Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 01:01   #11611
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade the bulbs of my Zen Estilo 2008 & Tata Aria 2012. Apologies for the long read.

Background info / requirements for the Aria :
1. The Aria has a dual projector setup for low and high beams and the low beam especially needs upgrading.
2. I'd like to ideally purchase something from Aliexpress that doesn't conk off quickly but at the same time is cheap-ish
3. The color temperature should be yellow / halogen like

Questions :
1. As this is a projector setup, would HIDs be better? Or would LEDs be cheaper and more suited?
2. I also want to replace the fogs with HIDs or LEDs, again yellow color temperature
3. Lastly, I want to replace all parking, reading, tail lamp, puddle lamps, cabin lights, licence plate lights to LEDs. I've attached the bulb specs

Background info for the Estilo :
1. I have Philips extreme vision in both the headlamps (OEM was 12V, 60/55W H4 in reflector housing)
2. I also have Osram night breaker in fogs

The fogs are performing well but the head lamps could do with some improvement.

Requirements :
1. Cheap but good quality LEDs for the headlamps and fogs which don't involve cutting up the headlamp rubber seals. Again, yellow color temperature needed
2. I don't want HIDs for the Estilo as my past experience shows too much of scatter in reflectors (this is with Xenos brand HIDs with relays, one bulb stopped working after 1.5 years)

Please can experts share some Aliexpress /Amazon /Flipkart links?
I'm thinking of buying during the Black Friday sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot_20191126225604113_com.mobisystems.editor.office_registered.jpg  

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 27th November 2019 at 01:02.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:08   #11612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi all, I am looking to upgrade the bulbs of my Zen Estilo 2008 & Tata Aria 2012. Apologies for the long read.

Background info / requirements for the Aria :
1. The Aria has a dual projector setup for low and high beams and the low beam especially needs upgrading.
2. I'd like to ideally purchase something from Aliexpress that doesn't conk off quickly but at the same time is cheap-ish
3. The color temperature should be yellow / halogen like

Questions :
1. As this is a projector setup, would HIDs be better? Or would LEDs be cheaper and more suited?
2. I also want to replace the fogs with HIDs or LEDs, again yellow color temperature
3. Lastly, I want to replace all parking, reading, tail lamp, puddle lamps, cabin lights, licence plate lights to LEDs. I've attached the bulb specs

Background info for the Estilo :
1. I have Philips extreme vision in both the headlamps (OEM was 12V, 60/55W H4 in reflector housing)
2. I also have Osram night breaker in fogs

The fogs are performing well but the head lamps could do with some improvement.

Requirements :
1. Cheap but good quality LEDs for the headlamps and fogs which don't involve cutting up the headlamp rubber seals. Again, yellow color temperature needed
2. I don't want HIDs for the Estilo as my past experience shows too much of scatter in reflectors (this is with Xenos brand HIDs with relays, one bulb stopped working after 1.5 years)

Please can experts share some Aliexpress /Amazon /Flipkart links?
I'm thinking of buying during the Black Friday sale.

Cheap and good quality do not combine well.

Halogen bulbs are around 3500K color temperature. It is not possible to get a LED at that temperature. You do get 3000k LED's but those would be Yellow.

I would recommend the below bulbs for your Aria. They have slight yellow tinge and are very bright with hot spot in the middle. They do not have a seperate driver module ,so it is easy to fit them inside the covered bulb area.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...yg_494568265.0

For converting other lamps to LED's go for bulbs from CNSunnyLight brand on Aliexpress. They are good and do the job well.

PS: Do not change the indicator bulbs to LED's.Will result in rapid flashing .You need to change the flasher relay or add a resistor in series with the bulb. Not worth the effort for the result

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 27th November 2019 at 09:25.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 12:02   #11613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks Sagar. Do I go for 2 sets of these, for both the low and high beams? Or keep the high beams halogen?

Also, do you recommend these in the fogs as well?
Old 27th November 2019, 12:15   #11614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sagar. Do I go for 2 sets of these, for both the low and high beams? Or keep the high beams halogen?

I would suggest you order these for fogs and low beam and use it. If you are happy with the performance then order for high beam.

BTW, does the headlamp assembly of Aria have wiring for the bulbs inside the assembly or outside?
Old 27th November 2019, 12:15   #11615
BANNED

Quote:
Do I go for 2 sets of these, for both the low and high beams? Or keep the high beams halogen?

IMHO upgrade the low beam to LED and leave the high beams as halogens. I know the colour mismatch will look bad but I feel high beam is best left yellow (read colour temperature).

You can upgrade the fog lights too. I have been thinking on the same from long time to switch from halogens to LED's but not finding it worthy as the Morimoto HID's on my car are more than enough.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 17:30   #11616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No relay needed as long as it's 60/55 (You will encounter many who would tell you that stock wiring can run 100/90 as well, just don't do that). XV 60/55 is plug and play. I'm just not sure about how to remove the bulb on a VW.

I have had to replace bulbs during outstation trips at least five times in so many years even after changing these things fairly regularly , I'd be in considerable worry if I cannot do that myself!
Is the RacingVision comparable to the XtremeVision? It's costlier, but halogen as well. Both look good enough, judging from YouTube videos and Amazon pics, both are 60/55W, but which one is actually better in terms of actual use (highbeam, lowbeam), life period, etc? And , but which horn would you recommend for the typical Skoda type *Paap Paap*? Bosch Symphony or Minda Trumpet or Roots Windtone? Thanks!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:15   #11617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Is the RacingVision comparable to the XtremeVision? It's costlier, but halogen as well. Both look good enough, judging from YouTube videos and Amazon pics, both are 60/55W, but which one is actually better in terms of actual use (highbeam, lowbeam), life period, etc? And , but which horn would you recommend for the typical Skoda type *Paap Paap*? Bosch Symphony or Minda Trumpet or Roots Windtone? Thanks!
The lumens rating on Philips website is about the same for both, I'm not sure if there is any specific advantage . The beam pattern will change a bit, low beam will not be as wide, high beam goes a lot further. Usually these expensive ones tend to last less than normal ones, in my experience with them.

Horn depends on your usage, if more of city then get the Skoda type horn from Bosch and keep it away from water splashes (this is important), they sound very nice and suits the vehicle.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:20   #11618
Senior - BHPian

Recently changed the headlights of my Santro Xing to Sparco 100/90 whilte light 6000K. The bulb pair cost me Rs 1000. Brightness looks to be good.
Old 28th November 2019, 10:24   #11619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Recently changed the headlights of my Santro Xing to Sparco 100/90 whilte light 6000K. The bulb pair cost me Rs 1000. Brightness looks to be good.
I hope you've already got the relays for it. I found the Santro headlights to be much better than those of Wagon R. We had 2 Xings with us over a period of time, never had any issue regarding the illumination or throw of headlights.
Old 28th November 2019, 10:34   #11620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I hope you've already got the relays for it. I found the Santro headlights to be much better than those of Wagon R. We had 2 Xings with us over a period of time, never had any issue regarding the illumination or throw of headlights.
I changed the headlights from 60/55 to 100/90 9 years back. Mine is already relay fitted. This time low beam of one of the headlights conked. So thought of changing both the bulbs to a more brightness one.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:37   #11621
Senior - BHPian

Why there aren't any Solar auxiliary lights for Car? Is it because they get enough charge time? I have seen good one's for garden and they are pretty bright. They are not very expensive either.
Old 28th November 2019, 21:15   #11622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I would suggest you order these for fogs and low beam and use it. If you are happy with the performance then order for high beam.

BTW, does the headlamp assembly of Aria have wiring for the bulbs inside the assembly or outside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMHO upgrade the low beam to LED and leave the high beams as halogens. I know the colour mismatch will look bad but I feel high beam is best left yellow (read colour temperature).

You can upgrade the fog lights too. I have been thinking on the same from long time to switch from halogens to LED's but not finding it worthy as the Morimoto HID's on my car are more than enough.
Thanks gents. I had a look at Aliexpress and the variety of LEDs (all fanless) at various price levels in just the CNSunny store left me thoroughly confused. To be honest I was kinda looking for yellow color temperature having had very bad experience with the scatter of white HIDs.

@Sagar any chance you could recommend a yellow color temperature LED for the low beam and the fogs please? Also, I've not got the faintest clue about the wiring harness. I will need to check it in the morning.
Old 29th November 2019, 07:19   #11623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Sagar any chance you could recommend a yellow color temperature LED for the low beam and the fogs please? .

I will not recommend since its too yellow for regular driving
Old 9th December 2019, 17:23   #11624

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I have installed this to my Safari Storm. (jugad fit)

Its a high beam module.. works great.

But use a relay/wiring kit for it.
It was a pleasant surprise to come across your post! Very few posts on actual usage of these hella 60s.

I’ve procured the same hella 60 mm modules for use as auxiliary lights on my polo and plan to use osram dhb3 35w hid kit with them. It’d help me if you clarify some points

Which relay kit did you use: h4( modified accordingly) or custom? I assume you used an external aftermarket switch?

The same 60mm LOW beam modules have a neat cutoff and seemingly longer throw: any particular reason you used the high beam modules?

Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:05   #11625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For the first Generation Ciaz that came equipped with Halogen bulbs with Projectors, I had successfully upgraded the headlights of one of my friend's car to HID with a conversion Kit from Osram.
Installed OSRAM HID conversion for Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza:

The experience from the Ciaz installation was excellent for the money spent. It was no brainer that for Brezza too, which runs on the same set-up for low beams, this would be a sensible upgrade without a fuss. Did that for a friend this morning and here are some work in progress pics along with the final output.

a. Drill bit for making a hole on the dust cap

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-01-bit.jpg

b. Brezza's dust cap are of rubber unlike Ciaz that uses plastic

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-02-dust-cap-before.jpg

c. Drilling in progress

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-03-dust-cap-hole.jpg

d. Both the dust caps ready to pass the couplers through them

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-04-dust-cap-after.jpg

e. After passing the couplers, and securing the hole with Orsam provided caps

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-05-cables-through-dust-cap.jpg

f. Ensures no dust or moisture enters through this set-up

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-06-cables-through-both-dust-caps.jpg

g. Harness ready for installation (simple plug and play)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-07-complete-harness.jpg

h. Right hand side

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-08-rhs-hid.jpg

i. Left hand side

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-09-rhs-hid.jpg

j. The OE coupler from each bulb is pulled used to power up the harness

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10-power-connection.jpg

k. Beam when looked from front

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-12-beam-front-2.jpg

l. Another one from the front

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-11-beam-front.jpg

m. When it lights up the near dark path

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-12-beam-path.jpg

n. Cut-off when parked in front of the wall

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-13-beam-cut-off.jpg

Note: Before connecting the couplers to make the harness, ensure that for Brezza you need to first pass the couplers through the spring/clip that secures the bulb due to a design reason.

While in the Ciaz the securing spring for the bulb had a design such that one could place the HID bulb and then lock (more like a C and open on one side), it was not the case with the Brezza's spring (more like U and closed from all sides). The design ensured that we had to first pass the couples and wires through this spring first and then place the bulb and lock it in place.

The below image from the owner's manual gives you an idea on what I am referring to. I could have tried to remove the spring, place the bulb and then fix the spring back and lock it but knowing that any effort to twist or pull that may have damaged the delicate location on the headlamp unit or even broken the spring as well. So it was a wise decision to pass through the couplers first and then place the HID bulb and lock it.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bulb-securing-spring.jpg

Product link: Osram HID conversion Kit

Before I forget, even though this was Amazon fulfilled order, the contents in the box had missing brackets to fix the ballasts. It was revealed only when I checked the box when my friend arrived. Hence, we secured these ballasts with Nylon zip ties in the engine bay area leveraging many of those unused holes around here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th December 2019 at 18:27.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks