Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 13:25   #7456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by automowheels View Post
Thanks for all your perspectives! I do realise that there are two major sides to this debate-
  • Go for petrol- no diesel side effects like DEF & DPF, but be prepared to pay more in fuel bills.
  • Go for diesel- be prepared for DPF issues if runs are limited, and slightly higher maintenance. Flipside- cheaper fuell bills.

My only gripe with going for petrol because of limited runs is that it will limit by ability to travel longer distances for outstation trips due to exorbitant fuel bills. But then I also do not want to be inconvenienced with any DPF or DEF related issues and regret my decision either. If I go for diesel, I better keep that engine revving and happy- that's the way I look at it. Taking a TD of the petrol in 2 days, hopefully that helps in making a wise decision in my context.
Remember one thing. Higher fuel bill will pinch on occasional long trips but the inconvenience of DEF/DPF issue and uncertainty over NGT type ban on diesel vehicles will always linger. If yearly running is not much, net net you won't feel so much pinch on fuel bills.

When buying a vehicle of this size and price point, time to stop worrying about fuel bills and start enjoying the drives

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 7th December 2022 at 13:27.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:10   #7457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
With your annual usage, Petrol is the best fuel option.
I am just wondering, if this usage justify an investment of >20 LAKH on a depreciating assets which will only add to the cost in future.

Although i am not sure about his usage pattern on these 4000 Odd Kms in a year, But why not Just rent an Innova?
Old 7th December 2022, 14:22   #7458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I am just wondering, if this usage justify an investment of >20 LAKH on a depreciating assets which will only add to the cost in future.

Although i am not sure about his usage pattern on these 4000 Odd Kms in a year, But why not Just rent an Innova?
Since it is me who you are talking about- yes, it will cost me 30 lakh to just purchase the car and also my usage is limited. That is because I work from home completely and have no daily use in the city. I do however intend to take it on road trip every few months. While doing that, I want to drive a vehicle that gives me driving pleasure, and I do not want to be chauffeur-driven. Yes, what I just said makes no sense economically, but, perhaps, I am sorted out financially and am willing to make this (perceived) financially illogical purchase?
automowheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:36   #7459
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorted out financially and am willing to make this (perceived) financially illogical purchase?
Thanks.

If economics are sorted then you should for sure listen to your heart and enjoy every bit of driving. All the best for your purchase and please do update the thread with the lovely picture of your ride.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:04   #7460
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all your perspectives! I do realise that there are two major sides to this debate-
  • Go for petrol- no diesel side effects like DEF & DPF, but be prepared to pay more in fuel bills.
  • Go for diesel- be prepared for DPF issues if runs are limited, and slightly higher maintenance. Flipside- cheaper fuell bills.

My only gripe with going for petrol because of limited runs is that it will limit by ability to travel longer distances for outstation trips due to exorbitant fuel bills. But then I also do not want to be inconvenienced with any DPF or DEF related issues and regret my decision either. If I go for diesel, I better keep that engine revving and happy- that's the way I look at it. Taking a TD of the petrol in 2 days, hopefully that helps in making a wise decision in my context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post

I am in the same boat as well, with 350 kms monthly and have booked a Diesel. Have been a Honda Petrol owner for 10+ years. Mostly city driving, occasional highways.

My reasoning as follows:
1. Hate to have running fuel bill burn my pockets. I don't expect Honda efficiency level with XUV petrol efficiency.
2. Even with fuel gap in pricing is likely to reduce with petrol, it still makes economic sense, since the efficiencies with Diesel is likely to be higher.
3. In the city (Bangalore), with bad traffic and lack or parking on office hours, self driving is no pleasure. My preferred mode is a Uber or a shared ride, rather than my own Petrol/Hybrid/Diesel vehicle.
4. Occasionally I do like to do 1000km+ trips, where I do want to enjoy the drive. DEF Issues, as I understand & written by experts, is that DEF issues mostly happens with overloaded commercial vehicles, and impacts smaller engines of 1.5L or less. It is also sorted in Tata, M&M Diesel engines. But here I am not aware of ground realities. Like I said, I have never owned Diesel engines before.
5. NGT type nationwide Diesel bans are possibly remote, given commercial vehicles/taxis will continue to run on Diesel. Even the Innova Crysta is coming back with Diesel.
6. Running costs of Diesel may be higher though, difficult to estimate as it depends on care the vehicle receives.

Hope this helps.
mk600 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:09   #7461
BHPian

Quote:
That's not a typo, unfortunately. Could you elaborate why? I've never had a diesel before and did some math that indicated I could break even in 5-6 years even with this usage, unless I'm missing something. I plan to keep the car for 10 years.
There are plenty of analyses on the internet comparing petrol and diesel usage, and which makes more sense for what usage. A crude rule of thumb is that you'd need to drive at least 10,000 KMs per year for diesel to make more sense. But while it's just a crude rule of thumb, it's way past the margin of error for your usage and will absolutely apply to you.

If money is no object and you just want to enjoy a diesel engine for more torque, well, it becomes an emotional decision and none of us can make that for you.
Old 7th December 2022, 15:55   #7462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
DEF Issues, as I understand & written by experts, is that DEF issues mostly happens with overloaded commercial vehicles, and impacts smaller engines of 1.5L or less. It is also sorted in Tata, M&M Diesel engines.
This is such valuable piece of information from an expert, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Persona View Post
A crude rule of thumb is that you'd need to drive at least 10,000 KMs per year for diesel to make more sense. But while it's just a crude rule of thumb, it's way past the margin of error for your usage and will absolutely apply to you.

If money is no object and you just want to enjoy a diesel engine for more torque, well, it becomes an emotional decision and none of us can make that for you.
Power & torque figures for both petrol & diesel engines of the 700 are pretty comparable, and that is not at all a concern. On-road Bangalore, purchase price for the car too is very comparable, there's only a 2.7% difference. With all these similar, the only variables are fuel economy & fuel price per litre, both of which are significantly better in diesel. That said, it should be a no-brainer to go for a diesel right? Yes, but what holds me back is just the DPF stuff, the answer to some of that I got in the thread above, and long term service cost. Sorry if this decision making is getting too complicated, it appears I'm taking everyone on this ride with me.
automowheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:07   #7463
BHPian

Quote:
On-road Bangalore, purchase price for the car too is very comparable, there's only a 2.7% difference.
2.7% difference in raw numbers is significant. It could pay for 3-4 years of your fuel expenses, at least.
Old 7th December 2022, 16:52   #7464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Persona View Post
2.7% difference in raw numbers is significant. It could pay for 3-4 years of your fuel expenses, at least.
2.7%= Rs. 80,000. The amount I can recover by using a diesel in 4-5 years time (provided service costs remain the same + I have already accounted for DEF). Since I intend to keep the car for 10 years, I'm hoping I can save some more over the next 5 years of my ownership. Again, it's not even the long term benefit that is pulling me towards the diesel, it's the recurring fuel bill shock that I want to avoid vis-a-vis a petrol. But then again, as someone pointed out, when you spend big money for such a car, you might as well also forget about high fuel bills.
Old 7th December 2022, 17:08   #7465

Hi everyone,

Post #1

After a long wait, we finally got our XUV700 AX7L Diesel Automatic All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Midnight Black. Booking was done on 8th Oct 21 and we got it on 18th July 22. We always wanted a fully-loaded vehicle, and secondly, an SUV should have AWD or 4WD. We are a family of 4 (3 adults and a kid) plus a Labrador. With the kids growing, our old Baleno was unable to accommodate us all on our trips.

Some accessories & other basic things I added to my car:
  • 4th and 5th year extended warranty just before the price hike was done.
  • Rear Bumper, Illuminated Scuff plate, Side step, Pedal Covers, Screen Protector.
  • PPF from Kriti Car Care Bengaluru.
  • AWD logo, Car Ceiling Dome Roof Light for 3rd row, Puncture Kit & Car Tire Inflator (from Amazon).
  • 12V cable extender (from Maruti Suzuki Store).
  • Upgraded the 5th tire to an actual size Yokohama.

Delivery Experience
  • The experience was positive throughout the process. I got constant updates from the sales team at Sireesh Auto Yelahanka.
  • I got to do my PDI and on that day ODO was 33km.
  • I received my car 4 days after it was received with all paperwork completed by the team.
  • No rear sequential lights.
  • No 2nd key was received.

Trips till date
  • Our 1st Long Trip - (Bengaluru to Hyderabad) - 1400 km round trip
  • Our 2nd Long Trip - (Bengaluru to Rourkela to Hazaribagh) - 4400 km round trip

While I would write about this trip in a separate post, a few things I would like to highlight about the car (some might be repeats from earlier posts) in this forum:

Goods
  • Barring the infotainment screen glitches, the mechanics of the car are simply superb.
  • Feature-wise, this car seems to have everything.
  • AdrenoX App - VI connectivity is a problem otherwise, the remote start option is my favorite used feature.
  • WithYouHamesha App - As I had been using the AdrenoX app, I found out about the fuel log a bit late. It has a handy feature that shows the cost per km.
  • I had driven max 150-180 km at a stretch in my Baleno but now I have done 350-400 km at stretch including bad weather and road.
  • The steering is so light that I don’t like to drive my Baleno now.

Bads
  • The service angle of the car and the expertise of the service center were below expectations. A lot of scope for improvement is there.
  • Without roof rails, traveling with 7 people’s luggage is difficult.
  • The white interior is difficult to maintain.
  • The gap between the folded 3rd row and 2nd row.
  • Applecare Play has frequent disconnection issues.
  • The suspension thud sound is there but it is a tad erratic.
  • The scuff plate and 5th tire could have been taken back by the service center. There should be some mechanism to sell it as refurbished.
  • The car gets heated easily with glass all around and some heat protection should have been given

Car Specific Problem
  • There is a sound coming from somewhere between the 3rd row and the 2nd row as if two panels are rubbing against each other. This happens when I cross a hump. However, since I do not want the service guys to open things and check them, I have not highlighted them yet. Maybe I will get it checked in my 10k service.
  • Need to figure out 5th tire tpms, which I got fitted but configuration was not done by MASC

Current Mileage
  • Tank full to tank full method (T2T) I get about 10 km/l with 70% Bengaluru City Traffic + 30% Highway.
  • On my 2 long trips, I got about 15km/l avg with family and luggage. I am a little heavy-footed driver.
  • I keep all safety and ADAS features ON.

Total KM drove - 8391
Cheers
BendO_Rookie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 17:24   #7466
BHPian

Quote:
2.7%= Rs. 80,000. The amount I can recover by using a diesel in 4-5 years time (provided service costs remain the same + I have already accounted for DEF).
You're not really accounting for opportunity cost of that 80,000 differential, which if invested can make you more money over the next 5 years.

Not to mention the resale value implications, particularly in an unknown future where you might not be able to use a diesel car past 10 years in metroes.

Diesel engines have gotten better at it over the years, but you still tend to run into more repairs if you only use them intermittently as your predicted usage would suggest. Petrol cars are more hassle-free in that regard, and any potential repairs will also be cheaper.

Just don't think a diesel car makes sense for 3500-4000 KMs of usage, and I've tried to outline why that is. Not sure I can add anything more to this discussion.
Safari Persona is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 08:16   #7467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Any chance of Mahindra introducing the AX7 Luxury pack for the Petrol Manual transmission?

Specifically looking speakers, knee airbag and telescopic steering from the Luxury pack.
I wonder why this skipped this variant.
And an AWD petrol manual too..
Old 9th December 2022, 09:23   #7468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2.7%= Rs. 80,000. The amount I can recover by using a diesel in 4-5 years time (provided service costs remain the same + I have already accounted for DEF). Since I intend to keep the car for 10 years, I'm hoping I can save some more over the next 5 years of my ownership. Again, it's not even the long term benefit that is pulling me towards the diesel, it's the recurring fuel bill shock that I want to avoid vis-a-vis a petrol. But then again, as someone pointed out, when you spend big money for such a car, you might as well also forget about high fuel bills.
Diesel engines do not like to sit in the garage, they need to run and then need to run for longer and faster if they are to stay healthy over the years.

Besides , mStallion + Aisin is a joy to drive.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 17:01   #7469
Senior - BHPian

Noticed this on old madras road just now. I have no doubt this is XUV700 but wondering why is it under camo ? Could this be the electric version ?

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuvscoop.jpg

I could not get the front shot because I had to turn towards my home direction. The sticker read D185 or something I am not mistaken

Off topic : That Brezza facelift is a proof that this is latest pic

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th December 2022 at 17:05.
rajshenoy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 18:57   #7470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Noticed this on old madras road just now. I have no doubt this is XUV700 but wondering why is it under camo ? Could this be the electric version ?
I hope its an hybrid !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks