Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 07:08   #10366
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Guys, Planning to by Moto G 16GB from flipkart. Can see only positive reviews everywhere. Is there anything I should be wary of Moto G?

Go ahead and buy it, it's a great device! I've been using it for a couple of weeks now without any issues!

About the various complaints you see online, well it might just be bad luck that some people get a defective piece. And Flipkart does have a 30 day replacement guarantee, so you can rest easy.

Only one thing to be wary about is a small bug regarding the battery. DO NOT let the battery completely discharge and allow the phone to switch off by itself - it won't turn on again easily.

Moto has acknowledged this issue and they are already working on an update to fix it - will probably be released along with the 4.4.3 update.
Old 30th March 2014, 23:55   #10367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Agree with you, though i like to change my handsets frequently but don't see any point in investing huge sum of money in so called high end smart phone.

Presently using Vodafone 3G and it is a major battery drainer , i wonder once 4G/LTE becomes common what will happen to battery life.

Now a days i toggle to 2G for a brief period to get the best out of battery and 3G comes for a short period only when its needed the most.
i'm in the US and i do use LTE (i'm on Verizon, who has nationwide LTE) and honestly the battery life isn't bad. A lot of it has to do with what phone you have and the tower infrastructure. Yeah if you use the internet and data a lot, the battery life will fall like a rock, but that's to be expected. Yeah 3G is a horrible battery drainer and i've noticed this whenever my phone falls back on 3G when it cant get LTE.
Old 1st April 2014, 23:17   #10368
Senior - BHPian

Finally settled on a brand new iPhone 4s 8GB. I was looking for a second phone to replace my official blackberry and had short listed Moto G and the Lumia 525, but somehow wasn't convinced with the both of them. My past experience with an android Sony was nothing short of frustrating and reports of minor issues in the Moto G after the kitkat update meant that that this was a strict no for me, since the last thing I wanted was to be constantly visiting a Motorola service centre some 20 kms away or calling flipkart 10 times in a day. I know the phone is really good etc, but there have been sufficient reports of issues that made me stay away. That left with me just the lumia 525, it was quite good, but I wasn't entirely convinced with windows OS. I also found that the stock keyboard wasn't great to use. Then I chanced up on this buy back offer for iPhone 4s 8GB. It worked out to be 26.5k after the offer, which was a good deal. But the problem was I already had an iPhone 5 for my personal use, so why another one? But why not, I thought to myself.. I needed a phone that worked well with IBM notes, very reliable, and hassle free. I always found the iPhone easy to use and hardly faced any issues with my iPhone 5 in the last 1.5 years. And the offer was very tempting, and Apple lured me further with a 9 month interest free emi, for which they were funding the processing fees. So I thought about it, went ahead and bought one!
Stupid may as it sound, I'm holding on to 2 iPhones right now, but I'm sure they are worth it and will ensure I have a trouble free experience.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:29   #10369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
You may want to consider the Nexus 5. It should be available in the 25-30k zone. I've been using the Nexus 4 for the past year and am pretty happy with its battery life.

If your storage requirements are higher you may look elsewhere as Nexus dont support external SD card.
I have followed your advice and have got Nexus 5 16 GB for 27k on ebay summer special deals. The seller was fantastic and delivered the item almost in 24 hours.
Flipkart and amazon be dammed
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:45   #10370
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

Android or Windows Phone (I am fine with either of them)
Use Whats App
Good camera - Rear and Front camera for Video calling (Skype)
Access official emails
Single SIM or Dual SIM
Good battery back up
Budget - 10 to 15 K Max

I am looking at considering Nokia Lumia 720 around 16K on Flipkart. It is Single Sim, Good Rear Camera of 6.7 Megapixels, Front Camera for video calling (Skype), Microsoft push mail and the added advantage of Nokia Here drive (Voice guided navigation system).

Accessing & responding to emails with ease, Good camera for Skype calls & battery back up are my top priorities.
Guys, Any more options. Still waiting for replies .
Old 4th April 2014, 20:29   #10371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Guys, Any more options. Still waiting for replies .
Dont have much experience with Nokia so cant say anything.

If there was only one exception from your requirements which is Good Camera, then Moto G might be the right choice. Moto G has 5 MP camera.
I have got a Moto g for a friend, which is running perfect and a Moto X for my family member( only reason to choose this was Moto X has a 10 MP camera and would 24k on flipkart)

Samsung Galaxy Grand is also an option that you can look for.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 21:04   #10372
Senior - BHPian

Guys anyone tried Gionee Gpad G4 or Elife E6. I m planning to get one but they are not available around and online sellers are not willing to ship it here.
Old 6th April 2014, 10:15   #10373
BHPian

Guys, Thanks for helping me out to finalize on the Moto G 16GB . Now, I have another question. There is no USB data cable in the box. How are you guys managing the data transfer from PC to phone?
Old 6th April 2014, 11:26   #10374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Thanks for helping me out to finalize on the Moto G 16GB . Now, I have another question. There is no USB data cable in the box. How are you guys managing the data transfer from PC to phone?
Moto-G is sold at a cost. We're expected to be upgrading from another smartphone, so there's no USB cable and headset provided in the box. My wife is using the cable she got with the Xperia Tipo that she had before.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:31   #10375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Moto-G is sold at a cost. We're expected to be upgrading from another smartphone, so there's no USB cable and headset provided in the box. My wife is using the cable she got with the Xperia Tipo that she had before.

Thanks for the confirmation. But mine had the headset in the box.
Old 6th April 2014, 14:38   #10376
BHPian

Quote:
Yes there is no USB cable. However I had got earphones in the box. If you haven't got, you need to raise a compliant. But earphones which I got are not at all of good SQ.
Old 6th April 2014, 18:21   #10377
BANNED

With Windows going gratis expect a rash of releases, esp from the low cost brigade.
Old 6th April 2014, 22:27   #10378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Actually, the Indian Moto G (XT 1033) comes with a pair of headphones and a charger in the box, but there's no USB cable.

Meanwhile. the single SIM international variant (XT 1032) only has a USB cable in the box - no charger, no headphones.

Perhaps your better half has got the single SIM variant?

Quote:

You can use any USB cable to transfer data between your phone and PC, it'll work. I am using my old HTC's USB cable without any problems.

Alternatively, you can transfer files to/from your PC over WiFi, by setting up the phone as a file server. Works well!!
Old 7th April 2014, 00:05   #10379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Actually, the Indian Moto G (XT 1033) comes with a pair of headphones and a charger in the box, but there's no USB cable.

Meanwhile. the single SIM international variant (XT 1032) only has a USB cable in the box - no charger, no headphones.

Perhaps your better half has got the single SIM variant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yes there is no USB cable. However I had got earphones in the box. If you haven't got, you need to raise a compliant. But earphones which I got are not at all of good SQ.
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. But mine had the headset in the box.
Mea culpa. The Nexus came without a headset, and the Moto-G came without a USB cable, and I mixed both My better half has the XT1033 (dual sim) version itself. It had the charger and headset in the box. Motorola/Google did a fine job of providing probably one of the cheapest headsets along with the phone. Like chikku mentioned, the SQ is far from good
Old 7th April 2014, 06:51   #10380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Finally settled on a brand new iPhone 4s 8GB.
That's an excellent decision man.

IN OUR notes installation, we can't forward emails with attachments on Windows phones. That was my deal breaker!

That's something few realize upfront.

I didn't go for the 4s myself because at that time I didn't know that the os 7.1 will fix all the lag issues!

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2014 at 13:23. Reason: Quoting only the relevant part, thanks :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks