Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 14:55   #3481
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post

So, I request our bhpians to provide me with their suggestions on the alternatives for the booking which I had for XUV700 AX7 AT
My basic and no compromise needs are :
1. Automatic
2. 7 seater (compulsory middle bench row)
3. Within 30 Lakh.
4. Less waiting period (atleast delivery before New year)

Pls help me in deciding at the earliest.
Quote:
Can someone shed some light on how is alcazar top end Variant. I got to know they launched a 7 seater AT in Signature Variant too. My initial views on alcazar was we all felt it is pretty small (as we would be transitioning from XUV500). I am really confused.
Really very angry on mahindra on their management with XUV700.
Just thought of sharing an Update here.
With lot of thoughts and Discussions, Today i went ahead and Booked the Alcazar Signature AT - 7 Seater Petrol. Had a Test Drive of it and felt it is good enough Vehicle for our needs.

As i was looking for a quick delivery, there was White or Silver readily available for delivery within 5 days. But the Family was not very fine with either of the colors. So asked the dealer to try for the Blue or the Brown for next 5 days. And then, whatever is available in the next week, we will go ahead with it.
msksalman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:15   #3482

Quote:
Just thought of sharing an Update here.
With lot of thoughts and Discussions, Today i went ahead and Booked the Alcazar Signature AT - 7 Seater Petrol Had a Test Drive of it and felt it is good enough Vehicle for our needs.
Congratulations! We have one in the family and its a great and comfortable car!
Old 7th December 2021, 17:56   #3483
BHPian

Hey Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Coming to the matter at hand, this will be our first BS6 diesel car and I'm worried about the infamous DPF issue that seems to plague almost all BS6 diesels. The thing is, during engine run-in period, we are not supposed to drive the engine at high revs, however, after reading through the posts on the forum and on the internet as well, it seems that for BS6 diesel cars, if they're driven sedately for long period and in low rpms, the DPF error crops up.
Wade, since you have a long journey ahead of you, I don't suppose driving the car at lower rpms would lead to DPF clog issues. Since it would be a new car, you can go for the low-rev engine break-in method without worrying about the DPF getting clogged, however to be honest, a lot of fellow members follow different methods for breaking-in a new car. TeamBHP has a dedicated thread to the car break-in process, which you can access through the link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...r-new-car.html (ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car)

For maintaining the DPF further down the line, I would suggest you read this informative post by a fellow TeamBHP member. Sharing the link for the same:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/qa-abo...problems-india

Cheers! for the new purchase and Happy Driving!

On Another note, I've been following the Facebook group for XUV7OO owners and it seems few niggles are being reported. Came across this post and seems like a potential lemon has squeezed in Hopefully, Mahindra wakes up at the earliest to resolve these issues, with a concurring issue being of the noisy brakes. As per Ram87pune's post, Mahindra is using Minda on XUV and maybe upgrading to Grimeca would solve it. Wondering how much would a set of Brembo cost and if at all, can be put on an XUV?

Attaching screenshots of the Facebook post for your kind perusal.

Source: Mahindra XUV7OO Owners Club Facebook Group
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-264623644_4740574159332199_6943317303473044993_n.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-264673337_4740573009332314_1576220851359729904_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 7th December 2021 at 18:09.
Moto_Bear is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:07   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Hello guys... I was in a search of a SUV in the price bracket of 10-15 lakhs. In that price, I found the Sonet HTX DCT to be ticking most of the boxes. But then, after having a look at XUV700's on-road pricing, I felt that spending additional 10 lakhs could fetch me a more bigger and better car. So decided to choose the XUV700's AX7 AT variant after doing a through comparison between the XUV700, Safari and Innova Crysta. Now the confusion is whether to opt for the Petrol AT or the Diesel AT. My usage pattern is mostly in the city with few highway trips and my annual running won't exceed more 6-7k kms. Now, the on-road price difference between the Petrol AT and Diesel AT is of 1.3L. Considering that I would keep the car for about 7 years, would it make sense to buy the Diesel over the Petrol? Few things to note are that I live in Thane,Mumbai and here the Petrol vs Diesel prices are 110 vs 95 rupees. Considering the AdBlue and running costs, would it be better to take the additional headache that the DPF would give?

PS: I have owned only petrol cars till date and really want to experience the Diesel. Should I buy the Diesel or stay away from it?
I opted for AX5 Diesel AT, Mahindra has kept very minimum diff between diesel and petrol prices. In case you are good to loose ADAS feature, i would suggest to take a look at Petrol AT.

Here is quick calculation for you (my apologies for bad handwriting)

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_0177.jpg-

With diff of 20K, it will take you approx 6 years to recover upfront cost, one other thing will work in favor of petrol is random rule changes, with growing pollution levels, while Thane will not have issue but i am not confident that one fine day Mumbai gets 10 year old diesel rule !

Having said that diesel will give you better fuel economy which will shield you in case any changes in your yearly usage pattern, i also believe diesel will have better resale cost.

Options you should think over.

1. Save money upfront - go for petrol AT.
2. Don't save money - use it for higher Petrol AT variant instead of diesel AT.
3. Get best of both the worlds - Choose diesel AT variant in lower trim( AX3/AX5)

I would suggest 3, that will also help you to reduce impact of new prices in 2022, I am assuming they will follow same path they did with Thar and we should see significant increase in prices.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:29   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Wade, since you have a long journey ahead of you, I don't suppose driving the car at lower rpms would lead to DPF clog issues... On Another note, I've been following the Facebook group for XUV7OO owners and it seems few niggles are being reported.
Thank you so much Moto_Bear. Hugely appreciate it

Also, I received a call from the Area Sales Manager that two customers had cancelled their AX7L AT (Petrol) bookings and he was asking me if I wanted to take one. He told me the cars had arrived the day before, one in Dazzling Silver and the other in Electric Blue (I can't properly remember the color name he said, my apologies for mistake in the color names). Price would be same as applicable on 7th October and when asked about PDI, he said I can take delivery by tomorrow itself if I'm satisfied with the car It took every ounce of strength of will to say no, and pass on the car. He thanked me for my time and cut the call. But before he did, I asked whether he had any idea regarding my delivery and he said, as per his system he could see that delivery date shown for him was - 24th December. He said that while he cannot 100% guarantee, he is confident that my delivery date won't be pushed further and that vehicle would be billed soon and would reach dealership before 24th December. Fingers crossed. Hope the delivery saga ends soon.
wadewilson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:29   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
In another news, the eKUV is likely to be launched by the end of next year and will be placed below the Nexon EV. It will have a targeted range of 300 plus kms and will be 4 star rated at GNCAP.
If you claim they plan to launch it by the end of next year and they're aiming for a four star adult protection rating, then that looks like it would be hard, unless they're planning to make some drastic (but welcome) changes to the KUV100.

Under Global NCAP's July 2022-25 adult protection assessment protocol, for four stars, even putting aside a good combined front+side impact score (more than 22.00 out of 34.00 including 2x16.00 for front and side impact and 2x1.00 for front and rear seatbelt reminders) there are additional requirements:

Name:  4.png
Views: 1513
Size:  135.1 KB
Addition requirements for four stars for adult occupant protection in future protocol

Name:  6.1.1.png
Views: 1507
Size:  63.1 KB
Minimum market fitment rates for ESC for four stars

Name:  6.1.2.png
Views: 1496
Size:  31.6 KB
Pedestrian protection requirements for four stars

On the other hand, unless Tata makes ESC at least an option on the Nexon EV it's not possible for them to score more than 2 stars for adult occupant protection under next year's protocol. They do have it as a standard fitment on the combustion version, which is good.
Quote:
6.3 Additional Requirements for 3 stars
6.3.1 ESC (Electronic Stability Control)
For 2022 and 2023 ESC shall be optional without a minimum fitment rate. For 2024 and 2025 identical requirements as set in section 6.1.1 apply.
ron178 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:11   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Will it be okay to bring home the car driving in low RPM? Or how should I go about it? Thank you for the advice.
I'd suggest you follow what the manual says, and err on the side of caution. They have done ample research on their product and should know, however being a bit more cautious don't really hurt.

Based on what I have read about DPF, my impression is that even if clogged, it can unclogged via an active regeneration process. There are some good threads on it on the forum, especially this (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer) I suggest you read it.

Personally, I'd worry lesser about short term DPF use, and be more concerned about proper running in, but it is subject to the company recommendations.
~~~~~~

My views on running in shared on the forum a long time back are
here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra))
and part 2 here (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra))

The said vehicle is a BS4 version, and after a decade of use, felt smoother than the new ones I have been test driving. I imagine proper running in played a role.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:38   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I'd suggest you follow what the manual says, and err on the side of caution. They have done ample research on their product and should know, however being a bit more cautious don't really hurt.....
Hiya Poitive, thank you for sharing the links with me, I'll be sure to check them out. On a side note, I have been driving a Creta (1.6L Diesel) for three years and I followed the run-in process and I am in love with the way it performs. No idea if it was a placebo effect or not, but I have been religiously following in the run in period for our other BS4 diesel cars as well. Anyway, sorry for going off topic, I'll surely refer to Mahindra's manual's advice regarding run-in period. Cheers mate
wadewilson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:14   #3489
BHPian

Hi All,

Wanted to share some observations from my recent highway drive over the weekend, which was around 370Kms (including 30% city driving) in my AX5 P AT. Below are the trip details:

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211205_135512_2.jpg

I was able to get a mileage of 13+ based on the information display. While I did not calculate exact tank-to-tank, the figure seems to be fairly accurate based on my fuel top up in between.

While I would not say I was driving light footed in any way, I was definitely not going all pedal to the metal since its a new car . I did hit the 120 km/hr reminder several times though, and generally drove in the 80-100 km/hr range.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211205_134609_2.jpg

Mileage: As noted above, I am satisfied with this mileage considering the size of the car, and also considering the city run in between. Although if it had touched 15, it would have been awesome (wishful thinking I know).

Ride and Handling: I am not very educated about suspension setups, but the FSD suspension definitely appears to have an impact at high speeds. Having driven a xuv500 and scorpio before, it is safe say the xuv700 has improved by leaps and bounds. Body roll is negligible and the car easily soaks up potholes without losing stability. Driving dynamics are definitely better than my Gen 1 Creta, and seem closer to a sedan.

Engine and transmission: The mStallion engine and Aisin transmission are a match made in heaven. The car silently purrs along like a NA car would when at low speed, but as soon as you push the pedal hard the transmission is quick to downshift and bring the engine to life. Initially I thought Mahindra had been unfair to the petrol engine by not giving it drive modes. Turns out the car is always in Zoom mode, you just need to press the pedal

Braking: The brakes have sufficient bite and inspire confidence. I did not drive over wet patches or gravel however, so no comments on ABS and EBD.

Interior comfort: The car was very comfortable over the long ride and people on the backseat were very happy with the legroom. While the seats are on the firmer side, this became beneficial over the long ride.

NVH: This was the part I was most impressed by. The car was extremely silent at even high speeds, and several people in the car even commented that they did not feel the car was on when it was idling or at low speeds. While many people have been doing economy wise calculations when deciding between petrol and diesel, I think improved NVH should also be one of the considerations.

Cons:

- The IRVM is very bad and rattles a lot at high speed. The night visibility is also very bad as only part of the reflection shifts properly when toggling day/night.

- The sunroof sun shade also rattles a bit when driving on uneven roads at high speed (with shade open and roof closed). Not sure if this is common with all cars as this in my first car with a sunroof.

- While the light steering does weigh up as the speed increases, the weight increase is a bit sudden, which initially surprised me, but was easy to get used to.

- Android Auto is still not working, and fiddling with the inbuilt navigation is very time consuming. There should ideally be a way to add destinations in the map using the Adrenox phone app to make this easier.

- I could not find any inbuilt music app in Adrenox, but Alexa is able to play random songs from Hungama music and Jio Saavn when asked to play music. Surprisingly, Alexa is not able to play music from Amazon Music!

- The door handles are very difficult for anyone new to figure out, so you will need to either open the door for them or wait for them to figure it out after several rounds of instructions. This becomes even more difficult in the dark, so any lighting or indications around the handles would have helped

Also, the first service reminder came on at the end of the trip (200Kms before it was due). It also gives a reminder every time you start the car, so eventually I caved and took it for a service.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211205_135507.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2021 at 04:57. Reason: Typo
nasir88 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 09:26   #3490
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Hey Everyone!

On Another note, I've been following the Facebook group for XUV7OO owners and it seems few niggles are being reported. Came across this post and seems like a potential lemon has squeezed in Hopefully, Mahindra wakes up at the earliest to resolve these issues, with a concurring issue being of the noisy brakes. As per Ram87pune's post, Mahindra is using Minda on XUV and maybe upgrading to Grimeca would solve it. Wondering how much would a set of Brembo cost and if at all, can be put on an XUV?

Attaching screenshots of the Facebook post for your kind perusal.

Source: Mahindra XUV7OO Owners Club Facebook Group
I would like to clarify at the outset that I am neither an owner nor am I potentially interested in the XUV. With that out of the way, I could not help but chuckle at some of the problems raised by the owner on the FB group (no offense intended to anyone).

1.) & 2.) : Genuine problems. Maybe a loose connection somewhere.

3.) Did he expect Tesla FSD like experience? What does he exactly mean when he states "not working properly"?

4.) Expected with most of these connected car services.

5.) When/Where/How and what is the frequency? Does it perform a complete reboot?

6.) That means you need to upgrade the speakers. You should have bought the L variant if you are an audiophile.

7.) Refer to point 4.

8.) High speed driving usually involves hard braking. I read somewhere on this forum that sometimes the rear brakes get jammed if handbrake is engaged immediately post prolonged hard braking (due to brake liners sticking to the drum in drum brake equipped cars and the pads on the discs in case of the 7OO). This *maybe* the QC issue that ram87pune was referring to.

9.) What else did you expect with a 200hp engine powering a >2ton car?

Apart from point 1 &2, all the other points seem to be a case of mismatched expectations to me. I may be wrong in my assessment. Calling the whole vehicle a lemon seems a bit over the top to me. Thanks anyways Moto_Bear for bringing the perspective of a common user to this thread.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:51   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post

Apart from point 1 &2, all the other points seem to be a case of mismatched expectations to me. I may be wrong in my assessment. Calling the whole vehicle a lemon seems a bit over the top to me. Thanks anyways Moto_Bear for bringing the perspective of a common user to this thread.
I agree, this vehicle is a well built vehicle. Software issues will always be there and they can always be fixed via an update. What is more important is not having mechanical issues/niggles. Anyone who owned the first few batches of XUV500 would know the pain. Comparing the initial 500 with the initial 700, its a quantum leap for Mahindra in terms of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
Hi All,

I was able to get a mileage of 13+ based on the information display. While I did not calculate exact tank-to-tank, the figure seems to be fairly accurate based on my fuel top up in between.

FE - That's impressive FE. My Petrol MT gave me around 11 kmpl on a 700 km highway run with full 7 adults onboard. What was the loading factor for you ?

Sunroof - I have been driving on non existent roads for the last mont month and there has not been any rattling noise from anywhere in the car. In fact, the new sunshades I installed also don't rattle. You might want to get it checked. Also the IVRM doesn't and should't rattle.

Navigation - You are spot on. The typing feedback and general usability of the maps app, leaves a lot to be desired. I stopped using the maps app and started using my phone app instead. It's easier, faster and intuitive. Also the inbuilt maps app doesn't bring up the required results as Google Maps on a phone.

Alexa - You would think, Alexa would play music from Amazon music. But I believe once CarPlay/android auto is enabled, and it lets you login to Amazon, we should be able to play music from Amazon Music. However Hungama and Jio Save seems to have a good collection,

Door Handles - Thank you for echoing my sentiment on the door handles. In the dark it becomes excruciating. Mahindra are you listening.

Service - I got the first service reminder as soon as the ODO touched 800 km, while the dealer had indicated that the service is due only at 1000km.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:09   #3492
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing a test drive experience.

My friend who owns a BMW crossover and is a keen driver of all kinds of vehicles happened to test drive the Petrol AT variant , AX7L, in Ooty.

Verbatim? As good as a BMW.

He happened to take it through the infamous Sigur ghat in Ooty and did some serious speeds through it all, very impressed.

He did mention that from a driver's perspective it is better than the Lexus sedan and Kodiak which he happened to drive recently. On the very rough surface where you take it slow you do however get some amount of side to side movement typical of Mahindra, it does not ride flat like an Innova through very rough surface.
Kosfactor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:50   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sharing a test drive experience.

Verbatim? As good as a BMW.
Kosfactor, that was exactly my sentiment. It drove like a BMW 3GT. That's the closest match I reckon.

Although, I did feel some hollow thudding, not too bothersome but still there. Hopefully, it will be resolved by August 2022.
fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 15:47   #3494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post

FE - That's impressive FE. My Petrol MT gave me around 11 kmpl on a 700 km highway run with full 7 adults onboard. What was the loading factor for you ?

Sunroof - I have been driving on non existent roads for the last mont month and there has not been any rattling noise from anywhere in the car. In fact, the new sunshades I installed also don't rattle. You might want to get it checked. Also the IVRM doesn't and should't rattle.
Thanks. My car was only carrying 3 passengers during the trip, with 5 people sitting in for only 50 kilometers, so that would have probably helped my mileage!

The rattling is something which I noticed only at highway speeds when the road was uneven. I'll analyze it more closely and get it checked if it continues.
nasir88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 17:03   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Saw XUV700 for the first time on road in Horrible Blue color today. I guess it's called Electric Blue or something but looked really terrible in person on road. How can Mahindra launch such colors on such an important car? Don't know who approves such colors for them.

Overall car looked ok but too much similar to XUV500 from side angle. Doesn't look like major update from outside at least over XUV500.

Last edited by aniketi : 8th December 2021 at 17:04.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed