Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 24th September 2018, 13:54   #11236

Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

After waiting for FCA for a year to come up with a solution for the weak headlights on the Jeep Compass, I finally got frustrated enough to upgrade to HIDs. During my research for the upgrade I considered all the top brands for HID & LED including Morimoto. I also bought 2 pairs of Philips HIR 9011 halogens as advised by Behemoth in the forum. Thanks for your advice Behemoth, the light output from the 9011 are better than the stock headlamps. Not your fault that I was still not satisfied with the throw and lumen output. I got a couple of scares owing to the low throw distance of the halogen lamps.

I came across a hobbyist by the name of Abhishek (+919818952900). This guy has invested a lot of time to understand the different kits and components used in the making of a HID/LED lamp. He started out to get upgrades for his own cars and then ended up getting lamps made to specification and delivered for friends and then friends of friend’s cars. I was convinced by his in-depth knowledge on the subject and went for an HID imported by him under the brand name UGlare. The said set emits 3200 Lumens at 4500Kelvin, so it is not white but whiter than the stock halogens. The stock headlamps were ~1650 Lumens so increased brightness is immediately visible, and the throw distance is marginally longer, they being limited by the shutter-like mechanism that regulates the low & high beams. I believe if the headlamp housings/projector housings can be tilted a trifle upwards the throw distance for low beam will be satisfactorily increased. Abhishek/UGlare has provided 2year warranty for the HIDs.

Below are the specifications of the HIDs for the benefit of others in the forum if they’d like to upgrade:
  • ASIC, highly integrated, more efficient and stable.
  • Copper + PET material package for input and output wires, high level quality, strong electromagnetic interference shielding function.
  • Precisely constant power output reaches ±0.5W, no matter the voltage from 8V-16V, the output power is always maintained at 35W to protect the car electronic system.
  • Smart Canbus system – approved by 99% vehicle, like BMW series F10/F20, Dodge Ram Truck series, Mercedes Benz Series, Jeep series, etc… No error message & No extra Canbus cable request.
  • 24 months warranty

Canbus Ability Fit 99% Cars
  • Input Voltage 9-16V
  • Maximum starting current 5.5A 13.5V
  • Steady current 13.5V 3.1A 24V 1.7A
  • Output power 35W / 55W±1W
  • Operation frequency 200Hz
  • Operation temperature -40℃~+105℃
  • Rush starting voltage 23000V±3000V
  • Radiated EMI susceptibility S95/54/EC;
I’m happy with the upgrade and would readily recommend the same to fellow jeep owners.

Name:  T4_05.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  129.1 KB

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2018 at 14:05.
abhoumick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 15:11   #11237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
After waiting for FCA for a year to come up with a solution for the weak headlights on the Jeep Compass, I finally got frustrated enough to upgrade to HIDs. During my research for the upgrade I considered all the top brands for HID & LED including Morimoto. I also bought 2 pairs of Philips HIR 9011 halogens as advised by Behemoth in the forum. Thanks for your advice Behemoth, the light output from the 9011 are better than the stock headlamps. Not your fault that I was still not satisfied with the throw and lumen output. I got a couple of scares owing to the low throw distance of the halogen lamps.

I came across a hobbyist by the name of Abhishek (+919818952900). This guy has invested a lot of time to understand the different kits and components used in the making of a HID/LED lamp. He started out to get upgrades for his own cars and then ended up getting lamps made to specification and delivered for friends and then friends of friend’s cars. I was convinced by his in-depth knowledge on the subject and went for an HID imported by him under the brand name UGlare. The said set emits 3200 Lumens at 4500Kelvin, so it is not white but whiter than the stock halogens. The stock headlamps were ~1650 Lumens so increased brightness is immediately visible, and the throw distance is marginally longer, they being limited by the shutter-like mechanism that regulates the low & high beams. I believe if the headlamp housings/projector housings can be tilted a trifle upwards the throw distance for low beam will be satisfactorily increased. Abhishek/UGlare has provided 2year warranty for the HIDs.

Below are the specifications of the HIDs for the benefit of others in the forum if they’d like to upgrade:
[list][*]ASIC, highly integrated, more efficient and stable.[*]Copper + PET material package for input and output wires, high level quality, strong electromagnetic interference shielding function.[*]Precisely constant power output reaches ±0.5W, no matter the voltage from 8V-16V, the output power is always maintained at 35W to protect the car electronic system.[*]Smart Canbus system – approved by 99% vehicle, like BMW series F10/F20, Dodge Ram Truck series, Mercedes Benz Series, Jeep series,
Attachment 1801553
Great to know that you finally upgraded to HID.. I too have been sitting on the fence for a long time. The 9011 bulbs while being a 50% improvement over stock still are lacking the levels put out by HID. HID lamps at 35W put out around 3500 lumens which is much higher than the 2500 of 9011 bulbs. When driven at 42w (some ballasts) or 50W (Morimoto) they can out upto 4200 lumens.
In fact I also have a pair of HID Asic ballasts from Dmex and HB3 4300K 35W HID bulbs sitting with me since the past 6 months but I just did not want to risk the warranty yet. Maybe I will put them in after some time.
In your HID bulbs do you get any shadow from the Bulb rod ? Some users have reported a shadow from the bulb rod with HID. I will also most likely take the HID path soon as the headlights of the Jeep Compass in the Limited version are absolutely pathetic!

This is what I got:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/327967...st.32796715744

To adjust the headlight angle manually this is the hex key that you need. With this you can raise or lower the reflector.
JCB-2 WAY T HANDLE HEX KEY, 6MM https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071GRDQY3/..._illQBbKXZBKQW

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th September 2018 at 15:20.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 00:00   #11238
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I will soon be getting delivery of LED H4 and H7 for my Yeti from AliExpress. And I will tell you if the 'bulb out' error comes up...
Got delivery of LED H7 (fog light) and P13W (DRL) from AE today and tried it on. I tried without the canbus decoders/resistors (which I ordered separately) and both H7 (fog) and P13W (DRL) lit up without any canbus error (i.e., no errors in maxi-dot). So that's good news! Hoping to get delivery of H4 (headlight Hi-lo) in a day or two so, I would have a complete picture on the canbus errors by then.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote