Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2021, 10:05   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Here is the latest round of info on the XUV700.
6. As I had reported earlier that there is some engine intrusion issue with the petrol XUV during front crash, Mahindra is likely to send the diesel variant for GNCAP testing. Now my sources have told me that even the MX variant is having some issues in achieving a perfect 5 star score because it has only 2 airbags which are not proving enough to get a 5 star score. Even though Mahindra is working on sorting out both the issues, we will have to wait and see which variant they finally manage to send to GNCAP.
GNCAP will provide its rating based on the MX variant only as the test protocol calls for the base variant to be tested. The higher variants can be sent only if all the safety equipment available is standard fitment across all variants.

The only 2 airbags theory does not sound right, since the current GNCAP India test protocol is the most basic and only tests for frontal offset and if the vehicle is eligible for a 5 star rating, then a side crash is also required for the final certification. From June 2022 onwards, things like ESP, side airbags, etc. will be required for 4 stars and above.

If OEM's could pick and choose which variant to send, it would dilute the whole process.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 25th October 2021 at 10:07.
fiat_tarun is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:41   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
GNCAP will provide its rating based on the MX variant only as the test protocol calls for the base variant to be tested. The higher variants can be sent only if all the safety equipment available is standard fitment across all variants.

The only 2 airbags theory does not sound right, since the current GNCAP India test protocol is the most basic and only tests for frontal offset and if the vehicle is eligible for a 5 star rating, then a side crash is also required for the final certification. From June 2022 onwards, things like ESP, side airbags, etc. will be required for 4 stars and above.
Right. All 5 star rated cars from Tata - Nexon, Altroz and now Punch - come with only 2 airbags. XUV300 also has two airbags in the base model. So side and curtain airbags don't seem to play a role in the existing test.
pseudo_coder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:42   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If OEM's could pick and choose which variant to send, it would dilute the whole process.
Thanks for clarifying buddy.

But I don't agree with the point about the dilution of the process if we consider the classic case of the Fiat 2.0 Multijet engine.

Now we all know that this engine does duty in a wide variety of cars from different manufacturers like Alfa Romeo,Jeep,Lancia,Fiat,Tata and MG etc. If you see the NCAP tests conducted on any car which comes mated to this particular engine, you will find an interesting fact that all the said cars which have been tested at NCAP are in LHD configuration. This is because of the inherent issue with the oil filter intrusion which I had mentioned in the Harrier thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-7.html (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

So this is the reason that Tata will never be able to send the Harrier twins in their diesel avatars to NCAP for testing and they will wait till they develop a new engine for the Omega platform and then get these two SUVs crash tested. Because of this I don't believe that manufacturers have no say in deciding as to which variant they want to send for crash test. Yes they need to provide the base variant as you have rightly pointed out but they can exploit the loophole in NCAPs "LHD/RHD or Petrol/Diesel are the same" philosophy.

Last edited by ram87pune : 25th October 2021 at 10:52.
ram87pune is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:06   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Ground clearance is very important on Bangalore roads, especially with potholes immediately after unscientific speed breakers. That is the main reason where I am not considering sidesteps
I am in the same boat.
Don't want to decrease ground clearance unless it is necessary.

I have an elderly family member who is fit enough to get into the vehicle without any help at this point, but of course this could change in the future.

Good thing is: You can always add the sidesteps later if and when the need arises. We will also have some reviews from people who have slapped on bigger tyres (245/60/R18 for example) in a few months to a year from now. One can consider mitigating the drop in ground clearance by doing that assuming the reviews are positive.
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:12   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So this is the reason that Tata will never be able to send the Harrier twins in their diesel avatars to NCAP for testing and they will wait till they develop a new engine for the Omega platform and then get these two SUVs crash tested. Because of this I don't believe that manufacturers have no say in deciding as to which variant they want to send for crash test. Yes they need to provide the base variant as you have rightly pointed out but they can exploit the loophole in NCAPs "LHD/RHD or Petrol/Diesel are the same" philosophy.
You are right since Tata & Mahindra are voluntarily sending cars to GNCAP and hence can choose which vehicles to test and which not to, but once they decide to test a vehicle, they cannot choose the variant.

On OEM's not testing certain vehicles, GNCAP can still test the Harrier or any other vehicle independently on their own by buying cars from the market as is their usual process.
I hope the random picking of vehicles re-starts soon as the pandemic has badly affected their testing plan.

On the XUV700, lets wait and see !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 25th October 2021 at 11:14.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:50   #2526
Distinguished - BHPian

The first Indian woman to win a medal in Paralympic Games, Deepa Malik, shares this:-

Mahindra XUV700 Review-2.jpg

Quote:
Thank you Anand Mahindra Mahindra Automotive for understanding my Twitter India post reaching out for inclusive assistance in vehicles. Just in few weeks here I am at MRV with your research team and happy to see the ongoing work.
You are a man of your words.
This is #IndiaAt75
Narendra Modi ji

#NewIndia #InclusiveIndia

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th October 2021 at 11:56. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:52   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Spotted in my Apartment
My kind of "just turned 40 middle class uncle"...

Buy India's hottest car as of today, in typical 'Lx' Trim and not spend 1600Rs on 4 plastic wheel caps.
svsantosh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:19   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the missing knee airbag might be the problem; the prediction might have to do with the modifiers for variable contact and concentrated loading for the knees. The modifiers are applied if there is a potential risk of knee injury when the knee impact area is slightly different to that observed in the ODB test (since the dummy positioning for the ODB test is based on very specific test protocol and real-world accidents may show knee impact at different positions on the fascia, some of which have dangerous underlying structures).

If these modifiers are applied, manufacturers may sponsor a generic-pulse kneemapping sled test to assess injury to the knees where the BIW is accelerated on a sled using a specified pulse (developed by EuroNCAP*) at such a yaw angle that will allow the knees to contact the potential hard point identified by testers in the fascia. Injury to the knees in these positions is assessed and if the test criteria are met the modifier(s) may be removed. Tata seems to have sponsored such a test on the Nexon to have the knee modifiers removed which explains how the ODB test score increased by +2.00 without a repeat ODB test.

For the XUV700 a possibility is that the identified potential hard point in the fascia might not be able to prevent hard contact with the knees in the knee mapping generic-pulse sled test.

Or, possibly, they're expecting either a passenger compartment integrity or footwell rupture modifier to be applied (which might be explained by the rumours about intrusion), which might prevent them from submitting knee mapping data from the generic-pulse sled test. With -1.00 point for either of the two structural modifiers and either -1.00 or -2.00 for variable contact or concentrated loading or both, achieving 5 stars will be hard (a loss of 3.00 points would make it theoretically impossible to score 5 stars, a loss of 2.00 points would make it extremely hard as it would require near-perfect scores for all other regions). Contrary to popular belief on this forum it is theoretically possible to score 5 stars with a passenger compartment integrity modifier or footwell rupture modifier applied, though it's very hard because of issues like this (since application of those modifiers consequently prevents the knee modifiers from being removed which results in a further reduction in points, like the Thar's unstable footwell which prevented the knee modifiers from being removed).

Whenever the passenger compartment integrity modifier ("The bodyshell was deemed to be unstable and incapable of withstanding further loadings") or the footwell rupture modifier ("Footwell area was rated as unstable") is applied Global NCAP will not accept kneemapping sled test data and the knee modifiers may not be removed**.

P. S. From July 2022 optional ESC is a requirement for 3 stars and above. For 4 and 5 stars it must meet a fitment rate along with some future commitments. Side (torso) airbags are not a requirement anywhere since it is possible to score a full 16.00 on side impact without them as has been proved in past LatinNCAP tests. Head protection airbags however are a requirement for 4 stars and 5 stars with different fitment rates (and for 3 stars for 2024-25) (there's a detailed table). Head protection airbags can either mean curtain airbags or seat-mounted combination torso-head airbags (like the Latin market Mk6 Volkswagen Polo). Hence, unless you count curtain airbags as side airbags, side airbags aren't really a requirement, which might explain why Mahindra has equipped some trims with curtain airbags but not side airbags (for most other models, like the basic Honda City or the penultimate trim levels of the MG Hector and Astor, it's the opposite).

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying buddy.

But I don't agree with the point about the dilution of the process if we consider the classic case of the Fiat 2.0 Multijet engine.

Now we all know that this engine does duty in a wide variety of cars from different manufacturers like Alfa Romeo,Jeep,Lancia,Fiat,Tata and MG etc. If you see the NCAP tests conducted on any car which comes mated to this particular engine, you will find an interesting fact that all the said cars which have been tested at NCAP are in LHD configuration. This is because of the inherent issue with the oil filter intrusion which I had mentioned in the Harrier thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...-review-7.html (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

I didn't think manufacturers could actually request the NCAP in question to test a given fuel type since a car specified with basic safety equipment is supposedly picked by the NCAP from the distribution area from a list of VINs provided by the manufacturer. Whether this list can be influenced to include only a specific fuel type is not something I'm sure of. Based on the fact that no manufacturer has ever had a right-hand drive car with a 2L MultiJet tested (credit to BHPian rpm's extremely detailed post (The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021)), it sure seems possible that manufacturers have found some sort of a workaround.

*European New Car Assessment Programme - Sled Test Procedure for Assessing Knee Impact Areas - Version 2.7 - Appendix I

**Global New Car Assessment Programme - Assessment Protocol (Adult Occupant) - Version 1.0 (August 2017 revision) - 3.2.1.3 Knee, Femur & Pelvis - Removal of Knee Modifiers

Last edited by ron178 : 25th October 2021 at 12:37.
ron178 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:19   #2529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Spotted in my Apartment - I am sure many others are waiting to see the same
Attachment 2223039
My kind of guy. Would buy the MX in silver and let the wheels be. Either stock steelies or alloys. No ugly hweel caps.

Quote:

1. The Zip mode is the same as the standard engine in the MX variant with 155 bhp and 360 NM of torque. Also in Zap and Zoom modes the power and torque output remain the same i.e. 185 bhp and 420/450 NM but the engine switches to a more aggressive map in Zoom mode for extra punch.
Guess prospective buyers of the MX variant can just TD the car in Zip to get the feel. Also does it mean, except for ECU tuning there isn't any other hardware changes between the 155 and 185bhp models?
Quote:
4. Mahindra has deliberately used a low dashboard design with low set AC vents so as to easily accommodate a larger touchscreen when the need arises. So it will be a relatively easy job for Mahindra to incorporate a larger touchscreen of say 12 inches during mid life update in 2025 if rival SUVs come out with bigger touchscreens.
Much preferred than tablets stuck on top of the dash.

Quote:
6. As I had reported earlier that there is some engine intrusion issue with the petrol XUV during front crash, Mahindra is likely to send the diesel variant for GNCAP testing. Now my sources have told me that even the MX variant is having some issues in achieving a perfect 5 star score because it has only 2 airbags which are not proving enough to get a 5 star score. Even though Mahindra is working on sorting out both the issues, we will have to wait and see which variant they finally manage to send to GNCAP.
Hmm... The petrol XUV700 seems to be stuck in the same quandram as the Harrier/Safari. Hope they add ESP to the MX rather than axing MX altogether.

Quote:
....to the XUV700 then it will prove to be a huge differentiator in the segment because this is a feature which SUVs costing 6 or 7 times also do not get. Only SUVs I know who have this feature are the GLS Maybach and the Range Rover which cost north of 2 Crore rupees.
Guess would suit the next gen Scorpio more than the XUV700. Also guess the Fortuner and Innova had these as dealer fitted accessories.

Again, thanks for the info.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:31   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians.

Here is the latest round of info on the XUV700.

8. Mahindra is working on a few feature additions . . . automatically deploying side steps . . .will prove to be a huge differentiator in the segment because this is a feature which SUVs costing 6 or 7 times also do not get. Only SUVs I know who have this feature are the GLS Maybach and the Range Rover which cost north of 2 Crore rupees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
The side steps would make more sense on the Body on Frame sibling "The Scorpio".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Side steps would reduce the ground clearance. They also protrude a bit, so one needs to be more careful at the traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
I would expect a significant decrease of breakover angle. Ground clearance is very important on Bangalore roads, especially with potholes immediately after unscientific speed breakers. That is the main reason where I am not considering sidesteps. Any insights on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
I am in the same boat.
Don't want to decrease ground clearance unless it is necessary.
I hope members won't mind me pitching in my thoughts. In my humble opinion, I feel that the 'automatically' deploying side steps won't protrude out while driving since they would retract within the frame of the body. Also, the loss in ground clearance might be little to none if they are able to integrate it with the body cladding like what Tata did at the Auto Expo with their Harrier prototype. The automatically deploying sidesteps would be helpful in maintaining the ground clearance while at the same time helping elderly folk to enter the car easily. Attaching a gif of automatically deploying and retracting sidesteps for better visualization. This makes me want to wait a year longer but then the price might increase to 30L by then
Attached Images

wadewilson is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:32   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
The side steps would make more sense on the Body on Frame sibling "The Scorpio". The XUV700 is a relatively easy ingress and egress SUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
The side steps were very helpful on my xuv500. Super easy to come in and out, especially for short people, kids and elderly.
I feel the side step would surely be needed for the elderly. It’s quite a step-up for the elderly and there is a strain on the knee, for them, while climbing in (in my case, already validated the need of a side step, for ease of my parents). A side step helps very much, in such times.

However, I’m actually trying to look for a foldable mini step stool, that can be slid under the passenger front seat (if space is there) or keep in boot. A permanently fixed side step or an expensive motorised step stool is not needed for us so much; parents won’t be on all drives and certainly not every day.
I’ve been informed by a friend already that a motorised side step can be between ₹1Lakh and ₹1.25Lakh.

Last edited by k_ajay : 25th October 2021 at 12:52. Reason: Additional text
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:13   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 deliveries commence

Mahindra has started deliveries of the first batch of XUV700 across India. Here's a picture of one of the first customers from Thane.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-1image.jpg

The second image is of an XUV700 'MX series', which was spotted by BHPian swarnava.ch. This is the entry-level variant. It misses out on quite a few features including alloy wheels and fog lamps.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv700_li.jpg

The XUV700 range starts at Rs. 12.49 lakh (ex-showroom), while the top-spec AX7 Luxury AT AWD variant costs Rs. 22.99 lakh.

The XUV700 comes with two engine options - 2.0-litre mStallion turbo-petrol producing 197 BHP and 380 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine that makes 182 BHP and 420 Nm (MT) / 450 Nm (AT). Both engines come with a choice of a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel-drive is also available as an option.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 09:43.
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:23   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The first Indian woman to win a medal in Paralympic Games,
After the para shooter Avani Lekhara, who won gold in the Women's 10 metres AR Standing SH1 Final, Anand Mahindra announced will gift a customised SUV to Avani Lekhara for her gold victory.

The SUV will get a mechanism that makes ingress and egress easier.

Para-athlete Deepa Malik tweeted a video of herself getting into a vehicle using a specially-developed mechanism that made ingress and egress into a car seat easier for people with disabilities.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-smartselect_20211025132241_twitter.jpg

Video

Recently Deepa Malik visited Mahindra Research Valley where she experienced the special seat designed for easy ingress and egress into an SUV.

Here's a thread for the same Link (Mahindra to develop SUVs for people with disabilities)
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:31   #2534
Senior - BHPian

I will settle for a base variant of XUV7OO diesel I don’t mind on compromising on the features but the car and engine itself makes it for all the features I’d miss! Car looks sweet as well with the base variant. A nice alloys swap would enhance the overall charm.

If I’m settling down for a base variant of this brilliant looking car, imagine how others who are non-enthusiasts would do with this price range. Mahindra has got the magic of pricing & variants absolutely spot on.

Perhaps, after Thar, this is one thread that’s quite busy & active before and after the launch of a particular vehicle isn’t it? Mods can answer
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 13:32   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra XUV700 deliveries commence

Mahindra has started deliveries of the first batch of XUV700 across India. Here's a picture of one of the first customers from Thane.
That vehicle seems to be registered on Oct 12th. So, not sure whether that's a regular delivery.
impala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks