #8934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsriki View Post
The logo in both pics seem to be the same, just the grill colour is different, or am I missing something
Look closely at the Toyota's T and read a bit about the placement of radar on the front grille and you will get what @CEF_Beasts was saying.
AROO7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:40   #8935
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with the sentiments expressed here in general - car prices have indeed been going up like crazy. However, there are still value picks to be had in the entry and mid variants and also when one is able to time the puchase right:
  • Many in the forum were able to but the Audi A4 around September last year at sub-40 lakh on road prices for well loaded variants, the was a case of timing the purchase when the company was seperate to claw back market share and willing to throw in big discounts.
  • Many snagged the Tiguan Allspace,a fully imported CBU model with the latest powertrains and 3 rows of seats at low 30 lakhs on road lat year. This was a case of the manufacturer trying to sell out the stocks in prep for the new facelifted models and other priorities.
  • At the start of the Pandemic Hyundai launched the new Creta. A nicely loaded EX trim was available for 9.99 ex-showroom! That too with a delivery timeline is 2 weeks. Now the variant is much more expensive plus the wait times run to 5 months plus.
  • Most recently, the XUV 700 launched with excellent pricing across trims. Those who booked on the first day got 50K price advantage over others and the lower trims are incredible value.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 6th January 2022 at 12:42.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:50   #8936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Mother of all price hikes

2013 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT- 25 lakhs on road
2022 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT- 50 lakhs on road

100% hike in 9 years! Can any car beat that?
Isn't it just keeping up with the inflation? The current Fortuner 4x4 MT price is 46 L on road in my city. Inflation in India has been at 5-6 percent for the last decade. Considering the inflation at 6 pc, the current value of 25 lakhs in 2013 is 42-43 L. The on-road price is still very close to that. Even when it was launched, Fortuner was always just below entry-level big 3 germans. It still stays that way.

In 2015, Fortuner 4x4 AT was 32L on road Kerala. The current inflation-adjusted value of 32 L in 2015 at 6% rate is 48L. 2022 Fortuner 4x4 AT is 49L on road.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th January 2022 at 12:58.
padmrajravi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:51   #8937
BHPian

I believe it is left to our homegrown carmakers to take up the challenge to build comparable products to Toyota Innova and Fortuner at half the price. For them to make this happen, they will have to avoid being greedy and take advantage of low cost local production. A true Safari with 4x4 in place for approx. 25 lacs and a rationalised variant with respect to features of XUV 700 for about 15 lacs have the potential to do the trick IMHO, to give options to people in place of Fortuner and Innova respectively
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:07   #8938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
I believe it is left to our homegrown carmakers to take up the challenge to build comparable products to Toyota Innova and Fortuner at half the price. For them to make this happen, they will have to avoid being greedy and take advantage of low cost local production. A true Safari with 4x4 in place for approx. 25 lacs and a rationalised variant with respect to features of XUV 700 for about 15 lacs have the potential to do the trick IMHO, to give options to people in place of Fortuner and Innova respectively
Agreed.. and Mahindra and Tata are already taking steps in the right direction. Crazy price town right now.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:34   #8939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Isn't it just keeping up with the inflation?
Sure Padmarajravi, that is an incredible argument to rationalize Toyota price hikes provided-

1. Other companies have also kept up with inflation, which i doubt. Has any car's ex-showroom price increased by 15% over 1 year (Dec 20-Jan 22)? Fortuners' has- refer to cool dube's post on the test drive thread.

2. For the increase in price you get additional value in terms of features etc (which i doubt we have got in the Fortuner)

Now that the Endeavour is gone, Toyota is being plain opportunistic in the case of Fortuner i think.

BTW despite the rant, i own a 2021 Fortuner, so that's an indication of how the market look at these hikes. Basically no difference.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 6th January 2022 at 13:36.
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:58   #8940
BHPian

Crazy pricing and its only by chance Toyota is even able to get away with such absurd pricing - thanks to its user base. Its not that its a product that is worth a full 50 lacs to begin with. I will be open to admit that I am not a big fan of the Fortuner and to a certain extent Innova, mainly because of the arrogance most of their owners (read politicos) express while driving them. No offense to owners who drive them like they should be driven. But I am yet to see a sedately driven Innova or Fortuner on the highways. This portrayal of bragging rights is what is inspiring people in the similar league to buy these cars even at these steep prices so they can act like king of the roads!

Last edited by vjbox : 6th January 2022 at 14:01.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks