Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 14:10   #2491
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
One guy from Kerala Dr. Praveen Thappily did this DIY for his nexon.
He developed a circuit using an Internet of Things (IOT) module. Connected two relays to that module (for up and down movement). Then developed a web server (so we can access remotely using internet). Connected google assistant (ok google) and web server. So server can switch on/off relays according to voice commands.
Great!

One can also use a cheap general purpose gadget for controlling various electrical appliances.

(Edit: Removing my FB URL and adding a couple of pictures instead)

This gadget uses ESP32 IoT board with in-built WiFi Access point and a set of relays (this original prototype has 4 channel relay, for controlling my AV systems. I have 6 channel and 8 channel relay boards, a 230VAC-5VDC miniature supply board not shown in picture above for use in wall switch boards). This device can be configured with or without use of Internet (I prefer standalone, without Internet for consistent response time in any terrain or location). Cost of parts with ESP32, 4 channel relay board and 12v to 5V buck converter (i.e. without enclosure and sockets) was about Rs. 450. The industrial version (capable to work from -60 to +125 Degree celsius) I will cost a bit more.

Can also be deployed in a car to control accessories or systems of the car too, or even open or close garage using mobile phone or web browser.

However, for use in vehicle, I am worried that this may be considered as unauthorised modification and can void the car warranty/extended warranty by the manufacturer. Insurance companies can also reject any claims (just in case if any) claiming illegal modifications and RTO can have objections.

Tata Nexon : Official Review-esp1.jpg

Tata Nexon : Official Review-esp2.jpg

The above picture shows my electrical switch board v1 based on single core ESP8266 chip (ESP12E module). The modified version v2 has successor ESP32, faster processor, has more GPIO pins, on-chip Bluetooth, built in hall and temperature sensors and more.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th August 2019 at 16:16. Reason: added text below the pictures as requested
Pulse500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 14:13   #2492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajparikh View Post
Considering Nexon's water wading capacity had not been mentioned anywhere across, I had sent a query to TataMotors on the same. And I am quite surprised to see the number, which is officially confirmed by TataMotors. It seems Nexon has a water wading capacity of just 300mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This comes as shock to me. As Bangalore's underpasses are fully submerged during rains. Why is the wading capacity so low? Should have benchmarked EcoSport on this aspect.
Indeed that comes as a surprise. I wonder what they are measuring. Because I'm quite certain that I have waded multiple times in similar underpasses in Pune-Hinjawadi etc over last 2 weeks. In fact once even in the Alto with water above the level of doors .
Mind you there are discussions on the EcoSport thread about parts around the oil sump and protective covers getting torn off and falling apart after in-city water wading. (No trouble to engine reported. So more of an issue of ground clearance rather than wading depth of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
One question,

Is there any audio quality difference between two variant of Nexon Infotainment, one with screen and another without screen.?
There are differences like lower variant does not get screen and tweeters. Apart from this, is there any others difference between speakers and audio processing unit?
I have been in the cabin of an XM multiple times. I don't know the specifications of the speakers / APU. But barring the lack of tweeters - the sound was same as I get in my car. Didn't feel any difference in quality. Was perfect.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th August 2019 at 14:15.
Old 16th August 2019, 17:30   #2493
BHPian

Guys, Nexon facelift 2020 may discontinue the 1.5L diesel mill. Should this discourage the prospective buyers of NexonD ?
Old 16th August 2019, 17:49   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr1ngleo View Post
Guys, Nexon facelift 2020 may discontinue the 1.5L diesel mill. Should this discourage the prospective buyers of NexonD ?
Is this official? What is your source?
My service center guy was telling me that the engine will be upgraded to BS VI
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 18:45   #2495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the source of this information? Tata had very openly mentioned that they'll be upgrading the 1.5 engine to BS6 & it will be suicidal if they don't considering MSIL, M&M, Honda, Hyundai all are going to do so.

I don't see any truth value in this news for now. And in the remotest possibility where it was true - it should encourage buyers of Nexon D right now. Its a gem of an engine to drive. Run for it.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 22:03   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Whats the source of this information?
https://gaadiwaadi.com/2020-tata-nex...5-changes/amp/
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 22:07   #2497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mate, you should use gaadiwaadi etc websites for humour and satire .
Don't ever believe the speculations there. The engine may get discontinued too, but no way gaadiwaadi knows about that right now.

Just posting 1 2 pages every other day so that they get hits and ads. Thats about it.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 08:08   #2498
Senior - BHPian

The Nexon Diesel engine outscores the competition. Be it its frugal nature or thump when you need it, it covers the wide spectrum of my requirements. I can bet that this gem will not go away, (just updated to BS6). I was surprised that they did not scale up this marvel for the Harrier! When I purchased the Nexon, 2 years back (well...just a month short of 2 years) I had asked the dealership and had probed the Company even on their claim that Nexon was 'BS6 ready'? I was informed that the Nexon's emissions can be easily brought 'up to date' with the addition of a component in the exhaust system. Few changes like these could cost Rs. 50,000 altogether - 'But is unnecessary', I was told. 'It can handle BS6 fuel'. Not sure if injector level changes will be made at this cost, as those are expensive. Eagerly awaiting to see the BS6 Nexon!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_4625.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 17th August 2019 at 08:22.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 10:30   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
In my Tigor the problem has subsided to a great extent now. Its done 6k kms and the burning smell has definitly reduced compared to what it was when new.
(what better to expect from TATA A.S.S. :-( ), and asked me to keep putting more miles and it will vanish (they were correct on this part it seems ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Whatever needs to burn will burn and when there is nothing to burn, the smell will disappear seems to be their stance

Tigor now has 17K km on the clock and the issue is still there!!! Even after searching in multiple threads (no specific thread is there for general niggles) I can't seem to get any answer on this!

To make things worse, I have had multiple visits to the A.S.S and they did sincerely try to sort it our, yet it is as bad as it was on day one. Overall car is very good for requirements, but this is just driving me crazy as the car is mostly used on the highways.

Taking my car again next week to give Tata one more chance.

Ironically their diagnostics seems to be model specific i.e checking the boot for any gaps, checking panels near the exhaust area, but the actual problem seems to be engine specific. All three cars with this petrol engine (Tiago, Tigor and nexon) seems to have this problem.

@Mods please make this into a new thread if possible, might help many owners who don't have an answer.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 12:57   #2500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Tigor now has 17K km on the clock and the issue is still there!!! Even after searching in multiple threads (no specific thread is there for general niggles) I can't seem to get any answer on this!

Ironically their diagnostics seems to be model specific i.e checking the boot for any gaps, checking panels near the exhaust area, but the actual problem seems to be engine specific. All three cars with this petrol engine (Tiago, Tigor and nexon) seems to have this problem.
Does this happen exclusively when the AC is set to "fresh air" mode? Or at least its felt more in this mode compared to "Recirculate" mode? If yes - I'm suspecting its sucking in the leaky exhausts from around the flexible joint of the exhaust pipe connection after the manifold plumbing perhaps (via the engine bay i.e.)?

If its lesser in recirculate cabin air mode then its quite probably that.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 13:25   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this happen exclusively when the AC is set to "fresh air" mode? Or at least its felt more in this mode compared to "Recirculate" mode?

If its lesser in recirculate cabin air mode then its quite probably that.
It quite the opposite, Smell is strong while in recirculation mode, I have to turn on the fresh air mode to get rid of the fumes.

Scenario in which the smell occurs is when the car is above 80km/hr and the engine RPM is at least above 2.5K. It doesn't occur at lower speed no matter how much we rev the engine!
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 15:29   #2502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
A small niggle though, the HU clock is slowing down and that too quite appreciably, say 20 minutes a day. Should I be alarmed and immediately head for service centre or wait till the first service? Gurus, please advise.
My new Nexon too has software dated November 2018.

Even in my vehicle the clock becomes slow (backwards in time) in random amounts.
It sometimes becomes 7:43 --> 7:44 --> 7:43 again (happened to see it once).
Also, went from 7:44 --> 7:00 suddenly.
There is no Sync option either, as someone has mentioned in a later post in this thread. Hope it is resolved after first service.

Gear shifting (2nd to 3rd Gear):- Is not smooth. It is sort of getting stuck and we have to find the right slot to push it upwards.
balaji_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 15:39   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post

The EW thing is surely good, if it is a new initiative. My Nexon is about 1.5 years old and i don't have EW as on date. I was planning to buy it this month and will now check for the 3 year thing.
The Extended Warranty if that is what you mean by EW is something that is being offered by Tata now, as a sales promotion. Their online and newspaper ads shown below.Actually you also get a 3 years/ 40000 kms Free Maintenance as well. So, great for prospective customers.

Quote:
Extended Warranty
Opted for it of course & to my pleasant surprise, I got a 2 year standard + 3 year extended = 5 year warranty cover. Previously it used to be 2+2 I think? Not sure though.
Looks like it is a 3+ 2 years warranty. 3 years standard and 2 years additional. I got a 2+ 2 as i bought it a couple of months earlier.

Quote:
All of the dealership staff was present for the ceremony and it was a wonderful experience of those moments....
Tata has come a long way in all correct directions.
Same to same experience in my case as well.Best buying experience among Maruti ,Renault.Toyota and Tata.Renault was second best.

Quote:
Some not so cool points that I have noticed so far -
[*]The fuel lid (outer flap) was offset a bit and at the diesel bunk, it refused to lock back in. But fix was simple, Tilted it a bit in right orientation & bent the internal lock-latch 2 mms in the direction of the latch. And fixed.
This seems to be some small design flaw.Quite a few owners including myself have faced this problem.

Quote:
[*]They really should have done a better job of the storage space under the climate control. What a waste. Tata has never figured out what to do at that space & I wonder why!
In my case,the storage design actually helped. It keeps the dashcam wires tucked properly in the space thus avoiding clutter.See figure below.Sitting in the drivers' or passenger's seat,you just won't be able to figure the wires..assuming they are black as they get covered in the space.

Quote:
[*]I have a large shoe-size. Not only is the dead pedal insufficient - it actually comes in the way of fully pressing the clutch as the edge of my shoe gets blocked by the dead pedal! I'll need to adjust the angle of my foot now to avoid this. Been used to the same position for 9 years!
Fully agree with you.I too am 6 ft+ and would actually prefer not having a deadpedal..either big or small.Have always found it an impediment to comfortably rest my left foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexon-3.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Ram78 : 18th August 2019 at 16:00.
Ram78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 09:38   #2504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_b View Post
My new Nexon too has software dated November 2018.
Gear shifting (2nd to 3rd Gear):- Is not smooth. It is sort of getting stuck and we have to find the right slot to push it upwards.
Yes the clock will get fixed with software patch. Don't worry about that.

Regarding the gear, generally I faced this issue only for shifting to 1st in the first 15-20 minutes after delivery. No issues for any other gears - they are butter smooth & quite precisely gated. Please ensure you are shifting it at the right speed & not too early (many times by habit of previous car's tuning). Also ensure you are fully pressing the clutch pedal to the floor. What you have reported many times is caused by pushift too early or half-engaged clutch.

Also try to tweak your driving position. The 1-3-5 gears go a bit too far if your driving position is laid back. That means we don't put enough force when shifting from 2 to 3 as it means more effort from the shoulder . See if you can pull the seat a bit forward or reduce the recline. This might help mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Looks like it is a 3+ 2 years warranty. 3 years standard and 2 years additional. I got a 2+ 2 as i bought it a couple of months earlier.
Indeed you seem to be right. I just got my extended warranty receipt & note yesterday & indeed its 2 years. So I guess its 2+2 for me & 3+2 for those buying in August. I will be talking to the lady at NAW who looks after EW. Seems she was a bit confused & messed up the numbers.

Quote:
Same to same experience in my case as well.Best buying experience among Maruti ,Renault.Toyota and Tata.Renault was second best.
For me Renault is done for life. I had gone to the Renault Baner Pune showroom with a chequebook to book the Duster AWD prefacelift. Their approach was the worst I have seen. They tried to cheat me - probably thinking I was a first time car buyer who has never even visited a grocery store. After realizing they messed with the wrong guy, they suddenly started offering discounts and whatever as if the car wasn't selling at all (reality).

I will thank them forever as that ensured I bought the Nexon. Which was 3rd in my list after the Safari Storme (went too much over budget) and Duster AWD RXZ.

Quote:
In my case,the storage design actually helped. It keeps the dashcam wires tucked properly in the space thus avoiding clutter.See figure below.Sitting in the drivers' or passenger's seat,you just won't be able to figure the wires..assuming they are black as they get covered in the space.
Yes makes sense in your case. What I meant was they had a very similar useless slot in the console of a Vista too that served no purpose other than holding empty candy wrappers. They could easily have made a proper deeper slot here that could hold a cell phone when connected to android auto. Right now I have to keep it on the sliding tambour door - which actually fits flush luckily.

I can see why they have continued with the tambour door's grip handle going under the arm rest. While most are reporting it as a design flaw - it is ensuring there is sufficient flat space on the door to actually keep a large phone conveniently!

Quote:
Fully agree with you.I too am 6 ft+ and would actually prefer not having a deadpedal..either big or small.Have always found it an impediment to comfortably rest my left foot.
The car industry isn't too kind on us 6+ footers is it!? That too when this is a pretty common height in India!

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th August 2019 at 09:42.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:11   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
All three cars with this petrol engine (Tiago, Tigor and nexon) seems to have this problem.

By "problem", you mean the burning smell in the cabin ? If yes, are you pretty sure even NexonP suffers from this issue? asking because i have seen many people reporting this problem in TigorP, but none about NexonP. TIA.
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks